Let's speak English here.
Antworten
tanja
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Hi from Frankfurt **

Beitrag von tanja »

Hi,
my name is Tanja and I am 26. I live in Frankfurt for 3 years. I want to improve my English and I am searching for people to speak English!
I like jogging and swimming. I like to go dancing and I enjoy my life :D
Kind regards,
Tanja

Alex2010
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: German

Re: Hi from Frankfurt **

Beitrag von Alex2010 »

tanja hat geschrieben:Hi,
my name is Tanja and I am 26 years old. I have been living in Frankfurt for 3 years. I want to improve my English and I am searching for people to speak English!
I like jogging and swimming. I like dancing and I enjoy my life. :D
Kind regards,
Tanja

kölscheklüngel
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von kölscheklüngel »

Hello Tanja,

nice to hear from you. We both have the same goals. I have never been in Frankfurt. I heard from Friends, that's Frankfurt is very nice and interesting city, especially interesting. I know Mainz, Wiesbaden and the Rheingau, I bought for a few times vine and I drove the highway very often. I drove without any navigation system and the way from Mainz to Rheingau was sometimes very difficult for me.:o But I made it. Now, I am very happy to see that towns and I have more important things in my mind.

I am from Cologne, it is a nice town too the peoples are friendly but superficially. I think, that in Frankfurt is more action.

Write me back.

Bye Alexander

tobi2608
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von tobi2608 »

Hello,

my name is Tobi and I am 19 years old.
My english is not very good, so i hope that the users could help me to correct my posts like Alex done it with Tanja´s post.

I am from Bad Salzuflen, it is a small town and there are many old people. :roll:

Last week on Thursday i was in Frankfurt. I was there for only a few hours, so I could not see so much from this town. But in November I will be there again. But unfortunately I will be there for a few hours again.

With friendly greets,

Tobi

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

kölscheklüngel hat geschrieben:Hello Tanja,

nice to hear from you. We both have the same goals. I have never been to Frankfurt. I have1 heard from friends, that's Frankfurt is a very nice and interesting city, especially interesting. I know Mainz, Wiesbaden and the Rheingau, I bought wine2 there3 a few times4 and I drove the highway very often5. I drove without any navigation system and the way from Mainz to Rheingau was sometimes very difficult for me.:o But I made it. Now, I am always6 very happy to see those6 towns and I have more important things in my mind.

I am from Cologne, it is a nice town too the people7 are friendly but superficial8. I think, that in Frankfurt there9 is more action.

Write me back.

Bye Alexander
1 - You have heard it and still know what's been told to you. Therefore it's something from the past that affects the present = present perfect

2 - Both words wine and vine exist but mean different things. Wine is the alcoholic beverage made from grape juice and vine means any climbing or creeping plant.

3 - In my oppinion this word is needed to link the sentence to the context.

4 - Adverbs of frequency that consist of more than one word go to the end of the sentence (but after adverbs of location).

5 - This sounds odd to me and I'm not really sure what you mean.

6 - I'm not quite sure if that's really what you meant.

7 - Ok, das mache ich mal auf Deutsch, damit es keine Missverständnisse gibt. Das Wort "people", wenn damit "Leute" gemeint ist, ist ein Pluralwort und man kann daraus nicht "peoples" bilden. Das wäre so, als ob man auf Deutsch Leutes sagen würde. Der Singular von "people" ist "person".

Das Wort hat aber noch eine zweite Bedeutung, nämlich Volk. Und dieses people kann einen Plural bilden, nämlich peoples = Völker.

8 - The word friendly might end in a -ly but it is an adjective nevertheless. The word superficially is an adverb. Sentences of the form "A is B" or "A are B" cannot take adverbs.

9 - Ok, I'm not sure if the standard or some other dialects allow ommiting there in sentences like this but I'd use it here.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Alex2010 hat geschrieben:
tanja hat geschrieben:Hi,
my name is Tanja and I am 26 years old. I have been living in Frankfurt for 3 years. I want to improve my English and I am looking* for people to speak English!
I like jogging and swimming. I like dancing and I enjoy my life. :D
Kind regards,
Tanja
* Der Unterschied zwischen "looking for" und "searching for" ist die Intensität der Suche. Wenn jemand "searching for" benutzt, dann stelle ich mir darunter eine systematische und möglichst vollständige Suche durch alle Möglichkeiten vor. Auch "looking for" kann eine systematische Suche sein, aber es kann genauso gut auch heißen: falls ich zufällig mal was finden sollte oder jemand auf mich zukommt.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

tobi2608 hat geschrieben:Hello,

My1 name is Tobi and I am 19 years old.
My English2 is not very good, so I3 hope that the users could help me to correct my posts like Alex did4 with Tanja´s post.

I am from Bad Salzuflen, it is a small town and there are many old people. :roll:

Last week on Thursday i was in Frankfurt. I was there for only a few hours, so I could not see so much of5 this town. But in November I will be there again. But unfortunately I will again be there for just a few hoursagain.

With friendly greets,

Tobi
1 - A difference between English and German is that paragraphs usually start with a capital letter even if the sentence has been started in a previous paragraph like a greeting or so.

2 - All names - persons, months, named items, languages, geographical names etc. - are capitalized in all instances.

3 - The word I is also always capitalized.

4 - Well, alternatively you could have used "has done" instead of "did". The difference would be that "has done" emphasizes the effect the action has on the present.

Ok, daneben habe ich auch dein "it" entfernt, weil es (meiner Meinung nach) hier überflüssig ist.

5 - Die Präposition "from" bezeichnet eine Richtung bzw eine Herkunft. Was du hier ausdrücken willst ist aber eine Zugehörigkeit und die wird auf Englisch (und eigentlich auch in gutem Deutsch) durch den Genitiv dargestellt.

kölscheklüngel
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von kölscheklüngel »

Hi tiorthan,

mit dem Present Perfekt muss ich mir mal merken. Das macht die Aussprache wieder im gesamten besser. Ich habe immer Present Perfekt genommen, wenn z.B. ich gestern mein Auto gewaschen habe und heute es einem Bekannten zeigen: I have washed my car. Man sieht direkt ein Ergebnis: sauberes Auto, was in naher Vergangenheit gereinigt worden sein muss.

Bei "people" sagt man besser "human", oder was meinst du?

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Nach meiner Erfahrung ist es wichtig, dass man - wenn man eine Sprache wirklich jemals natürlich beherrschen will - sich auch in das Denken der Muttersprachler einfühlen muss. Im Deutschen machen wir zum Beispiel genaugenommen keinen echten Unterschied zwischen dem Perfekt und dem Präteritum (es besteht praktisch nur ein Unterschied im Sprachstil). Im Englischen wird dieser Unterschied gemacht und folglich ist er auch im Denken viel präsenter.

Back to English:

No, actually you would rather use people instead of humans. It's always quite obvious whether "Volk" or "Leute" is meant and when it isn't obvious it isn't really important at all.

kifato
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von kifato »

hi, i am right here i search people to improve my english.
i hope that we write here to much and you can help me to improve my english.

bye

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Hi Kifato and welcome to the forum.

Yes, you are right here and we can certainly help you improve your English.
Firstly, I have to ask you to use proper capitalzation (If you need an explanation of the rules just ask away).
Secondly, if you'd like to be corrected I need some assistance from you: I don't understand your last sentence good enough to be able to correct it. I'm going to make a somewhat educated guess but you'll have to tell me if I guessed wrong.

Ja du bist hier richtig und wir können bestimmt helfen dein Englisch zu verbessern.
Zuallererst muss ich dich aber bitten auf deine Groß- und Kleinschreibung zu achten (falls du eine Erklärung der Regeln benötigst frag einfach).
Zweitens, falls du auf eine Korrektur wert legst, brauche ich deine Hilfe: Ich verstehe deinen letzten Satz nicht gut genug um ihn korrigieren zu können. Ich werde dir einfach mal meinen "begründeten Verdacht" mitteilen, aber du musst mir sagen, falls ich falsch geraten habe.

This is what I think your text meant:
Hallo, hier bin ich richtig. Ich suche Leute um mein Englisch zu verbessern.
Ich hoffe, dass wir hier sehr viel schreiben werden und ihr mir helft mein Englisch zu verbessern.

If this is right:
Hi, I am right here. I'm looking for people to improve my English.
I hope that we are going to write a lot here and that you can help me to improve my English.
If you're not sure whether your English will be udnerstood or no, you can just provide a German translation along with your English text.

Be safe,
Tiorthan

Uschi82
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Uschi82 »

Hello Everybody,

my name is Birgit and I want to improve my English. I have a new job starting january and I have to speak and write there the whole day.
Is here somebody who can help me to improve my English? I have an account at icq and msn.
I hope to find somebody, maybe somebody who can help me with speaking and writing business english either.

I hope these sentences were not too wrong.

greetings
Birgit

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Your English is not too bad.
Uschi82 hat geschrieben:Hello Everybody,

My7 name is Birgit and I want to improve my English. I have a new job starting in January1 and I will2 have to speak and write English3 there the whole day.
Is here somebody who can help me to improve my English? I have an account on ICQ and MSN4.
I hope to find somebody, maybe somebody who can help me with speaking and writing business English5 either6.

I hope these sentences were not too wrong.

Greetings
Birgit
1 - The names of the months are capitalized.

2 - It's still in the future as of today, isn't it?

3 - I guess that's what you meant.

4 - Even though the MSN uses lower case letters in their company logo the abbreviation is still capitalized.

5 - Names of languages and countries – geographical names in general – are capitalized in all instances, even when used as an adjective.

6 - I don't know what you meant with "either".

7 - Mind, that the first sentence after the greeting does start with a capital letter in English as opposed to a lower case letter in German.

By the way, you can find my MSN and ICQ contact in my profile. If you want to add me, you'll have to tell me where I may know you from.

kellz
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von kellz »

Hey Tanja and Birgit,
I am in Bingen and am looking for people with whom to practice my german. We could meet and try 'tandem learning'. As I understand it, we speak English for a period of time then we could plaudern auf Deutsch. I would be more than willing to politely correct you if needed or wanted but would really appreciate it if you corrected my German. By the way, if anyone else is interested in trying this form of language exchange please feel free to contact me. I am 46 years old (young), male and am escaping the Canadian winter here in Germany.

Antworten