How to learn effectively.
Antworten
Steffen637
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Exercises

Beitrag von Steffen637 »

Hello,

i wanted to write down some textes to train my writing skills. Please tell me if there are any mistakes and it would be really nice of you when you give me some advises.

cheers Steffen

Weight Lifting
Three disciplines are fundamental and important for the contest of “world strongest man”. The first discipline is dead-lift, what includes the word “dead”, because it’s a very rough way to show how strong and skilled is someone in lifting of a weight. The second exercise is bench press, where a person have to lie on a bench and presses a weight up and down to the chest. The best lifters can bench up to 600 lbs what is a weight of 300 kg. The third and last exercise is pressing a weight above the head. There are existing persons who can lift up about 200kg over their head.

Travelling by Airplane

There are a lot of ways to travel. One of them and surely the safest is travelling by plane. Just one of ten thousand airplanes get into serious troubles during the flight. But that must not be a damaging crash where dozens of people die. It can be a small defect at a machine or electronic device too.

Pennsylvanian
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Am. Englisch

Re: Exercises

Beitrag von Pennsylvanian »

Hi Steffen, well done, but I'd recommend the following changes:
Steffen637 hat geschrieben:Three disciplines are fundamental and important (somewhat redundant) for the contest of “world'sstrongest man”. The first discipline is dead-lifting, whichincludes the word “dead”, because it’s a very rough way to show how strong and skilled is someone in lifting of a weight. The second exercise is bench press, where a person has to lie on a bench,presses ("presses" could be grammatically correct here, but "press" sounds better ) a weight up from his chest, and then lower it steadily back down to the chest (or "back down to chest height"). The best lifters can bench up to 600 lbswhich is a weight of 300 kg. The third and last exercise is pressing a weight above the head("overhead press"?). There are currentlypersons who can lift uptoabout 200kg over their heads.
Steffen637 hat geschrieben:There are a lot of ways to travel. One of them - and surely the safest - is travelling by plane. Just one of ten thousand airplanes get into serious troubles during the flight, but that doesn't necessarily mean a catastrophic crash where dozens of people die. It can be a small mechanical or electronic defect.
Mind your speech a little lest you should mar your fortunes. - William Shakespeare

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

@Steffen

I wanted to write down some textes to train my writing skills. Please tell me if there are any mistakes and it would be really nice (of you) if you gave me some advice.

Cheers Steffen

Hallo Beide! Mir ist noch was aufgefallen! Darf ich?!

because it’s a very rough way of showing how strong and skilled someone is in the lifting of a weight / in lifting a weight.
The second exercise is bench pressing, where a person has to lie on a bench,presses ("presses" could be grammatically correct here, but "press" sounds better )
Die Form 3. Person Singular (hier: "presses") wäre in diesem Fall nicht korrekt, weil sich das Wort auf das Hilfsverb "has to" bezieht. Nach diesem steht immer der Infinitiv. Übrigens auch im Deutschen: "Wir müssen tanzen, lachen, springen und kichern."
"presses" wäre hier nur richtig, wenn sich das "müssen" nur auf das "auf der Bank liegen" bezöge und die anderen Tätigkeiten mit z.B. "and" angeschlossen würden: "...has to lie on a bench and then he presses..."
Just one of ten thousand airplanes gets into serious trouble s during the flight ,
Grüße
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

By the way, 600 lbs are only 272 kg which is a lot less than 300, I think.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Rob_Harris
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von Rob_Harris »

Steffen637 hat geschrieben:There are a lot of ways to travel. One of them - and surely the safest - is travelling by plane. Just one of ten thousand airplanes get into serious troubles during the flight, but that doesn't necessarily mean a catastrophic crash where dozens of people die. It can be a small mechanical or electronic defect.

"one in ten thousand" surely?

Antworten