Let's speak English here.
Antworten
cydox
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Deutsch

patters grammar

Beitrag von cydox »

Hello,

I am it again :) I am sure you can remenber at your time at school. The teacher said: Learn the if-classes to tomorrow! And in this situation I am now. I hate it to learn the grammar rules very strict so I have decided to translate some funny patters in English.
The first one is: "Ich könnte es dir erklären, aber dein Gehirn würde explodieren". I read it on a t-shirt. I think it is relate to the form of possibility, but I am not sure. Now it is my turn. I would say: I could explain it to you, but your brain would/would have been/ would be exploded. Which one is correct or what does this forms mean?

Friendly regards,

Cydox

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Re: patters grammar

Beitrag von Duckduck »

cydox hat geschrieben:Hello,

It's me again :) I am sure you can remenber at your time at school. The teacher said: Learn the if-clauses until tomorrow! And I am in this situation now. I hate it to learn the strict grammar rules, so I have decided to translate some funny patters??? (what's that, then?) into English.
The first one is:
"Ich könnte es dir erklären, aber dein Gehirn würde explodieren".

I read it on a T-shirt. I think it has something to do with the conditional, but I am not sure.
Now it is my turn. I would say:

I could explain it to you, but your brain would/would have been/ would be exploded. Which one is correct or what do these forms mean?

Kind regards,

Cydox
Hi Cydox,

do you mean to say your teacher expects you to know the if-clauses all of a sudden, out of the blue, without warning? Not easy to believe, I must say. :wink:

Now your example from above isn't even an if-clause, because it doesn't have an "if". What is it you have to learn, now? The Conditional Tenses or the if-clauses?

Look, honey, I will explain them as simply as possible:

:watch: There are 3 types of if-clauses, in each of them there is a given combination of tenses.
:watch: In the main clause (= Hauptsatz) you find the statement about what will happen/not happen, and in the subordinate clause (= Nebensatz, introduced with "if") you find the condition (= Bedingung) which must be fulfilled/not fulfilled.

1. Typ:

Wenn ich es Dir erkläre
, wird Dein Kopf explodieren.
If I explain it to you, your head will explode.

Nebensatz: Präsens (Present Tense)
, Hauptsatz Futur 1 = (will+Infinitiv)

Aussage: Es gibt eine gute Möglichkeit, dass ich Dir eine Erklärung gebe, aber dann musst Du damit rechnen, dass "Bumm!"

2. Typ:
Wenn ich es Dir erklärte
, würde Dein Kopf explodieren.
If I explained it to you, your head would explode.

Nebensatz: Konjunktiv (= Past Tense im Englischen)
, Hauptsatz Conditional 1 = (would+Infinitiv)

Aussage: Die Chance, dass ich es Dir erkläre, ist nicht mehr ganz so groß, aber wenn ich es täte, dann würde "Bumm!".

3. Typ:
Wenn ich es Dir erklärt hätte
, wäre Dein Kopf explodiert.
If I had explained it to you, your head would have exploded.

Nebensatz Plusquamperfekt = had+3. Stammform, Hauptsatz Conditional 2 = (would+have+3. Stammform)

Aussage: Die Chance ist verpasst, es ist zu spät, ich kann es Dir nicht mehr erklären - dafür explodiert aber Dein Kopf auch nicht!

Hope that helps!

Good luck says
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

cydox
Slow Speller

Beitrag von cydox »

Hi,

thank you for your help. No, my teacher did not expect the condition suddenly, because we have learned it in the last form. But my English competition is not the best :wink:
I am going to try using the if-clausses:

If he had not warned me I would have been crashed into the man who has gone by bike. (Type 3, Is it correct?)

If I have holiday next week, I will traine my musculuture of arms. :freu: (Type 1)

Would you belive me, if I showed you. (Type 2)

Kind regards,

Cydox

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

cydox hat geschrieben:Hi,

thank you for your help. No, my teacher did not expect conditionals suddenly1, because we have learned it in the last form. But my English competition2 is not the best :wink:
I am going to try using the if-clausses:

If he had not warned me I would have crashed into the man who went by bike. (Type 3, Is it correct?)

If I have holiday next week, I will train my arm muscles. :freu: (Type 1)

Would you belive me, if I showed you. (Type 2)

Kind regards,

Cydox
No comma in if clauses.

1 - I'd say "all of a sudden" or "did not suddenly expect"

2 - Competition (=Wettbewerb) doesn't make sense.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

tiorthan hat geschrieben:Hi,

thank you for your help. No, my teacher did not expect conditionals suddenly1, because we studied them in the last form. But my knowledge of English is not the best :wink:
I am going to try using the if-clauses:

If he had not warned me, I would have crashed into the man who went by bike. (Type 3, Is it correct?)

If I have holiday next week, I will train my arm muscles. :freu: (Type 1)

Would you believe me if I showed you. (Type 2)

Kind regards,

Cydox

@Cydox, well done, considering. Good luck for your exam!

No comma in if clauses.
@tiorthan, in fact there is a comma in case the subordinate clause precedes the main clause. If it is the other way round -> no comma.

Cheers
Duckduck

1 - I'd say "all of a sudden" or "did not suddenly expect"

2 - Competition (=Wettbewerb) doesn't make sense.
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Antworten