Looking to learn German (will help with English)

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Steven89
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: English

Looking to learn German (will help with English)

Beitrag von Steven89 »

Hello everyone,

My name is Steven. I'm 19 and come from Derby, England. I'm currently learning German (2 months), and am looking for a language partner with whom I can practice my German. Of course I will be willing to help you with your English as well. I'm looking for someone I can chat online with. We can chat via MSN, Yahoo, or even by E-mail. I don't mind.

If anyone thinks they can help me learn German, and also wants help with their English, please post here, or PM me. I really want to learn German. I really like Germany, and I think the language is brilliant!!

Thank you very much! :mrgreen:

kaddy
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von kaddy »

hey
i would help you but my english isnt the best...but its ok =)

Steven89
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Steven89 »

Well that's the beauty of a language partner. You help me with my German, and i will help you with your English. If your interested in chatting some time (MSN, Yahoo, E-mail) just PM me your Emial address or MSN ID.

While I'm here I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. I have some sentences that I wrote in German, and now I'm trying to add a string of verbs to the end of them, which is confusing. Anyway, here are the sentences:

...Und der Fremdling sagtet zu mir. "Gib mir dein rechtes Bein und ich werde dich lassen leben." Also, ich fand selbst mit dem Fremdling über welche Karosserieteile dass ihm war sprechen werden essen.

Can I put the verb 'sprechen' before the preposition 'über' in the second sentence?
I've seen this being done in some German songs. For example this line from a Rammstein song: "Wir müssen leben bis wir sterben." Here the verb "leben" has been placed before the preposition. I always thought the verb had to got to the end of the sentence. Which would make it: "Wir müssen bis wir leben sterben."
So could I place my verb at the same position, so the sentence would look like this:

Also, ich fand selbst mit dem Fremdling sprechen über welche Karosserieteile dass ihm war werden essen.

The sentences when translated to English should mean:

... and the Alien said to me. "Give me your right leg, and I will let you live." So, I found myself talking to the Alien about which body part he was going to eat.

Sorry I couldn't ask my question in German, but as you can tell from my German sentences, my German is very poor. :roll:

Thanks for any help!

kaddy
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von kaddy »

in the first sentence it must be '...und ich werde dich leben lassen.' but i cant tell you why :roll:

and the second sentence, i think, 'karosserie' means car or something like a car. maybe you say 'körperteile' that means arms, legs etc.

i dont know if its right but i think in the main sentence the verb is the second part of the sentence and in the sub sentence the last.

your sentence: 'Also, ich fand selbst mit dem Fremdling sprechen über welche Karosserieteile dass ihm war werden essen.' is correct when you translate 'myself' with 'mich selbst' and 'talk to' means 'sprechen mit' so you can say '...ich fand mich selbst wie ich mit dem Alien sprach [past tense]'. you put 'about' between 'Alien' and 'sprach'.
you cant use 'werden' in this sentence because its plural the singular form of it is 'wird' (the alien is only one person!): '...darüber welche körperteile er essen wird.'
The whole sentence: Also, ich fand mich selbst wie ich mit dem alien darüber sprach, welches körperteil er essen wird.

i hope i could help you a bit =)

sponge
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: turkish

Beitrag von sponge »

Steven89 hat geschrieben: "Gib mir dein rechtes Bein und ich werde dich lassen leben." Also, ich fand selbst mit dem Fremdling über welche Karosserieteile dass ihm war sprechen werden essen.

the first sentence is wrong because "lassen" has to refer to the subject and that's why it has to stand in the end. If you put "leben" in the end it refers to the subject and that can't work as "leben" is an intransitiv verb(it can't stand with an object).
When you use the future 1 (in this case "Ich werde lassen")the auxilary verb(werde) and the verb(lassen) haven't the same position like in the englisch language.
the verb comes usually to the end.

in german you have several alternatives to put the words in a certain order as opposed to english.
In english the both objects(direct and indirect) are identical and thats why you have to stick to the rules.

Steven89
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Steven89 »

kaddy hat geschrieben:in the first sentence it must be '...und ich werde dich leben lassen.' but i cant tell you why :roll:

and the second sentence, i think, 'karosserie' means car or something like a car. maybe you say 'körperteile' that means arms, legs etc.

i dont know if its right but i think in the main sentence the verb is the second part of the sentence and in the sub sentence the last.

your sentence: 'Also, ich fand selbst mit dem Fremdling sprechen über welche Karosserieteile dass ihm war werden essen.' is correct when you translate 'myself' with 'mich selbst' and 'talk to' means 'sprechen mit' so you can say '...ich fand mich selbst wie ich mit dem Alien sprach [past tense]'. you put 'about' between 'Alien' and 'sprach'.
you cant use 'werden' in this sentence because its plural the singular form of it is 'wird' (the alien is only one person!): '...darüber welche körperteile er essen wird.'
The whole sentence: Also, ich fand mich selbst wie ich mit dem alien darüber sprach, welches körperteil er essen wird.

i hope i could help you a bit =)
Thank you very much Kaddy! I appreciate the help with my sentences. But I don't understand why the word wie is in this sentence:

Also, ich fand mich selbst wie ich mit dem alien darüber sprach, welches körperteil er essen wird.

Can you help me understand this? Is "wie" being used as a conjunction? Meaning "as" if so i still don't understand it's use here :roll:

Oh, and Karosserieteile is the word for body part according to the LEO Deutsch translator, though it's probably wrong. körperteil makes more sense to me. :big_thumb:
sponge hat geschrieben: "Gib mir dein rechtes Bein und ich werde dich lassen leben." Also, ich fand selbst mit dem Fremdling über welche Karosserieteile dass ihm war sprechen werden essen.

the first sentence is wrong because "lassen" has to refer to the subject and that's why it has to stand in the end. If you put "leben" in the end it refers to the subject and that can't work as "leben" is an intransitiv verb(it can't stand with an object).
When you use the future 1 (in this case "Ich werde lassen")the auxilary verb(werde) and the verb(lassen) haven't the same position like in the englisch language.
the verb comes usually to the end.

in german you have several alternatives to put the words in a certain order as opposed to english.
In english the both objects(direct and indirect) are identical and thats why you have to stick to the rules.
Thanks you very much for the clarification. How do you know if a verb is an intransitive one or not?

I think I understand some the verb placement. I have a book I got from Amazon that I'm reading about German grammar. Hopefully it will help me to understand some of this better.

Thanks you both again! :big_thumb:

kaddy
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von kaddy »

you can also write '...selbst mit dem alien darüber sprechend, welches ...'
but when you use 'wie' it sounds better. i cant explain it exactly but i think you can use 'wie...sprach' instead of 'sprechend'

Steven89
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Steven89 »

kaddy hat geschrieben:you can also write '...selbst mit dem alien darüber sprechend, welches ...'
but when you use 'wie' it sounds better. i cant explain it exactly but i think you can use 'wie...sprach' instead of 'sprechend'
Interesting. I still don't fully understand this yet, but the gears are turning.... everything should click into place soon :big_thumb:

Thanks again for the help.

kaddy
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von kaddy »

actually i dont know why you use 'wie'...but when i get an explanation i'll write it to you ;)

i sent the email address hope you got it =)

sponge
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: turkish

Beitrag von sponge »

Steven89 hat geschrieben:Interesting. I still don't fully understand this yet, but the gears are turning.... everything should click into place soon :big_thumb:

hey steven,
in german there are two kind of the partizip: partizip2:e.g. gegessen, ich habe den apfel gegessen.
partizip1:e.g. sprechend, das sprechende kind
the verb is a partitip2 in that example

Steven89
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Steven89 »

sponge hat geschrieben:
Steven89 hat geschrieben:Interesting. I still don't fully understand this yet, but the gears are turning.... everything should click into place soon :big_thumb:

hey steven,
in german there are two kind of the partizip: partizip2:e.g. gegessen, ich habe den apfel gegessen.
partizip1:e.g. sprechend, das sprechende kind
the verb is a partitip2 in that example
Ahh... the all knowing Sponge :freu:

Thanks for clearing that up!

Englandgirl
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: german

Beitrag von Englandgirl »

Hello, I wanna learn English

Friederike
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von Friederike »

Hello, i wanna learn english, too. My english is very poor and terrible. I hope somebody can help me and write some sentences to me???
Some facts about me - maybe for talking:
I´m 25 yaers old. I have a child. A little boy, who is 7 months young. I have a dog.
I like do go running or swimming. And i´m very unhappy about the wether, now. Cold and every day it´s raining.
My job is to help old people in a "seniorhospital" with the daily things. But since 2 years I study social work. Next year i write my bachelor thesis.

Nice Greeting, Friederike

enzomk09
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von enzomk09 »

Hi ,

my name is markus. Iam from Germany. I wanna lern english ? My english ist not very good, but I go this year for three months in the usa.
I hope sombody can help me to improve my english? :)

Some facts of me .
Im 20 years old. Im a student and go in the twelfth class. In my leisure time I play football and Im a big Manchester United fan.

Nice Greeting
Markus

Sweet_devil
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Sweet_devil »

Steven89 hat geschrieben:
kaddy hat geschrieben:you can also write '...selbst mit dem alien darüber sprechend, welches ...'
Interesting. I still don't fully understand this yet, but the gears are turning.... everything should click into place soon :big_thumb:

There are many ways in which "wie" is used. And you're right, "wie" means something like "as" or "like".You can use it to compare things.But you have to be careful becuase sometimes you use the word "als".There is also the possibility to use "wie" when you want to ask someone how something is done.For example: "Wie wird Papier hergestellt?"

Hope I coul help you a little bit.;)

If I've made a mistake in explaining please correct me.^^

Antworten