what's the better way to improve your english?!

Alles was zum Lernen gehört.
How to learn effectively.
Antworten
elly
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

what's the better way to improve your english?!

Beitrag von elly »

hey, I'm interested in your opinion... :)

do you think it's better to read a book in German first and then, the second time, in English or the other way round? (with English as foreign language, of course :wink: )
how can you improve your language skills more effectively, what do you think?

MLS
Story Teller
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von MLS »

That's a good question.... :read:
Personally I would not read the book in German first as I think that I would be too lazy to read the English version afterwards... :zzz: I would read the English book and see how much I was able to understand. It would be a possibility to read some German parts that you did not understand in English but I think you do not learn more if you read the whole book twice.
But that's a matter of opinion...

elly
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von elly »

no other opinions? :wink:

BloodyLiquid
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von BloodyLiquid »

That's really a good question. I have always either read a book in English or in German but never the same book in both languages. But I guess, it is better to read the English book first. I would probably not pay much attention to the book if I already knew the German one. It should be better to read the English book first, to see how much you can understand, and if you have trouble understanding the plot, you can read the German book, to get everything right.

But that is just the way I would do it ;)
Das Leben ist zu kostbar, um es dem Schicksal zu überlassen!

celica
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von celica »

I think that it's more interesting to read a book in English, that you havn't read in German before. :wink:
But i think this opinion can be different from person to person.
I prefer to read a Book in English... at the moment i'm reading the first Book of Harry Potter, because i have to improve my English for my future Job and i think that this is a good way (besides others) to get back into the English language.

But i also think that you have to talk and to write a lot of English to get more experience in the active use of this language. Reading should be only one part of your plan. :mrgreen:

EDIT:

One additional question: Does anybody hear one of the Harry Potter Audiobooks ? I would like to hear some experiences.... do you learn english better if you listen to it ?

Antworten