First Century AD (or BC) in German?

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
prr
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English

First Century AD (or BC) in German?

Beitrag von prr »

I am a native English speaker. I like how in the German language, it is standard to express the century by using the number, and then "year hundreds." When I was translating German texts in grad school, I would read something like ochtzen yahrhunderts (sorry it was a long time ago) or something like that, for 1800s. That is a very practical way of expressing it. In English, the more formal way is to say "nineteenth century," which is ok, but you have to do the mental gymnastics every time you hear it, and tell yourself that when you say the number "19," you really mean the 1800s.

OK. My question is, what is the German phrase for the first century AD--that is, the years 1 through 100 AD?

Duebner
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: English

Re: First Century AD (or BC) in German?

Beitrag von Duebner »

prr hat geschrieben:I am a native English speaker. I like how in the German language, it is standard to express the century by using the number, and then "year hundreds." When I was translating German texts in grad school, I would read something like ochtzen yahrhunderts (sorry it was a long time ago) or something like that, for 1800s. That is a very practical way of expressing it. In English, the more formal way is to say "nineteenth century," which is ok, but you have to do the mental gymnastics every time you hear it, and tell yourself that when you say the number "19," you really mean the 1800s.

OK. My question is, what is the German phrase for the first century AD--that is, the years 1 through 100 AD?
Isn't it just "ersten jahrhundert"?

I always thought the german system of centuries worked the same; i.e. Achtzehnten Jahrhunder = Eighteenth Century = 1700-1799

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Keswick »

The first century A.D. in German is "das erste Jahrhundert nach Christus".
Like Duebner said, the 18th century would be 1700-1799, the 19th century would be 1800-1899 and so forth.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Antworten