Losing english skills

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
julya
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Losing english skills

Beitrag von julya »

Hi all,

Since a few days i have the feeling that i lose my English skills. No word, no sentence - I want to write or to speak - seems correctly. If i listen to English conversations i trouble to understand the easiest words and phrases.

What can that be? My mind is empty. Is there anyone who has the same experiences?

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: Losing english skills

Beitrag von Keswick »

julya hat geschrieben:Hi all,

For a couple of days now I have had the feeling that I lose my English skills. No word, no sentence - I want to write or to speak - seems correct. If I listen to English conversations I have trouble to understand the easiest words and phrases.

What could that be? My mind is empty. Is there anyone who has the same experiences?
What I think it could be is this: you might think to much about the language as such. Try to let it flow, let it come naturally. Allow yourself to make mistakes every now and again and once you notice that there was something wrong think about what went wrong and what you could have done better.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

smile
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von smile »

Dear Julya

I know your feelings so good. Last year, I tried to improve my skills so hard, that I felt the same like you. I talked to my english teacher and she said more or less the same words to me like Keswick. And then I allowed myselfe to relax. O.k., I am doing mistakes but that's o.k. I can't improve all in one step. And all the things I don't understand today, I know, it will happen on another day.
So, all I want to say to you is: :wink: let it go, and it will come :wink:

best wishes
smile :lol:

engless
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English

Since a few days

Beitrag von engless »

'Since a few days' - You mean - these last few days - the trick is not to worry about it , just read something you like, listen to some Queen or Katie Melua watch a bit of 'Black Adder' on Youtube and do a few quizzes at engless.

camron467
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von camron467 »

also, you would say

What could it be? nicht What could that be?

eeboot
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von eeboot »

If i have contact with the english language i encounter similar situations. My vocabulary is gone and i do no longer understand the easiest sentences.

Just a lag of practise i assume. From time to time i grap a DVD and start watching movies in english if it gets to hard i use the subtitle. That usual helps to recall some of the vocabulary and the ability to understand spoken english :)

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Delfino »

eeboot hat geschrieben:Sometimes I have a similar experience especially in situations
when I haven't been in contact with the English language recently
My vocabulary seems to be gone and I no longer understand the most simple sentences.

It is just a lag of practise I presume. From time to time I grap a DVD and
start watching a movie in English if it gets to hard I use the subtitles.
This usually helps me to recall some of the vocabulary
and to retain the ability to understand spoken English. :)
Please remember to use capital letters when writing in English!
(e.g. English, I, ... )
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

Antworten