Sich etwas von etwas erhoffen... in English please ;)

Hier könnt ihr Sätze und kurze Texte zum Korrigieren einstellen.
Antworten
Josh
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: German/Korean

Sich etwas von etwas erhoffen... in English please ;)

Beitrag von Josh »

Heyho,

following situation:
I've been told that dealing or understanding english slang might become a little tiring for me, since, if it gets really bad, there won't be much hope for me to understand anything...
So I wrote a comment to that when I was wondering about how to translate the following term:

Das ist der Teil von dem ich mir erhoffe, etwas für mich mitnehmen/aufschnappen/lernen zu können.

Despite of wrecking my brains for a possible solution, I couldn't really come up with a precise translation.
These are a few of my translation-ideas:

That/this is the part I hope to pick up over the period. <-- Sounds kind of bumpy to me, because "pick up" is probably rather used in contexts such as to pick sth up from the ground?

That's what I hope to catch on to (over the time/period).

Getting the hang of slang is what I hope to achieve step by step (or "long-term" etc...)
<-- nice rhyme btw. ;)

One more:

Understanding and using slang (in an adequat way) is something I hope to learn over the time.

Or more formal:

To understand the correct use (or implementation) of slang words/terms is one target I try to reach/achieve. <-- Could surely be used I think, but won't be put into practise unless I'm speaking to someone "normal". :D

Hope you guys can give me a helping hand with that.

Cheers,
Josh

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Keswick »

I would translate it as such:

Understanding and using slang (in an adequate way) is something I hope to pick up over time.

"to pick sth. up" is quite a common way to express that you learn something from hearing it.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Josh
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Josh »

Thx Keswick.

Another sentence...

Ich kann mich nicht daran erinnern, jemals ein Buch zwei Mal/mehrmals gelesen zu haben.

I can't remember (of?) having ever re-read a book.
I can't remember (of?) having ever read a book more than once.

Or totally different:

I can't think of a time when I re-read a book.

The first two sound terrible to me. :-/

Thx for help...

Joefish
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Joefish »

Ich entschuldige mich jetzt schon einmal im voraus für meine Unwissenheit, jedoch finde ich 'ever having read' komisch.
Erstens 'ever' sollte hier doch vor den Vollverb, also 'read' stehen oder?
Zweitens was für eine Zeit soll 'having read' sein?
Sieht aus wie irgendeine continuous-Form, jedoch geht es hier ja um die Handlung an sich und nicht nach dem Verlauf dieser meiner Meinung nach.

Anscheinend irre ich mich, aber ich möchte mich einfach vergewissern und aus meinem Denkfehler lernen, auch wenn ich hier Fragen in den Thread eines anderen poste...

Mein Vorschlag wäre:

I can't remember that I've ever read a book twice/several times.

Ach ja und bitte nicht hauen, ne? :mrgreen:

Josh
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Josh »

Mein Vorschlag wäre:

I can't remember that I've ever read a book twice/several times.
Your suggestion is one possible way of translating it for sure, absolutely no doubt. The point that disturbs me is the fact, that your version would simply change the original term:

Ich kann mich nicht daran erinnern, ein Buch jemals mehrmals gelesen zu haben.

Your translation would rather match this phrase:

Ich kann mich nicht daran, dass ich jemals ein Buch mehrmals gelesen habe.

Which doesn't mean your version is wrong, far from it. But what interests me is especially the direct translation of "gelesen zu haben", therefore I'll favour the other suggestions. :)
Basically your right. Thx btw for your participation.

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Josh hat geschrieben:Your suggestion is one possible way of translating it for sure, absolutely no doubt.
To be honest I do doubt it. Not because it is completely wrong but it sounds dodgy. An English person would not say it like this. At least not the ones I have met.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Antworten