Hello from Bavaria

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
Astro
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: deutsch

Hello from Bavaria

Beitrag von Astro »

Hi guys,

my name is Astro and I am from Germany/Bavaria. I have been learning English for 1 year and I like the English language really. I am here to improve my English and to learn something.

Regards

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: Hello from Bavaria

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Welcome to the forum.
Astro hat geschrieben:Hi guys,

My[sub]1[/sub] name is Astro and I am from Germany/Bavaria. I have been learning English for 1 year and I really[sub]2[/sub] like the English language really. I am here to improve my English and to learn something.

Regards
1 - Unlike German, English capitalizes the beginning of each paragraph even when it is preceded by a greeting.
Anders als im Deutschen wird im Englischen der Anfang eines Absatzes immer groß geschrieben, auch wenn eine Begrüßung vorausgeht.

2 - This is not entirely clear as there are two possibilities:
Dies ist nicht gänzlich klar, da es zwei Möglichkeiten gibt:
  • I really like ...
  • I like .... Really!
The second one is kind of a reinforcing exclamation, like saying I don't kid you.
Das zweite ist eine Art verstärkenden Ausrufs, als ob man sagt Ich verarsche dich nicht.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

rkrueger
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von rkrueger »

Hello,

I'm a newby too. I made a course paid by the Arbeitsagentur at an Institute. My level is, on paper between B2 and C1. Okay, common English, no Business English. I like it to talk to other people. I like it to learn about people and language. Please tell me more about you, that we have a topic to talk about.

Astro
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Astro »

Hey guys,

Thanks for correcting me. I am a student in the south of Germany. Hmmm What should I tell about me? I am interested in traveling and I like girls :wink:

Last year I went to England for the first time, I was on a language school for a few weeks. It helped me a lot because I was able to improve my English skills and the speaking helped me. But I didn't like England, it was cold and the food was terrible. I think I won't travel to England again but it was a nice experience.

What's about you?

Regards

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

rkrueger hat geschrieben:Hello,

I'm a newby too. I took[sub]1[/sub] a course paid by the Arbeitsagentur at an institute[sub]2[/sub]. My level is, on paper[sub]3[/sub] between B2 and C1 on paper. Okay, common English, no Business English. I like it to talk to other people. I like it to learn about people and language. Please tell me more about you, so that we have a topic to talk about.
1 - Auf Englisch macht man keinen Kurs. Make könntest du benutzen, wenn du den Kurs ausarbeitest, damit andere ihn belegen können. Neben take wäre zum Beispiel auch attend möglich.

2 - Die Regeln zur Groß- und Kleinschreibung auf Englisch sind:
  • Das Wort I wird immer groß geschrieben.
  • Jeder Satzanfang und jeder Absatzanfang (auch wenn der Absatz in einem Satz beginnt, wie bei der Anrede von Briefen) wird groß geschrieben.
  • Namen werden immer groß geschrieben. Darin eingeschlossen sind alle geografischen Namen, die Namen von Nationalitäten und Sprachen. Das gilt anders als im Deutschen auch dann, wenn der Name wie ein adjektiv gebraucht wird.
  • Sogenannte proper nouns werden groß geschrieben. Proper Nouns sind so ähnlich wie Namen und bezeichnen Dinge die einmalig sind. So wird zum Beispiel in der Regel the Internet groß geschrieben.
Alles andere wird klein geschrieben. Im Zweifelfalls schreibt man lieber klein.

Für Überschriften und andere besondere Textsatzsituationen liegt der Fall anders. Hier gibt es keine einheitlichen Regeln aber es gibt mehrere in Details unterschiedliche Guidelines.

3 - Kein Komma an der Stelle. Das on paper ist eine Ortsangabe und Ortsangaben stehen erst am Ende des Satzes.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Astro hat geschrieben:Hey guys,

Thanks for correcting me. I am a student in the south of Germany. Hmmm What should I tell about me? I am interested in traveling and I like girls :wink:

Last year I went to England for the first time, I was in a language school for a few weeks. It helped me a lot because I was able to improve my English skills and the speaking helped me. But I didn't like England, it was cold and the food was terrible. I think I won't travel to England again but it was a nice experience.

What's about you?

Regards

rkrueger
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von rkrueger »

First: thanks for the fanfastic service to correct my mistakes. :big_thumb:

Traveling is cool, but it depends on the destination. I've heard about the terrible English cuisine and the unpleasant weather. I'm planning at the moment a trip to England and I'm not sure about the travel destination. On my list are London, Brighton and Birmingham. The priority is that there is no difficult regional dialect. BTW, girls are nice. :D

This year I was in Malta for two weeks. After my time at the language school I took some days off and flew to the mediterranean. It was nice, but there was no highllight on the island. The holiday wasn't expensive. My goal was it to improve my English skills and get practice. But Malta isn't the right place for that. The Maltese language is a mixture of Arabic, Turkish, French, and Itanlian. English is almost the language to talk to tourists and other foreign people. The weather was okay and the food like in other popular tourist destinations: Pizza, Burger, and so on.

What are you experiences about your time in England? Where you were in England?

I wish all a NYE and a friendly 2012
Greets

Astro
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Astro »

Hey,

I would recommend to go to Londond, because it is the most interesting city of these all. My impressions from England are - cold and grey. The weather is not really good but in the summer months it is okay. I didn't like the English food, but there are so many restaurants and takeaways that everybody finds the right food.

But this is just my opinion, maybe you will like the English-food.

Regards

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

rkrueger hat geschrieben:First: thanks for the fanfastic service to correct my mistakes. :big_thumb:

Traveling is cool, but it depends on the destination. I've heard about the terrible English cuisine and the unpleasant weather. I'm planning at the moment a trip to England at the moment[sub]1[/sub] and I'm not sure about the travel destination. On my list there[sub]2[/sub] are London, Brighton and Birmingham. The priority is that there is no difficult regional dialect. BTW, girls are nice. :D

This year I was in Malta for two weeks. After my time at the language school I took some days off and flew to the Mediterranean. It was nice, but there was no highllight on the island. The holiday wasn't expensive. My goal was it to improve my English skills and get practice. But Malta isn't the right place for that. The Maltese language is a mixture of Arabic, Turkish, French, and Italian. English is almost exclusively the language to talk to tourists and other foreign people. The weather was okay and the food like in other popular tourist destinations: Pizza, Burger, and so on.

What are you experiences about your time in England? Where were[sub]3[/sub] you in England?

I wish all a NYE[sub]4[/sub] and a friendly 2012
Greets
1 - Zeitangaben stehen am Ende oder ganz am Anfang eines Teilsatzes (hier werden durch das and zwei Hauptsätze miteinander verknüpft).

2 - Da "on the list" nur ein Adverbial ist muss vor dem Prädikat, das in diesem Satz mit are beginn, noch ein Subjekt stehen. In Sätzen in denen es nur um Vorhandensein geht wird das Wort "there" als Ersatzsubjekt verwendet.

3 - In Fragesätzen (egal ob mit oder ohne Fragewort) steht das Verb vor dem Subjekt. Wohlgemerkt nur das Verb und nicht das gesamte Prädikat.

4 - Was? Falls du New Year's Eve meinst, das brauchst du uns nicht wünschen, das kommt von ganz allein.

rkrueger
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von rkrueger »

Okay, then I'll put my sight on London. Maybe I find a nice location there. I saw an interesting offer: bed and breakfast, one week under 400,-€. Probably I'll stay in a hotel in the city of London. But this year there is a little problematic situation: on the 27.07.12 will start the Olympic Games in London. :zzz:And I think that affordable rooms will be very rare this time. :rolleyes: No problem, I'll find something, sooner or later.

I guess that you mean with - cold and grey - the towns itself, do you?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

If you are trying to get a place to stay in London during the Olympic Games, then I suggest you start looking now and book before the end of January. The prices will rocket the closer you get to July.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

rkrueger
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von rkrueger »

Keswick hat geschrieben:If you are trying to get a place to stay in London during the Olympic Games, then I suggest you start looking now and book before the end of January. The prices will rocket the closer you get to July.
Or I postpone it into the October, that's another possibility. I've time and no pressure about this trip. Beside planing the trip itself I try to establish contacts to (or better in?) England. My experiences with Malta have shown me that it is better to know somenone at (or on?) the destination. Especially as I'll stay there only for one week. A fantastic opportunity would be to work as an volunteer for an non-gov organisation or association. Work together with people the whole time in a team. BTW, I'd reject offers to stand in pedestrian areas with a magazin of a well-known religious group in my hand. :out: One week means two days travel, three days work, and 2 days seightseeing. Keswick, you are from (or in?)the UK. Do you have an idea how this could be possible to do? On the other hand the UK has a consulate where I could ask for. Why not...?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

rkrueger hat geschrieben:
Keswick hat geschrieben:If you are trying to get a place to stay in London during the Olympic Games, then I suggest you start looking now and book before the end of January. The prices will rocket the closer you get to July.

Or I postpone it to the October, that's another possibility. I've got time and no pressure about this trip. Beside planing the trip itself I try to establish contacts to (or better in?) England. My experiences with Malta have shown me that it is better to know someone at (or on?) the destination. Especially as I'll stay there only for one week. A fantastic opportunity would be to work as an volunteer for an non-gov organisation or association. Work together with people the whole time in a team. BTW, I'd reject offers to stand in pedestrian areas with a magazine of a well-known religious group in my hand. :o But: One week means two days travel, three days work, and 2 days sightseeing. Keswick, you are from (or in?)the UK. Do you have an idea how this could be possible to do? On the other hand the UK has a consulate where I could ask for. Why not...?

What do you want to ask the consulate about? They have nothing to do with job issues. Neither does the embassy. If you need information on jobs I would recommend Job Center Plus or the Government website(s). Having said that, rkrueger, finding work for 3 days... is that what you are planning to do? If that's the case then I am afraid it's unrealistic. It would take longer than 3 days to actually set up your contract so for most companies it's not worth the effort, do you know what I mean? Also, in order to work in the UK you need a National Insurance number. You won't get this if you don't have a permanent address in the UK.

Can I suggest that you don't bother trying to find a job for 3 days, but rather spend those 3 days talking to people in pubs, restaurants etc? That's probably a lot more effective.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Keswick hat geschrieben:
rkrueger hat geschrieben:I've got time
Alternativ die eher amerikanische Form "I have time" ohne Verkürzung.
Der Grund ist, dass nur Hilfsverben verkürzt werden. Das Wort "have" in der Bedeutung besitzen ist jedoch ein Vollverb. (In gesprochenem Englisch wird das Vollverb zwar auch verkürzt, die Aussprache unterscheidet sich jedoch vom 've).

rkrueger
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von rkrueger »

Hi Keswick,

it could be that I've expressed myself not correctly about the "job". I don't want a regular job for three days. You're right, that's ridiculous. I talked about a place as a volunteer to help an organisation or association in their work or for a celebration or an, whatever. I want to work for free only to meet people. As a guest or friend let's say. It's easier to communicate with other people when you are a member of a group or you are announced. Can you agree with that? It's no job, it's for fun. And when I talk to or with older people in an association about Lower-Saxony. That only for example. My target is to establish contacs in the UK before I arrive there. There is no topic, I'm complete open for ideas.

And about talking to people in pubs or restaurants: that can I do in Hannover too. But a chat in a pub or a restaurant is not to compare with a talk in such situations that I've described before.

Thanks for correcting me. :big_thumb:

Antworten