Infinitive with to – English Grammar
Examples with the Infinitive with to
After the following phrases we use the infinitive with to in English:
1. after the first
- Gagarin was the first to fly in a spaceship.
2. after the last
- Peter was the last to watch the film.
3. after the next
- He is the next to get his passport.
4. after adjectives
- I'm happy to be here.
- It's better not to smoke.
5. after special verbs (agree, choose, forget, hope, learn, promise, regret*, want, )
- I learn to drive a car.
* After regret the to-infinitive is used when announcing bad news: We regret to inform you that the flight to Munich has been cancelled.
6. after question words
- I don't know what to say.
- Can you tell me how to get to the bus stop?
7. after want/would like
- I want you to help me.
8. after Verb + Object
- I helped my dad to clean the car.
- I want to help you. (I help you.)
- I want you to help me. (You help me.)