Hello, I'm new.

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
(cola)maus
Bilingual Newbie

Hello, I'm new.

Beitrag von (cola)maus »

Hello together,

I'm coming to this forum by a search in google. I woud like to learn English. All words and sentences I can write and speak, I learned in school for over eighteen years. It is no longer much remaining of it.

Without help from a translator I don't now many words. I must always check it.

Now I'm here, to write with you in English.

I woud be happy, when you write to me.

(cola)maus

*die hofft das nicht alles falsch ist*
lament does not bring a success!

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

Hello (cola)maus! (Tell me about THAT name!!? :denk:

I´m also new here and I want to improve my English!
Like you, I found this forum with "Google". I was looking for a forum or something like that to write and discuss in English.

I´m 23 years old and I´m from Freudenberg, NRW.
I enjoy reading a lot! As well, I like music and the internet.

So.... Did I understand you right? You mean that you learnt English in school and that´s more than 18 years ago??

My English isn´t perfect, but I think it´s ok... :?
So, tell me something about yourself... How old are you? Where are you from?

Greetz,
Nynaeve
My Preciousssss!

(cola)maus
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von (cola)maus »

Hello Nynaeve,

yes, you understand it right. I´m learnd English only 4 years in the school (Hauptschule). And that even already is over twenty years ago. Now, I woud like to learned English as a hobby.

My nickname is very easy to explain. My first nick was speedy, like the mouse. The nick was ever more frequently already assigned. Then I must find a new.

I always drink cola and the mouse should remain. And so was colamaus born. There are the clips only for 4 weeks. Since this time I drink only water.

I´m 33 years old and I´m from Lower Bavaria. My hobbys are internet, reading and "Nordic wandern" (I don´t now how to write it in English) with my husband. Tomorrow we want to go over 20 km.

I wich you a wunderfull weekend.

(cola)maus

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

Hi again,

but you don´t mean "nordic walking", do you? Hmm...

Wandern = hiking :question:

I try to jog trice a week.... well, I TRY! This week, I ran on Monday and on Wednesday, each time about half an hour.

I´ve got another question: You wrote that you would like to learn English "as a hobby". So, if you make mistakes, do you want me (or whoever) to correct them if I can? :read:

There are the clips only for 4 weeks.
:denk:
I´m sorry, but I didn´t understand... Clips?

So, I have to pick up my boyfriend from work now...

Waiting for your reply... And of course: A nice weekend for you, too!

N. :wink2:
My Preciousssss!

mimarinX
Topic Talker

I'm new here, too

Beitrag von mimarinX »

Hey colamaus and nynaeve.
Found this board by accident... looking for an online-dictionary... :D
but this sounds fun to me, so I decided to join in...
I learned English in school, too, about 20 years ago... I'm 36 now...
I always liked the English language and started to watch movies with original soundtrack a couple of years ago. So I understand and speak English passably. Living in Norway just improved it, because Norwegians are not dubbing, they just subtitle everything. But since I learned English more or less by just hearing it, I'm unable to write it properly. So while writing this I have to check up with my dictionary quite often.
Hope to keep in touch with you, so we all can improve our English. :)
Greetings.
mimarinX

(cola)maus
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von (cola)maus »

Hello Nynaeve and mimarinX,

Nynaeve, yes please, correct my sentenses.
There are the clips only for 4 weeks.
This is the translation from google. I will say that my former Nick only colamaus was. Now (cola)maus. That "Clips" are only 4 weeks old. Since this time I drunk only water - none cola more.

This weekend my Husband and I walk 14 km. There is so few, because my children did not have desire to run with us.

How was your weekend?

minimarinX, welcome here. My English isn't so good as yours. I began straight only.

Greetings.

(cola)maus

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

Hellooooo!!!

It´s a little late, but I´m going to write a few sentences before I go to bed!

So, at first I want to give my WELCOME to mimarinX! Great, that you decided to join in!! :freu:
You live in Norway? That´s great, I really want to visit Norway some day... perhaps 2006 or 2007... who knows? Some weeks ago my boyfriend and I travelled to Crete... stayed there for 1 week. It was great and MUCH warmer than here in good old, RAINY Germany!

And when did you move to Norway? In other threads I saw, that you also wrote in German, so you grew up in Germany?!
Some time ago I read an article in "Stern"... it was about German families that moved to Norway because there they had better chances to find an employment there. They also said that the Norwegian school-system was better than the German one...

Well... I hope to hear (or to be precise: to read) from you soon.
I think, writing in English is a good chance to improve my English... It is annoying to realize sometimes, how much words I don´t know!

Now to Mrs. (cola)maus with her "clips": It took a litte time, but.... yes, now I understand! :lol: But I looked it up in the dictionary, and in my opinion, the better word for these ---> ( ) is "brackets"... I´m not sure, if that´s right, but I think so!

Ok, I will correct your sentences, so check your pm-inbox sometimes! I think, it would be too much mess if I write everything in this thread!
Will start with it tomorrow (now it´s really too late...) and I hope, it will help you a little bit!

My weekend? Oh, it was ok. On Saturday morning my boyfriend and I went shopping...
And we went to "Opel Hoppmann", too... we found little pieces of rust on the car we bought there a few weeks ago! The car is about 2 and a half years old... so... RUST?? I don´t know how to explain it in English... Well, but it seems like we have to pay it ourselves! I have to go there again on Friday and a master craftsman will look at the car again... It´s so annoying!! Ok, the pieces of rust are sooo small, but if they won´t be removed they will get bigger...

In the evening we went to the birthday-party of my boyfriend´s older brother. He celebrated his birthday at a party called "Heisterberger Weiher in Flammen" - it´s every year and there always is a great firework-show (about ten minutes long). It was very nice, but soooooo cold! You can´t definitely call this a "summer".... :x

Oh, holy sxxt! Haha! Now you´ve got enough to read, haven´t you?

Greetings to both of you! :bye:
Nynaeve

PS: Watched a few minutes of "Monty Python and the holy grail" in English today... For me it´s hard to understand sometimes.... Well, with a little practise...
My Preciousssss!

mimarinX
Topic Talker

Hello again!

Beitrag von mimarinX »

Hey colamaus and Nynaeve.
Thanks for the warm welcome... :D
First off all.... please feel free to correct my English!!! That's what I'm here for...
And colamaus.... your English is pretty good!!! I have to look up every third word, too..... so don't worry!!

To answer the questions:
I am German and grew up in Osnabrück, Lower Saxony.
Five years ago I moved to Norway and liked it so much, that I decided to stay. I work here as a nurse in a city with about 260000 habitants. Rather small compared to German cities, but here it is in fact the second largest city.... :lol:
So if you want to visit Norway, Nynaeve, and you have any questions about the country, just ask!!
I don't have internet at home. I can only write messages when (or is it "if" in this case?? ) I'm at work. So it can take a couple of days before I answer... sorry!!
What else to write?? I like movies and reading, and my big hobby is archery... but I'm a beginner and just happy when I hit the target... :wink: although it's really fun!!
Gee..... I'm really confused with this "when" and "if" thing... can one of you please explain to me how I have to use it???

so, finally.... to Nynaeve..... if anybody in this board has the right to complain about the foul weather... IT'S ME!!! Because here in the north it's much worse than in Germany... :D :wink:

CU
mimarinX

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Me again...

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

Hello again, mimarinX and (cola)maus!

(I mention you, because it seems like no-one else wants to join in... but that doesn´t matter at all!!)

(cola)maus, check your pm-inbox!!

Ahhh, I confess.... I have to look up a lot of words, too... But to spell the words isn´t a problem for me. It´s like... I see a word and I know how to spell it! If you know what I mean... Can´t explain it better... :(

mimarinX, you mean the city you live in is the second largest city in WHOLE Norway? If I may ask... which city is it? I guess, the largest city is Oslo! Ah, I found something... Oslo has got about 500.000 inhabitants.
Oh, thank you, I´ll remember your offer when I have got concrete plans to visit Norway! :D

About the "when and if"-thing... I can´t explain it in English, but you can find an explanation here:
http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/words/when_if.htm

That´s what I had in mind! :jo:
You work at night, don´t you? (or is it "do you?"?)... 1:03 am... :question:
That´s funny... I don´t write, when I´m at work. I have got internet at work, but ´"I´m afraid of" using it too much. The admin... oh, oh.... You may call me scaredy-cat, but I don´t want to get into trouble, so I leave the private things at home! But sometimes it´s hard... :?

So... I want to go to bed!!
But I´ve got a little question for both of you: You wrote that you like reading books! I read a lot, too - so tell me which books you like!! Do you read books in English, too? Or only German books?

Well... Good night!!

Waiting for your reply... :zzz:
Nynaeve
My Preciousssss!

mimarinX
Topic Talker

Beitrag von mimarinX »

Hey colamouse and nynaeve.
Nynaeve:
>>
??? lool... ohh yeahh, when I SEE the word I know how to spell it, too.... :lol: :wink:
:question: So, what did you mean?? You don't know the word you have to use in English, but if someone tells you, you know how to write it.... is that it?? Then I'm your direct counterpart... easy to find the right words.... but unable to spell them... :)
By the way... thanks for the if-when-link...

The second largest city here is Bergen, beautyfull town.... especially in the spring. Unfortunatelly the most rain-laden city in Europe... :(

and yes, I work only nightshift. To your question: I think you can use both questions... but the way you asked is more a rhetorical question, isn't it? Because you think you already know the answer. Wouldn't you agree??
The good thing with working at night is that I can do whatever I want to... my boss is really tolerant... she don't care as long as my job is done in the morning... and the officals in the real high positions don't care as long as I don't try any downloads... saves me a lot of money, that I don't need internet at home...

To the book questions.... I read books in all three languages, but prefer German.... nevertheless I am mostly reading English, because it is difficult to buy German books here. Right now I don't have time to read. For me it is more a wintertime activity. I like fantasy and sf books, and horror and mystic, too... the last I read was "Charly and the great glass elevator", which is in fact a childrens book.... but I like Roald Dahl's books... read "Charly and the chocolatfactory" not long ago.

So, enough for now.....
Greetings to both of you.
mimarinX

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

mimarinX,
You don't know the word you have to use in English, but if someone tells you, you know how to write it.... is that it??
Yessssss, you´re right! That´s exactly what I mean... :lol:
So, I´ll correct you, harhar...:
beautyfull
= beautiful
Unfortunatelly
= Unfortunately

Bergen, ah... but today there isn´t so much rain, is it? :) Found some pics of the town in the internet! Well, it looks like you´re right: Seems to be a really nice town!

Only nightshift? Well, I work from 8 am until 4 pm... every Thursday until 5 pm and every Friday until 12:30 pm! But I think, nightshift would be perfect for me... I´m only really awake in the evening... I hate mornings!!
To your question: I think you can use both questions... but the way you asked is more a rhetorical question, isn't it? Because you think you already know the answer. Wouldn't you agree??
Hmmm, I´m not sure.... I always thought, it´s like that:
If you say "Are you....," then it´s "...,aren´t you?" and if you say
"Aren´t you...." it´s "..., are you?" at the end of the sentence!?!
Uhmm... let´s see... perhaps I can find an explanation.... Can´t explain it in English very good!!!
http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/grammar/qu_tags.htm
That´s it!

The books... at the moment I am reading "Wachen! Wachen!" by Terry Pratchett! I like the "Wheel of time"-series by Robert Jordan... Mainly, I read fantasy books... I´ve got "The Lord Of The Rings" in English, but I haven´t read it yet!
I really enjoyed "Die Zwerge" und "Krieg der Zwerge" by Markus Heitz.
Great books! :read:
Roald Dahl.... ummm, in school we had to read a book of him (or is it "by him"? noo... :hammer: ) that was about a woman who killed her husband with a lambchop... Don´t know the book or the film "Charly and the chocolatefactory", but somehow I like Johnny Depp. Just came to my mind, when I read "C. a. t. chocolatefactory"... Yesterday we watched "Pirates Of The Caribbean".

Oh, almost forgot something.... You wrote that it´s hard to find German books in Norway. That reminded me of a question I thought about: Is there anything you miss since you went to Norway?

Well, enough for today...

Ummm... and where´s the mouse?? :cry:

Bye,
Nynaeve
My Preciousssss!

(cola)maus
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von (cola)maus »

Hello together,

I do not have much time for the moment, but I read also.

Lg

(cola)maus

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

Ahhh, she´s still alive! :)

Well, it´s ok! Hope to hear from you when you´ve got a little more time!

Best wishes,
N.
My Preciousssss!

mimarinX
Topic Talker

Beitrag von mimarinX »

Hello Nynaeve og colamaus.

So, colamaus.. your busy right now... but a short "I'm still alive" once in a while would be nice, so we know you're still there... :talk1:

Nynaeve:
thanks for helping me.... :danke:
ohhhh yeah...... one or two "l"...... very difficult.... but maybe someday even I will get it in my head :hammer: ... until then you have to use the big red marker... :wink:

Question... how do you get the quotes in your answer??? Unfortunately I'm a real computer-blond.... :confused:

I'm very happy I just work at night... I'm a real night owl... :D I don't go to bed before early in the morning, even when I have a night off....
What's your provession??? I'm a nurse, as you sure already guessed...

and you read Terry Pratchett??? I'm bidding on "die Farben der Magie" on ebay right know... my niece recommended it to me. Heard about "die Zwerge" and I read "die Orks" last winter. The story by Dahl you had to read in school is a very popular one.... never read it, but heard of it.
And you saw "Pirates of the Caribbean" yesterday... In English or German?? Johnny Depp is my favorit actor. Think he's fantastic! And he is one of those actors I refuse watching in German..... He is easy to understand and has a wonderful voice...

To your question...mmhhh.... do I miss something ??? My friends and family sometimes, yes, but other than that???? No, not really...
"all that glistens is not gold".... here neither.... a lot of things are different, but one get used to it...

Well, enough for now...... have two days off, so next time you read me will not be before thursday night...

Best wishes
mimarinx
:bye1: [/quote]

Nynaeve
Tongue Twister

10:13 pm

Beitrag von Nynaeve »

.... and silly me wants to post here, write a letter to my penpal and... ummm... play a little bit with all my pencils and my chalk...
I wish a day had 48 hours!! Really.... The world isn´t fair!

Oh, :oops: HELLO!!
Aaargh!!! Well, my little hamster tried to find a way out of his cage... I opened the cage and now she´s running around in the living room - that´s soo cute!

Ok... mimarinX, I´ve got the BIG RED MARKER right here in my hand!! Harhar... If you make ANY mistakes.... whoa! :evil:
No, no... I´m sure, I won´t even realize your mistakes! (And I hope that nobody finds mine... *cough*)
Aahh, isn´t it "profession", with an F?! Ok, ok... I will shut up!
My profession...? Ouch, don´t know the English word... I work in an administration (Stadt Freudenberg)... I work in an office... perhaps it´s "administration office worker", haha!

The quotes? You just copy the words you want to have in the quote... put it into your text, mark it and click on "Quote"! You know, I have got problems with explantions in English...

Yes, Terry Pratchett... I bought five books (German) of him a few weeks ago... and I´ve already read two of them ("Das Licht der Phantasie" and "Der Zauberhut"). But I´ve heard that the English books are much better... the translation "kills" some of Pratchett´s jokes and allusions... So I "bought" a book at eBay! (Damn, what´s the word for "ersteigern" or something like that???)
It´s called "Wyrd Sisters" and.... I already have the German one! :hammer:
Umm, I´ve read "Die Orks", too! And I was so disappointed, when the book was finished!
It seems like... we have some things in common! :)

Well... my boyfriend and me watched "Pirates of the Caribbean" in German. He wouldn´t understand a lot! He learnt English in school some years ago. I think, he forgot the most! And he isn´t interested in learning...! So... if I want to watch a movie in English, I watch it alone... while I am ironing clothes! :lol:

Ok, I´ll try to write the letter now... hope that I won´t fall asleep while writing it, haha! Nooo, don´t think so...

Bye-bye...
I´m looking forward to new messages!
N.
My Preciousssss!

Antworten