Hey y'all!

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
Alania
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Hey y'all!

Beitrag von Alania »

Hello, everyone! :D

My name is Alania (as you can see).*laughs*
I am here because I really, really would like to improve my English. :) (bet, you didn't expect this - ha ha ... sorry, I'm kidding ;))
Because of that reason, I am reading English books and even listening to English radio. (From time to time.)

I am eighteen years old and still attending school. 12th Grade, no - 13th now. ^^
Btw, I am from Germany. (:

So ... It would be great, if I could learn to avoid making stupid mistakes ... with your help. :)

Regards,
Alania

Pennsylvanian
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Am. Englisch

Re: Hey y'all!

Beitrag von Pennsylvanian »

From one forum newbie to another, welcome! :wink2:
Mind your speech a little lest you should mar your fortunes. - William Shakespeare

Alania
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Alania »

Thank you! :D

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Welcome to the forum. Your English doesn't seem so bad to me. The only thing I'd change is
Because of that reason, ...
Because that's like saying "Aufgrund dieses Grundes" in German which is quite redundant in my oppinion. Using "because of that" or "for that reason" would be sufficient, and shorter.

Oh! and don't be sorry for kidding. We all know the importance of being ernest (which is a fun book by the way) but this would be a dreary place if everyone was earnest all the time.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Alania
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Alania »

Thank you as well. (:
Your English doesn't seem so bad to me.
Thanks, but that's because I'm avoiding complicated sentences. ^^ On the other hand ... I should try writing a little bit more, so you can correct my mistakes ... or help me formulating my sentences ... Otherwise I won't learn anything ... ~sighs~

Because that's like saying "Aufgrund dieses Grundes" in German which is quite redundant in my oppinion. Using "because of that" or "for that reason" would be sufficient, and shorter.
Yeah, you are right! That makes sense!

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

You're welcome.
Alania hat geschrieben: Thanks, but that's because I'm avoiding complicated sentences.
The more complicated sentences are composed of simpler clauses anyways so to be able to form a complex sentence you have to know how to construct simple sentences first and then learn how to link them together. I know that I make it sound simpler than it is but the "linking" is the easier of the two things, in my experience.
^^ On the other hand ... I should try writing a little bit more, so you can correct my mistakes ... or help me formulating my sentences ... Otherwise I won't learn anything ... ~sighs~
You already do that :D

I have a problem here. I'd say "help me formulate" but I don't know if that's in line with the standard, can anyone help?

Alania
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Alania »

The more complicated sentences are composed of simpler clauses anyways so to be able to form a complex sentence you have to know how to construct simple sentences first and then learn how to link them together. I know that I make it sound simpler than it is but the "linking" is the easier of the two things, in my experience.
Okay ...
I'll try hard. (Is this right? Or do I have to use an adverb? But "hardly" doesn't seem to fit. It sounds strange ... Oo)
I have a problem here. I'd say "help me formulate" but I don't know if that's in line with the standard, can anyone help?
Yeah ... I wasn't quite sure, either. (Or neither?)

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Alania hat geschrieben: I'll try hard. (Is this right? Or do I have to use an adverb? But "hardly" doesn't seem to fit. It sounds strange ... Oo)
You did use an adverb and the right one too. The adverb to the adjective "hard" is "hard" which is one of the few exceptions to the rule where you don't add -ly to form the adverb.

The adverb "hardly" originally developed from "hard" but about 400 years ago evolved into a seperate word meaning barely, scarcely, only just, or with difficulty. So it can hardly be regarded as an adverb form of "hard" anymore.

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

tiorthan hat geschrieben:
@tiorthan

Yes, it is, actually. You can say "help + gerund", though, but it has a different meaning:

"I can't help laughing." => "Ich kann mir nicht helfen, ich muss lachen/ich kann nicht anders als zu lachen."

"help" + (to) Infinitive" => "helfen, etwas zu tun"

"Help me make it through the night." :band:

@Aliana
It would have to be "I wasn't quite sure either." Otherwise it would be a double negative, something that occurs in colloquial, spoken English (American) but shouldn't be used in Standard English.

Cheers
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Duckduck hat geschrieben: @tiorthan

Yes, it is, actually. You can say "help + gerund", though, but it has a different meaning:

"I can't help laughing." => "Ich kann mir nicht helfen, ich muss lachen/ich kann nicht anders als zu lachen."
Of course! Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. Thanks!

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

OOPS, sorry Alania, got your vowels mixed up...

Cheers
Duckduck

Alania
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Alania »

You did use an adverb and the right one too. The adverb to the adjective "hard" is "hard" which is one of the few exceptions to the rule where you don't add -ly to form the adverb.

The adverb "hardly" originally developed from "hard" but about 400 years ago evolved into a seperate word meaning barely, scarcely, only just, or with difficulty. So it can hardly be regarded as an adverb form of "hard" anymore.
Ah, thank you for the information!
Okay ... So I have to say "Help me formulate"? Sounds better as well ... ^^
Otherwise it would be a double negative, something that occurs in colloquial, spoken English (American) but shouldn't be used in Standard English.
Thank you! I'll keep it in mind. (:
Haha ... No problem. You're forgiven.

Or does a expression like "Mach dir keinen Kopf drum" in English exist? x)

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Haha ... No problem. You're forgiven.

Or is there an expression like "Mach dir keinen Kopf drum" in English? x)

Oh yes, our Australian friends like to say "No worries, mate!"
The "rest" would probably say something like "Don't worry!", "Don't you worry!" "No reason to worry!"

Cheers
Duckduck

Alania
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Alania »

Okay, so ...
No reason to worry! ^^
Or is there an expression like "Mach dir keinen Kopf drum" in English? x)
Oh great!
I've managed to make my favourite mistake. It is kind of a habit of mine to write "does exist" instead of "is there".
Ah … Now that's annoying! *laughs desperately*

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Oh you didn't make a mistake per se. Duckduck used green for that correction meaning expression or style.

The word order in your sentence was wrong and should have been "Or does ... exist in English".

And, although I agree with Duckduck in that I also woud use "Is there ..." , the phrase "Does ... exist?" is used in English as well. You can find it in questions like "Does God exist?" or "Does freedom of speech exist in our society?" etc.

Antworten