Hello from Hamburg

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
V3ct0r
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: DE/PL

Hello from Hamburg

Beitrag von V3ct0r »

Hello everybody,
I'm Philip and I'm 18 years old. I live in Hamburg and my mother tongue is Polish, but I grew up bilingually so I speak German fluently as well.
My goal is to improve my English skills in order to be able to communicate with people all around the world. Today, English is needed everywhere,
especially in the working environment. In addition, I still learn English in school and it could be wise to take measures for better grades :D

I'm happy that I found a forum like this one and it would be great if someone could correct this (I'm afraid of the red letters yet.

kölscheklüngel
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: deutsch

Re: Hello from Hamburg

Beitrag von kölscheklüngel »

Hello V3ct0r,

my name is Alexander and I am from Cologne. I will improve my english too. I got a few good helps about english in this forum. I am hopefuly getting better in speaking english til christmas. Their are very good people here to help and correct your english.

I have a girlfriend from poland. She is great and very pretty. The polish girls are more beautyful and friendly than the german girls. We haven't a relationship we are good friends. She speaks german very well.

Okay, I am watching tv, now. Hear from you in the next days.

Bye Alexander

V3ct0r
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von V3ct0r »

Hey Kölscheklüngel,

I actually didn't believe that anyone will ever reply to my post. It's so true that the polish girls are much more beatiful than the german ones, but they are harder to find in Germany xD
However, I'm sure there are many people here who can and want to help us to improve our English, but sometimes this forum seems to be a bit deserted, so you must be patient if you're waiting for someone to answer you.

I didn't watch TV for a few months now, cause they aren't broadcasting anything interesting and useful anymore. If you zap threw the channels, all you see is persons screaming at each other. That's not what i call entertaining. I started reading English Fantasy literature. It's quite exciting to read a book in the original language, because you can learn to know the individual writing style of the author. If you read the German translation, it's not the same anymore, and if the translator screws it up, it can be very frustrating.

However, thanks for your reply. Hope i will hear from you soon.

Philip

kölscheklüngel
Frequent Typer

Hi Philip,

you are from Hamburg. I visited Hamburg in the year 1993 for a short time, a friend lived their. Actually I have no connection with the schoolfriend and I can't visit Hamburg for a longer time. It is a great town and I hear that the people a quite but friendly and you can get friends, if you are from an other town.

For tomorrow I will pick up tickets for the comedy preis in cologne. Last year i visited this event for the first time. It was great, the aftershow party was great all for nothing, beer, wine and fingerfood and in the night you can dance and so on, okay to dance is not my favourite hobby.

I am reading spotlight, it is a great magazine, they write about interesting topics and if you are reading very concentrate it is a great excercise about getting better in english.

Bye, hear from you soon.

Alexander

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

V3ct0r hat geschrieben:Hello everybody,
I'm Philip and I'm 18 years old. I live in Hamburg and my mother tongue is Polish, but I grew up bilingually so I speak German fluently as well.
My goal is to improve my English skills in order to be able to communicate with people all around the world. Today, English is needed everywhere,
especially in the working environment. In addition, I still learn English in school and it could be wise to take measures for better grades :D

I'm happy that I found a forum like this one and it would be great if someone could correct this (I'm afraid of the red letters yet.)
Don't be! Your English is very good, as far as I can see! Welcome to the forum! :)
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

kölscheklüngel hat geschrieben:Hello V3ct0r,

my name is Alexander and I am from Cologne. I want to ("will" als Funktionswort zur Bildung des Futur = "ich werde", "want to" entspricht "wollen") improve my English (alle Eigennamen und von ihnen abgeleitete Wörter werden groß geschrieben -> England -> English) too. The people in this forum have already given me some good tips/advice about English. I hope my English skills will improve (oder: will have improved by) til Christmas. There are very good people here and they help you and correct your English.

I have a girlfriend (In diesem Fall würde der Engländer dann nicht "girlfriend" benutzen, sondern einfach "friend". Dass es sich um eine Frau handelt, wird ja schon im nächsten Satz klar) from Poland. She is great and very pretty. (The) Polish girls are more beautiful and friendlier than (the) German girls. We don't have (aren't having) a relationship, we are just good friends. She speaks German very well.

Okay, I am going to watch tv, now. Hope to hear from you in the next days.

Bye Alexander
Damit's auch was bringt...

Grüße :big_thumb:
Duckduck

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

V3ct0r hat geschrieben:Hey Kölscheklüngel,

I actually didn't believe (that) anyone would (indirekte Rede, Einleitungssatz im Past, deshalb backshift: Will-future -> Conditional 1) ever reply to my post (oder: I had actually given up hope that...). It's so true that the Polish girls are much more beautiful than the German ones, but they are harder to find in Germany xD
However, I'm sure there are many people here who can and want to help us to improve our English, but sometimes this forum seems to be a bit deserted, so you must be patient if you're waiting for someone to answer you.

I haven't watched (Present Perfect, eine Handlung begann in der Vergangenheit und dauert jetzt noch an) TV for a few months now, because they aren't broadcasting/showing anything interesting and useful anymore. If you zap around, all you see is persons screaming at each other. That's not what I call entertaining. I started reading English Fantasy Literature (beides groß oder beides klein). It's quite exciting to read a book in the original language, because you can get to know the author's individual writing style. Reading the German translation is simply not the same anymore, especially if the translator screws it up, it can be very frustrating.

However, thanks for your reply. Hope I will hear from you soon.

Philip
Grüße
Duckduck

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

kölscheklüngel hat geschrieben:Hi Philip,

you are from Hamburg. I visited Hamburg in the year 1993 for a short time, a friend lived their. Actually I have no connection with the schoolfriend and I can't visit Hamburg for a longer time. It is a great town and I hear that the people a quite but friendly and you can get friends, if you are from an other town.

For tomorrow I will pick up tickets for the comedy preis in cologne. Last year i visited this event for the first time. It was great, the aftershow party was great all for nothing, beer, wine and fingerfood and in the night you can dance and so on, okay to dance is not my favourite hobby.

I am reading spotlight, it is a great magazine, they write about interesting topics and if you are reading very concentrate it is a great excercise about getting better in english.

Bye, hear from you soon.

Alexander
kölscheklüngel hat geschrieben:Hi Philip,

you are from Hamburg. I visited Hamburg for a short time in the year 1993, because a friend lived their (I had a friend living there). Actually, I'm not in touch with him/her anymore and I haven't visited (Present Perfect, s.o.) Hamburg for quite some time. It is a great town and I hear that the people are quiet/reserved but friendly and you can make friends even if you are from another town.

For tomorrow I will pick up tickets for the "comedy preis" in Cologne. Last year I visited this event for the first time. It was great, the aftershow party was great as well, everything for free, beer, wine and fingerfood and in the night you could (Past) dance and so on, okay, dancing is not my favourite hobby.

I am reading "spotlight", it is a great magazine, they write about interesting topics and if you are reading very carefully/attentively it is a great excercise for improving your English.

Bye, hope to hear from you soon.

Alexander

V3ct0r
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von V3ct0r »

Hi Alex,

I've never been to Cologne, but i can imagine it's an exciting city. I only know that there are all the big broadcasting corporations - and the Cologne Cathedral of course.

I don't read the Spotlight, but I watch crime series and sitcoms in English with English subtitles. It helps a lot, because you get used to the sound of the language and to colloquial expressions. In addition, the actors sound much more authentic. But it's important not to become desperate if you don't understand everything, however, you don't need to look up every single word.

These are the last days of my holidays, so I try to learn a bit for my exams in school (First subject: English :) ). I hope it won't be too hard. Nevertheless, maybe I'm gonna watch the "Comedy Preis" today. I heard Dieter Nuhr is the moderator this time, so I think it's gonna be quite funny.

It would be cool if you could report your impressions of this year's event!

Philip

PS: Thanks to Duckduck for the corrections.

kölscheklüngel
Frequent Typer

Hallo Duckduck,

danke für die Verbesserungen, ich werde mit Sicherheit noch ein paar mal die selben Fehler machen, aber irgendwann habe ich es verstanden.

Antworten