Pancake Day

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Pancake Day

Beitrag von Keswick »

It is Pancake Day today and nobody has even mentioned it. I am shocked! :shock:

So for tonight's tea we'll have pancakes filled with mince and veg. And for sweets we'll have pancakes with cinammon and sugar. I know it's cheating but I just can't get away with pancakes with lemon and sugar :rolleyes: .

So who else is going to have pancakes on this wonderful, sunny Shrove Tuesday?

:freu:

Shrove Tuesday on Wikipedia
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: Pancake Day

Beitrag von tiorthan »

I had, although I didn't know it was pancake day.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Even better! :freu:

Chloe
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: Russisch

Beitrag von Chloe »

It's an interesting day! I have never heard about it! Keswick, what do your pancakes like? Are they thick or thin? What kind of flour do you take? My mother cooks pancakes deliciously!!! :D I like them with sweetened condensed milk or with feta cheese and dill. Last year I tried buckwheat pancakes. There were really tasty and healthy!

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hi Chloe,

I prefer thick pancakes to thin ones and I mainly use normal flour. However, on Pancake Day I accidentally used the self-raising flour (don't ask me how that happened, one pack's blue, the other one's red) so my pancakes turned out to be monster pancakes but quite fluffy :) . I normally make them savory, simply because my husband does not like sweet tea. So pancakes with apple sauce, or cinnamon sugar are a no go. I tend to fill them with mince, onion and gravy, or Greek style with feta cheese. I once tried Tikka chicken but I think the pancakes were a wee bit too thick. Next time I'll make thinner ones. I was actually thinking about buying a crepe maker but then again.. how often would I use it?

Sweetened condensed milk? Do you put it on the pancakes or replace some of the milk with it? If you like feta cheese, I think you might like feta cheese cream. It's easily and quickly prepared. You take some feta cheese, crumble it and mix it with some creme fraiche, some finely chopped tomatoes and cucumbers (both without the seeds), some salt and pepper and put it on the pancakes while they're still warm. Lovely :wink:.

Regards,
Keswick

Chloe
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: Russisch

Beitrag von Chloe »

Hello Keswick,

Sweetned condensed milk is very common in Russia. When I was a little girl, I could eat it like honey with a spoon! I know a lot of Russians, who really like it and always have it at home. I just take some sweetned condensed milk and put it on the pancake. I have even now its taste on the tongue :D I don't know whether you will like it. Most german friends of mine don't really like sweetned condensed milk. It's too sweet for them.
I also like pancakes with mushrooms or with curd and raisins.
By the way I have read about Pancake Day in Great Britain today. It has to do with a religion, doesn't it? People cook them before Lenten and the Russians do the same, but the whole week.

Best wishes,

Chloe

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

My dad loves sweetened condensed milk.. well I think that's what he has at home, in France it's called Regilait. I tried it when I was a bairn but did not like it then, I should give it another go. You can also get it in the UK, here one of the brands is called Carnation and my better half loves it :) .

Yes, Pancake Day is always the Tuesday before Ashes Wednesday and it basically has got a religious background, because people tried to use up ingredients that they mustn't eat during Lent and which might go off, for example milk, eggs, fat etc.

So, in Russia, people eat pancakes for a whole week? That must be heaven :freu:.

CoolDude
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von CoolDude »

Uh I sure do love pancakes, too! I got some "Aunt Jemima" pancake flour and "Hungry Jack" syrup. The makes a perfect sunday morning breakfast :-).

Antworten