Greetings from Pennsylvania!

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
Pennsylvanian
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Am. Englisch

Greetings from Pennsylvania!

Beitrag von Pennsylvanian »

Hello! I’m a native English speaker from the area just outside of Philadelphia. Online questionnaires have informed me that my accent in English is “as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak”. Around here, we know that all proper English speakers pronounce “Mary”, “marry”, and “merry” differently. ;)

However, I have been told during my visits to Europe that I sound as though I could be from Canada, though I feel that residents of the northern United States and Canada itself would have no trouble recognizing the distinction.

I’m a friendly guy with many interests. I love learning other languages, most notably German and Irish-Gaelic, but I’ve also dabbled a bit recently with Dutch. In high school I took electives in Spanish, and in college, found it suited me to take a class in Russian. Unfortunately, with none of the above could I ever hope to impress a native speaker.

Outside my adventures in linguistic studies, I enjoy thoughtful philosophical or political discussions, going out to eat and trying new foods, and listening to all sorts of music from bluegrass to hip-hop.

I will be more than happy to offer my assistance to anyone with questions they may have about English, particularly American English. I was once told that the hardest word for a native German speaker to pronounce is “rear-view mirror”. I hope that I’ll have many people here pronouncing “rear-view mirror” just like us yanks in no time at all! And I pray that in return, you’ll pardon my atrocious German, and even more abysmal use of the “Modalpartikeln”, and perhaps offer me some constructive criticism. ;)
Mind your speech a little lest you should mar your fortunes. - William Shakespeare

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: Greetings from Pennsylvania!

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Oh finally someone with a clear pronunciation. :D
Dia dhuit agus fáilte ar an bhfóram, a chara.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

caro64
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von caro64 »

Welcome Pennysylvanian, :freu:
nice to know that not all Americans pronounce there "a's" as "e's", not that I find it that bad coming from an American but I always found it very confusing when a German did it. I can remember when the car airbags were invented and everyone here in Germany talking about "erbegs" I naturally called them "erbegs" too until I finally saw the word written :lol: I laughed my head off. Anyway I am very sure that your help will be much appreciated and that there are plenty of kind people here who will enjoy helping you too. Enjoy yourself here and feel free to ask for help if you need it.
All the best,
Caro

Pennsylvanian
Topic Talker

Thank you both for the welcome! It's also good to see some knowledge of Irish here too!

Also, to those who have sent me private messages, I am currently unable to reply. Hopefully I'll gain the ability to respond to these messages once I am more active on the forum. :D
Mind your speech a little lest you should mar your fortunes. - William Shakespeare

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Keswick »

Good morning and a very warm welcome, Pennsylvanian! :)

I hope you'll enjoy your time here!
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Yeah, look who's coming: too late as usual! :roll:

"Can't be helped", she gasps out, waddling as fast as she can towards the American guest to bid him/her welcome! :bye:

Duckduck :wink:
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Pennsylvanian
Topic Talker

Keswick hat geschrieben:Good morning and a very warm welcome, Pennsylvanian! :)

I hope you'll enjoy your time here!

Thanks!
Duckduck hat geschrieben:Yeah, look who's coming: too late as usual! :roll:

"Can't be helped", she gasps out, waddling as fast as she can towards the American guest to bid him/her welcome! :bye:

Duckduck :wink:

Thank you, and better late than never! Just one question though: where's the goose? :wink:

Maria
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von Maria »

What a question? Well on the pond! :wink2:

..and welcome to you all.

(btw I'm not a newbie anymore? how did that come? I don't feel like I've extended my knowledge, I wanna go back to my first level?! :hammer: ..shoot!)

Antworten