feedback as well as correction

Hier könnt ihr Sätze und kurze Texte zum Korrigieren einstellen.
Antworten
Ashai
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

feedback as well as correction

Beitrag von Ashai »

Hi there,

I wrote an argumentative essay on tuition fees. Could someone read my essay and give me a feedback on it? I know it is quite much to read.

Thanks a lot in advance, I appreciate

kind regards

Should there be tuition fees?

During the last few years tuition fees were established within Germany, which caused a lot of controversies on the subject. Many students were and still are against and many are likewise pro such fees. In this essay I will show advantages and disadvantages of such fees presented by party officials, students and common people regarding political as well as social aspects and briefly summarize my opinion on the output.

Politicians argue that tuition fees imply improvement of the quality of teaching at universities by gaining more money. On one hand infrastructure of universities and manning on the other will improve. The former is reached by not only equipping classrooms with high tech such as beamers and laptops but also by building new classrooms at all. The later is reached by employing more professors or lectors, which will create smaller classes. Also more tutorials can be established in which students can get help or find jobs to finance their studies.

Moreover, advocates claim that tuition fees force students to be more serious not only about choosing their subject, but also about finishing their studies fast. So students who study “just for fun” will be banned from universities and do not bedevil taxpayers by exploiting the special social status given to students, e.g. not paying taxes, not paying or at least not much health insurance and many benefits such as railway tickets.

The main argument pro tuition fees is that universities need to give account to students. On one hand students are able to demand proper education and on the other universities with low enrolment figures are forced to either close down or improve their quality of education. However, students need to be aware of their power and use it properly. In doing so, they have great influence on organizational and employment structures of universities.

Many Politicians, students and common people are against tuition fees. Especially students point out that those fees are not used appropriately. Firstly, they flow into the household of the federal states which give the money back to the universities. There neither is any control of how the fees are divided amongst the different universities of a federal state nor of how much money flows back to the universities at all. Secondly, students do not have the possibility to influence the distribution of the money within universities. So it could happen that 80% of the given money is given to the scientific department, 20% to the department concerned with law and none to the department handling the humanities. The students of the humanities do pay tuition fees but do not benefit from them. Thirdly, the government could argue that since there are tuition fees official benefits can and maybe will be shortened. So no one knows for sure how the fees are used.

Opponents also insist that the government needs to care for social equality and justice. Since there are only a few scholarship programmes for socially disadvantaged, poor people need to raise money to finance their studies. Students whose parents are rich on contraire do not start into their professional life with debts. Studies show that socially handicapped do not go to university because they on one hand fear the debts and on the other they know exactly that one often needs money to start an academic career, too, e.g. a doctor who wants to have his/her own doctor’s office has to raise money, which means even more debts to poor people. As stated above there are only few programmes giving scholarships to students, but the requirements are either good grades, which means that only very good poor people can attend university whereas all rich people can enrol, or you have to be a migrate, which increases racism against minorities. Therefore, social equality is not given, even though this is a basic right of our state.

Tuition fees violate basic human rights given not only in the Charta of the UN but also in the German constitution. All men are created equal, says one article in both documents. With establishing tuition fees some are created more equal than others, to speak in G. Orwell’s words; rich people are able to study whereas poor people are not. They can either raise money or get a scholarship based on their grades, which allows only those who have good grades to go to university, so rich people are more equal than poor people; and rich people having worse grades than comparable poor people are more equal than those comparable poor people. Therefore, study fees violate another article saying that everybody has the right to education. This article says though, that higher education shall be equally accessible to everybody on the basis of merit. Studies show, however, that grades cannot be a basis of merit, because they do not evaluate humans properly. Albert Einstein for example had very bad grades, but he was a splendid scientist.

Regarding all aspects, I think, tuition fees are unacceptable as long as they regard the first degree which is gained on adequate time, because proper education is needed to maintain democracy and, as stated above, a basic human right. Nonetheless, the number of long term students needs to be minored and the financial situation of education needs to be improved, therefore further public interest and discussions are needed.

Antworten