I need your Help (Translation)

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
London
Bilingual Newbie

I need your Help (Translation)

Beitrag von London »

Hi everybody!
The situation: At the Site: http://www.hp-fc.de we`ll want to translate the lessons (Lessons about Harry Potter and other topics) into english.
Now, my problem: My english...you can say it`s not so good (I think you notice that...) but I want to know HOW good.
So I try to translate a lesson into english.
The German Text:

Hallo liebe Schüler,

mein Name ist Professor West und ich unterrichte hier das Fach ITG.
ITG ist die Abkürzung für Informationstechnischer Grundkurs.
Ihr sollt hier lernen, wie man die grundlegenden Dinge am Computer bearbeitet. Ach ja, ein Computer ist eine Erfindung der Muggel, die ihnen angeblich die Hälfte der Arbeit abnimmt – allerdings auch viele neue Probleme schafft. Trotzdem solltet ihr davor keine Angst haben, denn auch ein Computer ist nur eine Maschine. Wenn man ihm das richtige ‚sagt’, d.h. die richtigen Befehle gibt, dann wird auch er auch das Richtige ‚tun’.
Manche Leute behaupten, in den meisten Fällen sitzt das Problem vor dem Computer. Und damit wir das ausschließen können und ihr euch etwas besser in der Muggelwelt zurecht findet, wird in Hogwarts dieser Kurs angeboten.

Viel Spaß dabei!

Professor Robin West

My translation:
Dear students,
my name is Professor West and I teach the subject ITG.
ITG is the abbreviation for Informationstechnischer Grundkurs (keine Ahnung wie es auf Englisch heißt)
You should learn here, how you arranged the basic things on the computer.
By the way,a computer is a invention by muggles, which ostensibly do the half work from the muggles – but I makes also many new problems.
Although you shouldn’t have panic before this, the computer is also just a machine.
When you „said“ the right things, that means, gave the right industrutions, than the computer will „do“ the right.
Some people say, mostly the problem sits bevor the computer.
Therewith we can bar this and you can orient you in the world of muggles, you can learn this things in hogwarts.

Have fun!

Professor Robin West

I know there are many many mistaces...please help me to correct them.

Yours, London

Sofie
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Sofie »

Hi London,
I'm sure, I havent't found every mistake, but here are some sentences which I found:

-... how TO ARRANGE the basic things...
-...but it also makes many new problemes
-... although you shouldn't BE AFRAID OF this...
-... mostly the problem sits IN FRONT of the computer

Hope I could help you a little bit!

Bye :wink2:

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

Kleine Ergänzungen zu Sofies Beitrag

-Lass das „the subject" weg = I teach ITG
-You will learn how… (Ist zwar keine 1:1-Übersetzung, klingt m.E. aber besser.
-Is AN invention, ich würde aber insgesamt auf ”was invented by” gehen, ist idiomatischer!
-Which DOES half of the work OF the …(du meintest doch den Computer, oder?)
-But it also CREATES many new problems
-The computer is just a machine, (Lass das “also” weg, das ist Denglisch)
-When you „SAY“ the right things, that means GIVE…will „do“ what it is supposed to do.
-The problem USUALLY sits in front of…
-This course is offered in Hogwarts to avoid all this and help you find your way around in the world of Muggels

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

Sorry, kleine Berichtigung:

This course is offered in Hogwarts to avoid all this and help you find your way around the world of Muggels

Das "IN" vor "the world of Muggels" muss weg.

Antworten