A question to the U.K. election

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
andy55
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Deutsch

A question to the U.K. election

Beitrag von andy55 »

I have a question to all of you?

Tommorow the English election is held: Last week I was looking the debate to the election. The three members of the parties: David Cameroon, Golden Brown and Nick Clegg.

I was really surprised about the politicans. If I thought about our Austrian politicans.

But now to my question: What do you think about the pronouncation of the three candiates?

Keswick
English Legend

Re: A question to the U.K. election

Beitrag von Keswick »

andy55 hat geschrieben:I have a question for all of you.

Tomorrow the English election will be held: Last week I watched the debate about the election. The three members of the parties: David Cameron, Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg.

I was really surprised about the politicians considering our Austrian politicians.

But now to my question: What do you think about the pronuncation of the three candiates?
:D The Labour leader is called Gordon, not Golden.. that's a song by The Strangler :wink: .

What do you mean with pronunciation? Are you sure you used the right word there, Andy?
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

andy55
Topic Talker

Beitrag von andy55 »

What I wanted to say and I am serious about it: Maybe it still sounds provocative but in your opinion: Do these politicians using a very good command of English?
For me as a layman they are using very good English. What do you think about their language skills: mode of expression, eloquence? What was your first impression?

I am interested in the first place, not what they say, but what manner of expression and intonation of the words they used.
This was the intention of my question.

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Ah now I get it. Well, all three men are very eloquent and speak a high standard of English. But you should always keep in mind that the English they speak on TV or on stage is a kind of English that they probably do not speak at home (or not in such a clear way). But all three politicians clearly have a high educational standard.

Gordon Brown mumbles a bit, but that is not a big issue in general.

I have known all three candidates for a couple of years, however it was the first time that I have actually seen Nick Clegg in a debate. Have you seen the big discussion on TV - all three politicians talking to and against each other? In my opinion Nick Clegg did a rather good job there, especially when you consider the fact that David Cameron is a very strong public speaker.

andy55
Topic Talker

Beitrag von andy55 »

I think this year's election will bring a sea change no matter if Nick Clegg, Gordon Brown, or David Cameron win these election.

But in your view what role does U.K play in the future in Europe?
And will a single currency come in Europe, therefore also to U.K.?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

andy55 hat geschrieben:I think this year's election will bring a big change no matter if Nick Clegg, Gordon Brown, or David Cameron win this election.

But what role does U.K play in the future in Europe from your point of view?
And will a single currency come in Europe, therefore also to U.K.?
Things have to change, Andy. The current situation in Great Britain needs to be reviewed and there a lot of aspects that have to be changed, for example the tax situation, the benefits, the NHS (as usual), education, immigration and obviously the national debt as well as issues like the independence of Scotland and Wales. I don't know how the new (or old) government wants to tackle all this but the country needs change.

I am not sure who is going to make it, we'll find out in the next couple of days. I think the Lib Dems are quite strong, however they won't get the absolute majority and have to confederate with either the Tories or Labour. Labour is quite strong but people are disappointed in Gordon Brown and his ways. So I think the tendency is away from Labour. But you never know. There a loads of people who change their mind on a very short notice, sometimes even in the polling booth. So we will see. I know what I would have voted for (if I was allowed to vote) but I won't tell.

I think Great Britain will play a vital role in the future of Europe, however they will try to stay as independent as possible. When it comes to one single currency. Looking at public polls, I think there is a bigger chance of the hell freezing over, than the English accepting the Euro. And if the government accepted the Euro without asking the people there'd be hell on.

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Delfino »

Keswick hat geschrieben: I know what I would have voted for
(if I was allowed to vote) but I won't tell.
I've been living here in the UK for only a couple of month now and
I did receive the polling card for the local election.

Didn't you get at least that one too?
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hi Delfino,

no I did not get the polling card for the local election. Simple reason for it was that I have recently moved from one council to another. And I was too late to register. It was my fault, I thought I'd be registered as soon as I register for council tax. Utter mistake from my side :roll: . So what I had to do was ring the Council (which I did a couple of days ago), register with them and arrange a voting in the Council building (or rather nearby in their polling station). They have my new card there and I will go there tonight (they're open until 10 p.m.) and give my vote for the local election. It is a bit of an effort (I won't complain though as it was entirely my fault) but I would not want to miss the vote. And hopefully they will have sorted out the polling card for the next local election and send them on time.

I was actually thinking about a dual citizenship but I currently can't afford the fees :| .

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Delfino »

I know dual citizenship is restricted under German law.
Are there any advantages of a dual citizenship besides the obvious right to vote in the UK?
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

No dual citizenship is no longer restricted, Delfino. This law was changed on 28/08/2007. See here: http://www.bva.bund.de/cln_170/nn_38393 ... _nnn=true" .

Well there are many discussions about the pros and cons of a dual citizenship.
I think there are neither many pros nor cons since Germany is part of the EU. So the right to vote is the only real advantage.

One big downpoint is that when you carry a dual citizenship you need your German passport to enter and leave Germany, but your British passport when you enter and leave Great Britain. That's ridiculous :rolleyes: .

You have to live in the UK for five years before you can apply for it, unless your spouse is British.

andy55
Topic Talker

Beitrag von andy55 »

No, it becomes clear that a huge parliament will come.
But what is the next step? Starts Gordon Brown to talk about with the Lib Dem?
Is David Cameron automaticaly the next Prime minister, or how does it work?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Well I really can't imagine a hung parliament of Tories and Labour. :roll:
So far 617 of 650 have been counted, 291 for the Blue, 248 for Red, 51 for Yellow. I can only assume that Conservative will aim at a coalition with the LibDems.

No seats for the BNP :big_thumb: - what a relief. However the BNP had a plus of 5.1% in my local constituency - what a nightmare!

Looking at the geographical results, the North (incl. Scotland) is mainly Labour and LibDem. Mind you, the councils Berwick upon Tweed, Blyth Valley, Hexham, Penrith & the Border, Copeland, Westmorland & Londsdale, Morecambe & Lunesdale, Lancaster & Fleetwood, Yorkshire and Humber as well as parts of Scotland have yet to be counted.

andy55
Topic Talker

Beitrag von andy55 »

But what do you think what happen with Gordon Brown? Will he stay in the politics? In my view he must be really dissapointed, because he lost the election and finally he is the leader of the party

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Gordon Brown is not different from any other politician and he will stay in politics, one way or the other. Not being prime minister anymore doesn't mean his political careers is at an end. I mean, look at Tony Blair or John Major. They're all still in politics. Margaret Thatcher is no longer in politics, due to her declining health.

And I don't think Brow is overly disappointed. Fair enough he might be but I am sure he saw the change coming.

Antworten