Hi everybody

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
bettibridget
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: francais

Hi everybody

Beitrag von bettibridget »

I'm new on this forum and i would like to improve my english in order to work in the united states as a french teacher.I'm a french student in paris (la sorbonne) and i realize that ma english is not really fluent,particulary when i go to london and i have to talk whith someone;it's not really easy for me to express myself so i need your support!!
thanks

kölscheklüngel
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: deutsch

Re: Hi everybody

Beitrag von kölscheklüngel »

Hi bettibridget,

I am from Germany and I want to improve my English too. I had French in school for some years. It is a nice tongue but i forgot a lot. Last year I made a course by Volkshochschule. If I can speak fluent English I want to improve my French.

This forum is great, you have the chance to write something about you interest in and there are good humans whichever read and correct your mistakes. Don't blush about mistakes or something else take courage and write.

Bye Alexander

bettibridget
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: francais

Beitrag von bettibridget »

thanks a lot for your reply Alexander...i don't fell really at ease by writting in english,to tell the truth i'm not used to speaking english whith people in everyday life!!

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

bettibridget hat geschrieben:I'm new on this forum and I would like to improve my English in order to be able1 work in the United States as a French teacher. I'm a French student in Paris (la Sorbonne) and I realize that ma English is not really fluent, particulary when I go to London and I have to talk whith someone; it's not really easy for me to express myself so I need your support!!
thanks
Even though this is the chatterbox and your encouraged to use colloquialisms and such, please use proper capitalization in your sentences it makes reading much easier - and thus a more pleasing experience - because it helps recognizing the words. If you don't know the rules just ask.

Most punctuation marks are put directly behind the preceding word but are sepearated by a blank from the following word. Write "...French teacher. I'm a..." instead of "...French teacher.I'm a..." and "...not really fluent, particularly when..." instead of "...not really fluent,particularly when..." etc.

1 - This is just a logical error (IMO) since better English doesn't lead to any work. It enables you to successfully work there though.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

kölscheklüngel hat geschrieben:Hi bettibridget,

I am from Germany and I want to improve my English too. I had French in school for some years. It is a nice tongue but I forgot a lot. Last year I made a course at the Volkshochschule. When1 I can speak fluent English I want to improve my French.

This forum is great, you have the chance to write something about you interest in2 and there are good people3 who4 read and correct your mistakes. Don't blush5 about mistakes or something else take courage and write.

Bye Alexander
1 - The word if cannot be used for a temporal "wenn". If you're unsure try to phrase the sentence in German with "falls".
Wenn ich fließend Englisch kann will ich mein Französisch verbessern - Replace "wenn" by "falls"...
Falls ich fließend Englisch kann will ich mein Französisch verbessern - Doesn't make much sense, does it?

2 - The "in" didn't make any sense.

3 - Use human or humans if you want to express that they are not of a non-human species but use person or people otherwise.

4 - You're talking about living things here so use "who". The word whichever would have meant "egal welche". You couldn't have used whoever as well because that's "egal wer".

5 - Blushing (erblassen) and courage have not much to do with each other. You can wet your pants and still muster the courage to stand and fight, so to speak. So I'm not really sure what you meant to say.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

bettibridget hat geschrieben:Thanks a lot for your reply Alexander... I don't really feel at ease by writting in English, to tell the truth I'm not used to speaking English with people in everyday life!!
Why you should! If you can use English in everyday situations you'll become more confident and when you do have problems in a professional situation you'll be able to somehow "work around" it.

kölscheklüngel
Frequent Typer

Anstatt blush kann ich dann shame oder not afraid sagen? Also habe keine Angst, oder schäme dich nicht. Courage meinte ich mit Mut. Habe Mut und schreibe...

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

"Don't be afraid" would be what you need then. Courage was o.k. "blush" was the only thing that didn't fit.

franzi
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von franzi »

tiorthan hat geschrieben:
5 - Blushing (erblassen) and courage have not much to do with each other. You can wet your pants and still muster the courage to stand and fight, so to speak. So I'm not really sure what you meant to say.
Hallo Tiorthan.

Immer bestrebt selbst wieder was dazuzulernen hab ich auch hier wieder aufmerksam mitgelesen.
Und dabei ist mir aufgefallen daß du blushing mit erblassen übersetzt hast.
Könnte es denn sein daß du da erröten und erblassen verwechselt hast ?

No offens meant.
Manfred

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

tiorthan hat geschrieben:I'm new on this forum and I would like to improve my English in order to be able1 to work as a French teacher in the United States. I'm a French student in Paris (la Sorbonne) and I realize that my English is not really fluent, particulary when I go to London and I have to talk whith someone; it's not really easy for me to express myself so I need your support!!
thanks

Even though this is the chatterbox and you're encouraged to use colloquialisms and such, please use proper capitalization in your sentences it makes reading much easier - and thus a more pleasing experience - because it helps recognizing the words. If you don't know the rules, just ask.

Most punctuation marks are put directly behind the preceding word but are separted by a blank from the following word. Write "...French teacher. I'm a..." instead of "...French teacher.I'm a..." and "...not really fluent, particularly when..." instead of "...not really fluent,particularly when..." etc.
Grüße
Duckduck
Zuletzt geändert von Duckduck am 26. Okt 2010 11:56, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

tiorthan hat geschrieben:Hi bettibridget,

I am from Germany and I want to improve my English too. I had French in school for some years. It is a nice tongue/language but I forgot a lot. Last year I made a course at the Volkshochschule. When1 I can speak English fluently, I want to start improving my French.

This forum is great, you have the chance to write about whatever you're interested in and there are good people3 who4 read it and correct your mistakes. Don't feel embarrassed about your mistakes or something, take courage and write!

Bye Alexander

Grüße
Duckduck

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

tiorthan hat geschrieben:Thanks a lot for your reply Alexander... I don't really feel at ease by writting in English, to tell you the truth, I'm not used to speaking English with people in everyday life!!

Why you should! If you can use English in everyday situations, you'll become more confident and when you do have problems in a professional situation, you'll be able to somehow "work around" it/them.
Grüße
Duckduck

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

franzi hat geschrieben:
tiorthan hat geschrieben:
Hallo Tiorthan.

Immer bestrebt selbst wieder was dazuzulernen hab ich auch hier wieder aufmerksam mitgelesen.
Und dabei ist mir aufgefallen daß du blushing mit erblassen übersetzt hast.
Könnte es denn sein daß du da erröten und erblassen verwechselt hast ?

No offence! (BrE), "offense" (AmE)
Manfred
Das denke ich auch, Manfred. Und deshalb auch sein Gefühl, dass das "courage" nicht so recht passen wollte. Also der Rat, den Alexander geben wollte, könnte auch heißen:
"Don't you blush for/with shame about..." etwas weniger literarisch eventuell: "Don't feel embarrassed about..."

Gut gesehen!

Grüße
Duckduck

kölscheklüngel
Frequent Typer

Hi Duckduck,

gut erkannt, "to embarras" habe ich noch nie gehört, aber ist die richtige Ausdrucksweise. Genau, das was ich meinte. Dann kann ich das mit dem "courage" auch weglassen.

"Tongue" habe ich einfach mal geschrieben, weil ich es noch nie gehört und hier im Forum zum ersten Mal gesehen habe. Welches Wort ist denn besser? Language or Tongue?

Gruß Alexander

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Thanks for your corrections and additions.

Actually, I know what blush means but when I tried to add further explanation and a translation I somehow managed to fail epically.

Tongue is rather used in litereature than in regular everyday English.

Antworten