How to write a summary in English
Remember to summarize the text you have read. Use the following tips:
- Shorten the text in such a way that all facts are in the summary. Leave out examples, evaluations and interpretations.
- Skim the text. You should know what is the main content of it. Read the headline carefully.
- Read the text again to understand more details. You must have understood the whole text.
- Make notes (use keywords). Underline important words in the text.
- Form sentences with the help of your keywords. These sentences should reflect the main content of the text.
- Connect the sentences using suitable conjunctions. The first sentence should describe the main content of the text.
- Use Simple Present or Simple Past. Write sentences in Reported speech.
- Sometimes you have to change the persons.
- Check your summary. Watch out for spelling mistakes.