when "all" is genitive, must it always have genitive ending?

Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

when "all" is genitive, must it always have genitive ending?

Beitrag von edmont »

...zu einer klassenübergreifenden Verständigung all derer zu kommen, welche...

Here, "all" should not be read "of all", correct? 

The phrase is not talking about "coming to a class-overarching understanding of all of those, who..."

In other words it is not the people designated by "all of those," who are to be understood.

It is talking about "all of those" coming to understand the world in a way that transcends class.

Have I got that right?  Thank you for any assistance.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: when "all" is genitive, must it always have genitive ending?

Beitrag von tiorthan »

My first idea was "... to come to a class-overarching understanding of everyone who ...".
I'm not 100% sure because I don't know what "derer" refers to. It must be people though, otherwise it wouldn't be "derer" but "dessen"
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

tiorthan, here is a more complete quote:

Bis in die sprachliche Form hinein, behält Karl im Auge, was für die Realisierung als notwendig erscheint: zu einer klassenübergreifenden Verständigung all derer zu kommen, welche sich aus innerer Einsicht auf den Boden der Erklärung stellen können

If it were these people who are to be understood, rather than that these people are to understand life in a class-transcending way, wouldn't "all" have some kind of ending attached to it, so that it means "of all" ?

Thanks for the help.

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

edmont hat geschrieben: tiorthan, here is a more complete quote:

Bis in die sprachliche Form hinein, behält Karl im Auge, was für die Realisierung als notwendig erscheint: zu einer klassenübergreifenden Verständigung all derer zu kommen, welche sich aus innerer Einsicht auf den Boden der Erklärung stellen können

If it were these people who are to be understood, rather than that these people are to understand life in a class-transcending way, wouldn't "all" have some kind of ending attached to it, so that it means "of all" ?

Thanks for the help.
Hi edmont,

the important word seems to be "klassenübergreifend(en)". Kalli wants to gather and unite all of those people who have - by their own choice - come to consider his ideas as true - regardless of their social background, i.e. the class they stem from.

I'm not sure if you might have misunderstood the word "Verständigung" in the above sentence. It does not mean "understanding" in the sense of "having an idea what makes somebody tick" but "agreement" here. 

Cheers,
Kalliduck :chief:
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

Ah hah!  Now it all makes sense.  Neither of my two interpretations was right.

It was not that these people were to

understand the world in a class-transcending way,

nor

understand one another in a way that bridged the different classes they were from. 

It was that they were to

come to an understanding, to an agreement on the declaration, and that agreement would transcend the different classes from which they came.

Magnifico Duckduck!  It's so great to learn this. Thank you.

Well, now it seems that the highlighted word "all" as used in the German sentence is not in the genitive, correct?  In other words, "all derer" does not mean "of all of those" -- it just means "all of those"

zu einer klassenübergreifenden Verständigung all derer zu kommen, welche

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

Suddenly I'm no longer sure of my third interpretation either! I've just noticed that I may have been misreading sich stellen. I thought it meant something like standing on the ground of the declaration [auf den Boden der Erklärung] -- but now I wonder if it means here something like yielding oneself to the Agreement/Verständigung... ?  And I'm no longer sure what "welche" refers back to:

Antworten