The importance of goal setting

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
ibri
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: deutsch

The importance of goal setting

Beitrag von ibri »

Nietzsche said: The world has no purpose. You need to conquer this, as it's results in despair. A good solution is to find the purpose in yourself. Against this backdrop, Ggal setting may help you.

Many successful athlets set goals in order to win. Well, why do they do this? Goal setting structures you life. Due to this method you know what is important and therefore you can focus on the nitty-gritty. The result of using goals is that one is more successfull, as one concentrates just on the basics without getting lost in details. Hence, for all those who want to performe well in life goal setting is usefull.

But what are good goals. Well, that are SMART goals. Goals need to be specific, measureable, achievable, relevant (work on your weaknesses) and time-phased (both long- and short-tearm goals). And last but not least, good goals must be positiv: So do not say "Do not fail!", but "I will pass the exam!"

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: The importance of goal setting

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Hi ibri and welcome! :)

What do you want us to do? Correct mistakes, comment on your text or buy your book and attend seminars?! :wink:

Cheers
Duckduck :prost:
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

ibri
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von ibri »

Hi Duckduck,

Comment on the text and correct my mistakes, please.

Best regards
ibri

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

ibri hat geschrieben:Righto, here goes!

Nietzsche said: The world has no purpose.

You need to conquer this supposition, as believing in it must results in despair. A good solution is to find the purpose in yourself. Against this backdrop, goal setting may help you.

Many successful athletes set themselves goals in order to win. Well, why do they do this? Goal setting structures your life. This method helps you find out what is important and focus on it, while leaving the unimportant aside. In other words: setting yourself goals makes you more successfull, as you concentrate just on the basics without getting lost in details. Hence, for all those who want to performe well in life, goal setting is usefull.

But how to find good goals? Well, good goals are SMART goals. Goals need to be specific, measureable, achievable, relevant (work on your weaknesses) and time-referenced??? (both long- and short-tearm goals). And last but not least, good goals must be positive: So do not say "I will not fail the exam!", but "I will pass the exam!"
Have a nice weekend!

Duckduck

ibri
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von ibri »

Oh, many mistakes. Thank you. Don't you want to comment on the topic?

Have a nice weekend, too!

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Well, ibri, what do you want to use it for? :big_thumb:

The text is quite alright as far as I can see, but - to be honest - it doesn't really say very much, does it?
I mean, you start with Nietzsche, the reader expects something fairly philosophical - and then you go on stating the obvious, repeating it twice. Finally, there is a not very helpful definition of a "good goal".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be offensive, the "tone" of the text simply reminds me of these "How to live happily" books I can't stand, since repeating a simple truth again and again doesn't make it more conspicuous *shesaidrepeatingthesimpletruthofherstatementforthesecondtimethusmakingamockeryofherself-justsothatibribenotoffended* :wink: :prost: :jo:

Duckduck

ibri
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von ibri »

In my opinion the definition of a "good goal" is really good and easy to remember. SMART = Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-phased.

In the following, I will explain, why good goals are SMART goals.

First, goals need to be specific: "I will improve my grammar!" for instance is a really bad goal. "I will improve my grammer in if-clauses!" is a much better goal, as it is specific.
Second, goals will be good, if they are measurable. Therefore, outcomes are good. An good example might be: "I will have 12 points in English!".
Third, good goals must be achievalbe, otherwise they will lead to frustration. A good advice is to speak with a friend or with a member of you family about your goals in order to find out, whether they are achiveable or not.
Fourth, a good goal is relevant. It won't improve your overall performance, if you work on things you are good at. Instead, you might want to work on your weaknesses.
Fifth, you need both long- and short-term goals. Imagine you are a bad pupil and your goal is to be an excellent one, it is obviously that you cannot achieve your goal in about 6 weeks. Hence, this goal is a long-term goal. Short-term goals lead you to the long-term goal. In other words: Short-term goals are the lower steps of a staircase and the long-term goal is the top stair.

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

ibri hat geschrieben:In my opinion the definition of a "good goal" is really good and easy to remember. SMART = Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-phased. Oooh, it's an acronym. I didn't realize that. This helps your text along, I must say. Well done! :wink:

In the following, I will explain why good goals are SMART goals.

First, goals need to be specific: "I will improve my knowledge of grammar!" for instance is a really bad goal. "I will improve my knowledge of the grammar of if-clauses!" is a much better goal, as it is specific.
Second, goals are good if they are measurable. Therefore, outcomes are good (Was meinst Du hier? "measurable results"?). An good example might be: "I will have 12 points in English!".
Third, good goals must be achievable, otherwise they will lead to frustration. It's a good advice to speak with a friend or with a member of you family about your goals in order to find out, whether they are achievable or not.
Fourth, a good goal is relevant. It won't improve your overall performance if you work on things you are already good at. Instead, you might want to work on your weaknesses.
Fifth, you need both long- and short-term goals. Imagine you are a bad pupil and your goal is to be an excellent one, it is obviously that you cannot achieve your goal in about 6 weeks. Hence, this goal is a long-term goal. Achieving your short-term goals leads you to achieving your long-term goal. In other words: Short-term goals are the first steps on your journey to success - the achievement of your long-term goal.
Green doesn't necessarily mean that the original was wrong, sometimes it's just a suggestion to make it sound better - obviously a matter of taste now and again.

I'm not sure what you need this text for. If it is a written text to be handed in - don't use contractions.

Well done! :big_thumb:

Duckduck

ibri
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von ibri »

Thank you! :)

Antworten