How conditional sentences are mixed
Unreal conditionals (type II + III) sometimes can be mixed, that is, the time of the if clause is different from the one of the main clause.
1. Past → Present
- If I had taken an aspirin, I wouldn't have a headache now.
2. Past → Future
- If I had known that you are going to come by tomorrow, I would be in then.
3. Present → Past
- If she had enough money, she could have done this trip to Hawaii.
4. Present → Future
- If I were you, I would be spending my vacation in Seattle.
5. Future → Past
- If I weren't flying to Detroit, I would have planned a trip to Vancouver.
6. Future → Present
- If I were taking this exam next week, I would be high-strung.