hello:)))

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Gast

hello:)))

Beitrag von Gast »

Hello:)))
I am a teacher/Net-surfer and found this very nice place by accident.
I speak German very little though I used to speak much better so when someone would like to exchange some views in English, write some nice letters in English or can teach me some German or is interested in biology/botany/ecology and want to write about some problems in English/need some help/or he/she likes travels and visited some nice places specially English- language area interest me - mostly Great Britain and IRELAND - you are welcomed to write about/exchange views:)))

THANKS FOR READING:)))
bh123

Gast

hello:)

Beitrag von Gast »

Hello:)))
Where am I from? I am one of numerous neighbours of Germany:). Vielen Dank for your nice welcome here:) I teach biology@ecology and still learn.
Taking advantage of the fact I have found such an interesting place I would like to ask some people, who would be so kind to answer me, what is their (German) best idea of learning English? Going out and staying in English speaking country??? Other???
And what an ideal (if it is possible at all) coursebook should look like? I mean – should it have all orders in native language + English phonetics should be included in glossary??? It seems to me publishing houses that deal with English language resources (specially coursebooks) are more and more often very lazy and give all orders in English language + no English pheonetics included in glossaries of most coursebooks. How is it in Germany? Should I really have to use English dictionary to have a phonetics of every new word? Should I deal with orders written in English instead of my first language?!?
And do you know BC exams like FCE, CAE, CPE in Germany? Do people take them?

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES, if any:)))
I am just curious:)))
bh123.

Curie
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Curie »

Welcome! :freu:

In my opinion the best opportunity to learn English is in fact to visit an English speaking country. But it depends on your knowledge of the language. I think it doesn't make sense if you are a beginner. Sure, you can learn the language in a passive way, but you won't be able to speak it by your own.
It would be more profitable, if you had the ability to construct a few sentences.
Should there be orders in English or in native language.

I think to give orders in native language is only useful for beginners, because they cannot learn i.g. the grammar with a lack of understanding.
My perception is that advanced students should be trained to understand everything in English, though there are different attitudes concerning this issue.
Some course books are written in German except the exercises, some write the orders in English and in the next line the German translation. Moreover there are books only written in English.
Mostly German written books contain a list of vocabularies including phonetics. My school books, English written, f.e. offer vocabulary lists without phonetics, except there is a word with an extraordinary one.

Should I really have to use an English dictionary to have a phonetics of every new word.

I don't think that there is a necessity to use a dictionary for every new word, because there a basically common rules for pronounciation. Only a few words have a different pronounciation. You should know the rules and only look up in a dictionary if are not sure.

Should I deal with orders written in English instead of my first language.

Why not? It is additional practice.

I know BC exams only from the Web, but there seem to be some people who take them. I think they give them more chances related to their profession.

LG

Gast

Hello:)

Beitrag von Gast »

Hi Curie:)
I have read your post with highest interest. THANKS:)
I like many of your ideas. Once again - going away the best idea for qiuck learning. "Necessity is mother of invention" - they say. But talking to native speakers (specially at the beginning of learning process can be very frustrating experience sometime). Plus including all local dailects, slangs... learning English and every other English can be more troublesome we could imagine, probably!
As deals orders in English - in my country new form of maturity exam has been introduced and all orders on this level are given in national language. And truly speaking I like it. Why? Cause I think, very often, the more advanced level of English the more advanced orders and students can have problems with understanding them. Really. Our new maturity exams (German Abitur) resemble British Council tests to some degree.
We have basic level and addtional level both in written part and oral part.
During written part of maturity exam on basic level you have to:
listen to and understand, read, write
and on additional level:
the same + more advanced vovabulary + know some grammar structures.
As deals oral part of English test during maturity exam in my country
on basic level you should take part in three short dialogues with person who supervises the exam, then desribe a photo you will have presented and answer to questions connected with it. On advanced level you have to present your ideas about so called stimulating stuff and exchange some views with invigilator and next to present your own topic and tell about it (longer item). I think it is OK. Are you able to write to me how these things look like in Germany?
Well - as deals phonetics. Sure. Some general rules do exist (the same with exceptions to them:( ) so better to have glossary - it is safer probably. Though I don't know. But more and more often we deal with so international English language resourses that no phonetics there. It irritates me very often.
And my last, not least question - what is German opinion about role of teaching CULTURE of particular country in learning proccess. Do you think it is valid to remeber about cultural elements while learning English or you mostly don't care about?
THANKS FOR ANSWERS, if any. Nice to read you :)
bh123:)))

Antworten