Conditional Simple

Alles zu den englischen Zeiten im Aktiv und Passiv.
Questions on tenses (Active and Passive).
Antworten
Chloe
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: Russisch

Conditional Simple

Beitrag von Chloe »

Hello!

I'd like to know how one can express one's dreams or wishes in the future. It's not clear whether it'll happen.

" Yesterday I imagined our meet. I thought what you'd wear and how you'd speak with me... You'd set in the cafe at the window and I'd be outside and look at you, but you'd not notice me..."

Is it correct to use Conditional Simple here?

Thank you!

With bes wishes,

Chloe

panic22
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: deutsch

Re: Conditional Simple

Beitrag von panic22 »

Hallo! ;)

Darf ich versuchen, hihi? ;)
Chloe hat geschrieben:
I'd like to know how one can express one's dreams or wishes in the future. It's not clear whether it'll happen.

" Yesterday I visualized our meeting. I was thinking (nehme halt an du hast nicht nur einen kurzen Gedanken daran verschwendet ;) )about what you were wearing and how you were speaking / talking to me... You were sitting in the cafe at the window and I was outside and looked at you, but you did not notice me..."

Is it correct to use Conditional Simple here?

Thank you!

With best wishes,

Chloe
Well, to my mind, as picked the word "yesterday" so it refers to the past tense you also could simply stay at the same tense all the way, though it doesn't seem to be too wrong the way you did type it... However, this is just my opinion :chief:

Lastly, I don't get that line where you wrote that you paid thoughts about how the both of you were having a conversation and on the other hand he even did not notice you stay outside? ;)

Hope I could help ^_^

C youu :out:

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Hi panic, :)
I think you must have misunderstood Chloe's intention. Maybe it's a woman's thing. :talk1:
(I might be wrong, but I think you're a young man, am I right?)

This meeting has not really happened, it's a kind of daydream, or so I think. She's imagining how it would be and so she would have to use the Conditional, I think. And it's quite typical for daydreams that you envisage different scenarios, so talking or just looking from the outside are both possible. But still some of your corrections are really good!

"Yesterday I visualized our meeting. I tried to imagine what you would be wearing and what you would be saying to me. You would be sitting in the cafe, near the window, and I would be standing outside, looking at you, but you wouldn't notice me..." (seufz)...

Cheers
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Chloe
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von Chloe »

Panic22, thank you very much! He'd notice me later and then we'd be having a conversation :)

Duckduck, you're right! I'm so glad that you're a woman :wink: It's a daydream. It can happen, but it's not sure...

Unfortunately I didn't understand why you've chosen Conditional Progressive. Could you explain it to me, please?

panic22
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von panic22 »

Oh, noo!

You so got me!

Somehow I'm realizing, I didn't read these 2 lines above the actual "daydream".

Anyhow, It definitely must be a woman's thing, can't think of any guy I know who takes his time for dreams during the day.. haha, I'm kidding of course. No offense intended there. :big_thumb:

And yee! I'm luckily not old yet. How did you guess? :roll:

That is why I'm trying to catch at everything what has to do with English as a tongue, and a little more, probably, haha, as I wasn't taught it at the very young age though :freu:

Na, und wenn ich meinen Senf zum Progressive abgeben darf, also es wäre ganz oki auch ohne be + ing, es klingt einfach nur idiomatischer, nicht?

C youu :out:

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

panic, ich mag Dich von mal zu mal besser leiden :wink: und Chloe ja sowieso...

Also auf Deine Frage, ja, das progressive habe ich gewählt, weil Dein Tagtraum ja sicher eine fortschreitende Handlung beinhaltete und nicht nur eine Momentaufnahme wie ein Photo, das Du von der Person vor Dir hattest. Und dann sind natürlich auch die Handlungen - sogar das Tragen bestimmter Kleidung und das Sitzen - fortschreitende Handlungen und deshalb progressive.
Außerdem fällt mir gerade ein, dass die Simple Form mir in diesem Zusammenhang als bestimmter vorkommen würde. Als sei das ganze eine Art Drehbuch, das Du durch viele Stunden hindurch festgelegt hast. Das ist jetzt so ein Bauchgefühl von der Ente und es kann sein, dass unsere Muttersprachler sich auf den Boden werfen vor Lachen und laut "Dummtüüch!!!" brüllen.

Who knows...
Duckduck doesn't, she just feels :wink1:
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Chloe
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von Chloe »

Duckduck, a friend of mine is a Russian teacher and she told me about a feeling of language. I don't know whether it has to do only with a mother tongue or maybe one can develop this feeling for a foreign language. Anyway it can help to express one's minds correctly. Another friend of mine studied Russian hard at the school, but she is still bad speller.

With best wishes,
Chloe

Antworten