Greetings from AUSTRIA

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
TudorLady
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Greetings from AUSTRIA

Beitrag von TudorLady »

Good evening everybody !

I want to introduce myself to you: My name is Jenny, I'm 19 years old and I live in Austria. My mother tongue is German. I started learning English at the age of 6 years, but even after all these years, I still have problems in understanding phrases (which I realize when I read english novels, newspapers or articles) and in expressing myself properly. I would like to perfect my English. And I know the best way to do so, is to live in an anglophone country, but unfortunately, it isn't possible at present. So, I try to improve my English by reading british newspapers, watching british TV, listening to british radio etc. :lol:

Well, I hope, one day, I'll become perfect :spin:

And if there's any mistake in my text above, please be honest and tell me immediately :mrgreen:

Kind regards, Jenny
Happiness isn't something you experience; it is something you remember.

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Re: Greetings from AUSTRIA

Beitrag von Delfino »

TudorLady hat geschrieben:Good evening everybody!

I want to introduce myself to you.
My name is Jenny, I'm 19 years old, and I live in Austria.
My mother tongue is German.
I started learning English at the age of 6 years, but even after all these years, I still have problems in understanding phrases (which I realize when I read English novels, newspapers or articles) and in expressing myself properly.
I would like to perfect my English.
And I know, the best way to do so, is to live in an anglophone country, but unfortunately, it isn't possible at present.
So, I try to improve my English by reading British newspapers, watching British TV, listening to British radio etc.
Well, I hope, one day, I'll be perfect.

And if there's any mistake in my text above, please be honest and tell me immediately.

Kind regards,
Jenny
:watch: The English prefer short sententences.
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

TudorLady
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von TudorLady »

Delfino hat geschrieben:
TudorLady hat geschrieben:Good evening everybody!

I want to introduce myself to you.
My name is Jenny, I'm 19 years old, and I live in Austria.
My mother tongue is German.
I started learning English at the age of 6 years, but even after all these years, I still have problems in understanding phrases (which I realize when I read English novels, newspapers or articles) and in expressing myself properly.
I would like to perfect my English.
And I know, the best way to do so, is to live in an anglophone country, but unfortunately, it isn't possible at present.
So, I try to improve my English by reading British newspapers, watching British TV, listening to British radio etc.
Well, I hope, one day, I'll be perfect.

And if there's any mistake in my text above, please be honest and tell me immediately.

Kind regards,
Jenny
:watch: The English prefer short sententences.

Thank you. I'll keep it in mind :)
Happiness isn't something you experience; it is something you remember.

Insanoflex
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von Insanoflex »

Delfino hat geschrieben: :watch: The English prefer short sententences.

Says who? Well, I guess it varies from region to region. I usually speak in short sentences, but I write a lot better than I speak. (And better I mean more proper.)

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

I don't think everyday English and everyday German are so very different. But, German does lend itself better to constructing more "convoluted" clause trees than English. Having said that, I personally don't think the OP's sentences come anywhere close to being difficult to parse.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Insanoflex
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Insanoflex »

If there is anything I've learned from my many months of studying German,which isn't really that long I realize, is that, since I'm so used to writing and speaking larger sentences, I usually forget word order and get touge-tied. It's ok to use larger, more complex sentences in English, and there shouldn't be anything to stop you. I personally talk like the way I am currently writing this all the time, but take from it what you will. Sometimes, in idle conversation, I might use shorter sentences, and I know I write more complex ones, but the point is we English speaker, from my experience, do not prefer shorter sentences. We may omit words here and there, but that doesn't equate to preference to short sentences. And this post is proof to that.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

If that was meant as a reply to me:
I do agree that English speakers don't prefer short sentences but I'd argue that English listeners do. It is easier to follow another persons thoughts when they are served as small easily digestible pieces rather than strung together to one complex message. I don't know if that was what Delfino meant but it is what I mean when I say that English (not English speakers) prefers short sentences.

My point in the comparison between English and German was that from the perspective of a reader or listener the English language can be garbled up more easily than German due to its lack of grammatical markers.

Or maybe we should just say "Use short sentences! Get to the point!" as an advice for learners of a language. You're less likely to mess up anything if there's less things to mess with.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Insanoflex
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Insanoflex »

Hmm, good point! I should keep that in mind when I speak German as well!

Antworten