What can I do?

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
erdin
Bilingual Newbie

What can I do?

Beitrag von erdin »

hey,

my name is Mario, I am an 17 years old pupil and I go to a gymnasium.
I had to repeat this schoolyear because my english is not so good. That is why I decided to find a student, who can help me in this subject. I learn six hours a week to learn more vocabulary ...
I take two extra lessons at home, one extra lesson in school and I have three lessons a week with my classmates. You see? Even in this easy sentence I make some mistakes or even I say nonsense.

Today I get back my english test..."Mangelhaft"
"I am so stupid" That`s what I first thought.

My english teacher means that I did not answer the questions correct, and I made so much mistakes (FQ: 4,36)

She also suggested that I did not participate in class. She is right, but I think, she did not know the reason for it. I am not a language talent, but I would like to be it, because english is very important and I am interested in it.

My weakness:

- build more complicated sentences
- use the wrong vocabulary, because I think from german to english.
- to answer questions, which get to the heart (auf den punkt bringen)

What can I do?
Does anybody have the same problems? Can anybody help me?

Please correct my text, if something is wrong[/i]

Johno_uk
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von Johno_uk »

hey,

my name is Mario, I am (A)an 17 year old pupil and I go to a (GRAMMAR SCHOOL)
I (AM REPEATING THIS) schoolyear because my english is not (VERY) good. That is why I (HAVE)decided to find a student, who can help me in this subject. (I LEARN VOCABULARY FOR SIX HOURS A WEEK)
I take two extra lessons at home, one extra lesson in school and I have three lessons a week with my classmates. You see? Even in this easy sentence I (WILL) make some mistakes or even say nonsense.

Today I get my english test (BACK)..."Mangelhaft"
"I am so stupid" That`s what I first thought.

My english teacher (SAYS) that I did not answer the questions correct(LY), and I made so (MANY) mistakes (FQ: 4,36)

She also suggested that I did not participate in class. She is (WRONG ;) ), but I think, she , does not know the reason for it. I am not a language talent, but I would like to be , because english is very important and I am interested in it.

My weakness(ES):

- build more complicated sentences (I NEED TO BE ABLE TO CONSTRUCT MORE COMPLICATED SENTENCES)
- use the wrong vocabulary, because I think from german to english.
- to answer questions, which get to the heart (OF THE MATTER) (auf den punkt bringen)

What can I do?
Does anybody have the same problems? Can anybody help me?

is wrong

() is better or correct

Hi Mario, I made some corrections for you, but honestly everything you write would be understood by a native speaker. I think your teacher is wrong to suggest you don't participate as then you will never get better!
That's right Liiiinndaaaa, the umpa lumpa

Sweetie
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Sweetie »

Hey,

maybe you look for a pen pale, who is a native English speaker. I think, the best way to learn a language is to practise it!!!

Robert
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: Italienisch/Deutsch

Beitrag von Robert »

talk talk talk... not I dont mean the television programme :mrgreen:
Thats the only way to learn a language. Write a lot and you will be better in grammar and expression[glaube, dass für Ausdruck ein anderes Wort hierhinsollte, aber welches?]. Do you need to practise your [Aussprache]? Or only grammar? Good luck for improving your English.
please correct any mistakes I made

travelgirl
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von travelgirl »

Read english books! Maybe that helps you to get a better feeling for the language. Also try to read them aloud for yourself!!!

I sometimes talk English to myself, but I´m a freak :freak2:

Don´t stop speaking! Even if you make mistakes, one can still understand you! I know the thing with grammar and eypression is very important in school, but try the books! Don´t look up every word, but try to get the main idea- that´s not too difficult...

raincat
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von raincat »

travelgirl hat geschrieben:Read english books! Maybe that helps you to get a better feeling for the language.
That's really true! Reading English books is a good possibility to get language feeling ... for me much more memorable than learning grammar rules by heart.
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling. Margaret Lee Runbeck

roodi
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von roodi »

I think Johno_uk is right in thinking that you would be understood by a native spaeker. That's the most important thing right there. It is important that you do not get discouraged (which is what your teacher is doing to you right now :( ). I teach German to American kids in Florida and their main problem is that they are scared to do what you just did in writing this post - just go ahead and talk (or write), even though you make mistakes.

A pen pal is a great idea (as long as you acutally write to him regularly... which often is not the case). Whenever you watch a DVD, put it on the English language track (with English subtitles, that way you get a better feel for spelling, as well).

I would actually like to recommend a book to you that I wrote recently. It is called "Dammit, Lucas!" and available at http://www.amazon.de. It is a bilingual novel for teens, written both in English and German. It's about two German kids at Gymnasium and starts out in German. Then one of the protagonists goes to the US and the language switches to English. The reason why I recommend this book is because one of your problems is that you "think in German". "Dammit, Lucas!" is a fairly short, fun story that highlights the differences between American and German teen culture - and the way the kids talk because of their different cultures. It might give you some ideas on how to approach American colloquial English.

Hope this helps!

dave-it
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: german

Beitrag von dave-it »

I can just agree with all the other posts so far. it's all about practicing. i'm not talking about studying, because I always wanted it to be fun. So, just go and read books in english. You don't really need to have special books that give you the vocabulary, just read it. The first english book I ever read was harry potter. it really helps a lot and the books aren't that expensive.

Or another possibility to improve is to watch english movies. If you have a dvdplayer, just go and switch the language to english. Even if you can't really follow the action, just give it a try, and once your brain gets used to the diferent language it will be easier for you. Watching movies in english really helps a lot. Just give it a try. And sometimes it's easier if you turn on the english subtitles, too. Because if you can't understand what they just said, you can read it.

Just try it. Your english can only get better, and it's lots of fun, too.

David

theinterpreter
Slow Speller

Beitrag von theinterpreter »

sup (short for: what's up) Mario!
Yeah, I absolutely agree with dave. Watching dvds is probably the best method, and buy yourself a PONS dictionary and the Longman DCE. PONS offers you good translations as far as your vocab is concerned, the DCE is a monolingual dictionary, which offers you standard phrases and gives you hints on how to avoid common mistakes.
Another good thing is to watch CNN international or the BBC news, have a dictionary ready and look up the words you don't know and start your own glossary, that's how i started in 9th grade.
You could start translate the lyrics of your favorite songs, you learn quite a bunch there.
got a question??? No prob

erdin
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von erdin »

thanks a lot...

I watched two movies in english and I think you are right! It helps a lot..Reading a book is for sure a second good methode to improve my "english" ;)

Thanks for your answers :)

btw:

is anybody searching for a person to improve his english knowledge?
I mean to chat is a third good methode isn't it?

Antworten