wanna talk a lil bit?

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
K.Kain
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: german

wanna talk a lil bit?

Beitrag von K.Kain »

well hello! :cool:
my english is rusted in the past years and i need to enhance it for the job that i got.
so is anybody interested in a conversation with me?

and correct all my mistakes please!! =) tanks!

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: wanna talk a lil bit?

Beitrag von Keswick »

K.Kain hat geschrieben:well hello! :cool:
my English has rusted in the past years and I need to enhance it for the job that I got.
So is anybody interested in a conversation with me?

And correct all my mistakes please!! =) Thanks!
What do you do for a living, K.Kain?
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

K.Kain
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von K.Kain »

first: thanks for correcting me!

i'm workin' in a publishing company for theater and musicals.
we're sellin' licences for the single plays..

what are you doin'?

you are from gemany right? where do you exactly come from?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

K.Kain hat geschrieben:First: thanks for correcting me! No bother :) .

I'm working in a publishing company for theater and musicals.
We're selling licences for the single plays..

What are you doing?

You are from Germany right? Where exactly do you come from?
Achte auf die Gross- und Kleinschreibung.

Sounds interesting. Who do you sell the licences to? To individual people or to theatre companies?

I work as a Linguist Monitor and translator. That means I do monitor and translate media items for b2b competitive research.

I originally come from Lower Franconia (Unterfranken) but I have been living in the United Kingdom for a couple of years.

K.Kain
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von K.Kain »

I see!
That's perfect for your job, I think!

So, we do both.
We're selling the lincences to individual people and to theatres.
We got the performing rights for stage plays like "my fair lady" and several more and if some theatre wants to play this, they must buy or rent the rights at us.

Where do you live now? In Lower Franconia again?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

That sounds very interesting to me. I am going to see "Waiting for Godot" in April in the Theatre Royale. Is your company restricted to theatres in Germany or do you sell licenses worldwide? Would be interesting to know whether you sold the license for Waiting for Godot to our theatre here :).

I live near Newcastle upon Tyne, in the North of England. I like it here and I have not intentions to go back to Germany. Well, not now, ask me again in a couple of years :mrgreen: . Maybe then I'll be all fed up with this place and the people. You never know.

Where do you live?

K.Kain
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von K.Kain »

We're selling worldwide, but the rights for "Waiting for Godot" are not at us. Maybe you know "The Little Shop of Horror" ("Der kleine Horrorladen") or "Evita". This is some sort of our stuff.

What's so fascinating in England? And why - for christ's sake - are hating the english people the scots so much?

I have a scottish friend here in Berlin (besides.. that's where I live at the moment ^.^) and he always complaining about England. I never understood his baseless (from my point of view) hate.

oh.. by the way.. I have to go now. I'm at work right now and my workday is over.
But I would love to continue this conversation tomorrow!
If you answer me, I'll answer you tomorrow!

Have a nice evening!

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

K.Kain hat geschrieben:We're selling worldwide, but the rights for "Waiting for Godot" are not with us. Maybe you know "The Little Shop of Horror" ("Der kleine Horrorladen") or "Evita". This is some sort of our stuff.

What's so fascinating about England? And why - for Christ's sake - do the English hate the Scots so much?

I have a Scottish friend here in Berlin (besides.. that's where I live at the moment ^.^) and he always complaining about England. I never understood his pointless (from my point of view) hate.

Oh.. by the way.. I have to go now. I'm at work right now and my work day is over.
But I would love to continue this conversation tomorrow!
If you answer me, I'll answer you tomorrow!

Have a nice evening!
I have to go now, as well. But I will be back tomorrow so we can talk a little more :). See you later! Tara!

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

:roll: Yeah that would be an acceptable solution. At the end of the day we're only human, aren't we? And sometimes we don't see the wood for the trees.

Anyway, K.Kain, I am back, it is an early snowy and freezing morning and I have just spent 15 minutes standing outside waiting for the guard to let us in. Honestly what is a guard good for if he's always late?

I don't think the Scots and the English really hate each other. It's more like a rivalry in good fun, do you know what I mean? It all goes back to the wars between the Scots and the English, the Highland clearances, Bonny Prince Charlie, William Wallace, Robert the Bruce etc. You can find quite a canny amount of Scottish/English history on websites like Wiki. Nowadays the rivalry is mainly limited to football. My partner is half Scottish, half English and he never gets any chew whatsoever. And I honestly think, although it is only my opinion, that the English and the Scots who still can't stand each other after all those years are just a bit narrow-minded and stuck in history.

K.Kain
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von K.Kain »

Well good morning! =)

It isn't snowy here in Germany but freezing, too. Oh, and I know the problem with "closed doors". I have to come to work in a business suit every day and sometimes I'm the first one in the bureau..
Yeah.. that's bad if you never had the key, you know =). So one day I had to stay in the rain for goddamn 30 minutes until the first fellow arrived.

hmm.. my suit was screwed -.-

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

K.Kain hat geschrieben:Well good morning! =)

It isn't snowy here in Germany but freezing, too. Oh, and I know the problem with "closed doors". I have to come to work in a business suit every day and sometimes I'm the first one in the office..
Yeah.. that's bad if you never have the key, you know =). So one day I had to wait in the rain for goddamn 30 minutes until the first fellow arrived.

hmm.. my suit was screwed -.-
Oh that's nasty. Why don't you have a key when you're the first in the office? Luckily we don't have a dress code, since we don't work with customers. All we do is sit in front of our monitors and try not to fall asleep :D .

K.Kain
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von K.Kain »

Haha!
Oh well, normally I'm one of the last coming into the office, but the exception proves the rule =). We don't really have a dress code but it's clear that we cannot look like a homeless =).

(..and besides.. trying not to fall asleep is that, what i'm doing right now. I had a little less sleep last night..)

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

K.Kain hat geschrieben:Haha!
Oh well, normally I'm one of the last coming into the office, but the exception proves the rule =). We don't really have a dress code but it's clear that we cannot look like a homeless =).

(..and besides.. trying not to fall asleep is that, what i'm doing right now. I had a little less sleep last night..)
Well, we obvisiously are not allowed to come into the office in a tracksuit. We'd look like a bunch of charvers. But jeans and shirt is fine. We just have to make sure that the clothes are neat and tidy. But sitting in front of a monitor for 9 hours in a business suit is horrible. Been there done that. I did not enjoy it at all.

Why did you have little sleep last night?

K.Kain
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von K.Kain »

You're right, sitting in front of a monitor for 9 hours in a business suit IS horrible, but on the other hand I'm loving my job and it was one of my last chances anyway. But that's another story..

Yesterday I was like "Yeah, I'll coming home, sitting on my couch, looking TV and do nothing!" BUT the doorbell rang and a good friend came to visit me. It was a nice evening but it ended certainly at 03h a.m. o.O"

What are you doing in your freetime?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

K.Kain hat geschrieben:You're right, sitting in front of a monitor for 9 hours in a business suit IS horrible, but on the other hand love my job and it was one of my last chances anyway. But that's another story..

Yesterday I was like "Yeah, I'll come home, sit on my couch, watch TV and do nothing!" BUT the doorbell rang and a good friend came to visit me. It was a nice evening but it ended certainly at 03h a.m. o.O"

What are you doing in your free time?
Oh dear, that was a short night. When do you have to get up for work? I have to get up at 5 a.m. so if someone came to visit me and stayed until 3 a.m. I would not even consider going to bed.

I am too tired to do much after work, so when I come home during the week, I spend most of my time doing the household, watching TV, talking to my father on the phone (he recently got divorced and is a bit lonely you know, so he needs someone to talk to). My partner works shifts, so he gets home when I am in bed and I leave for work before he gets up. So we try to spend time together on the weekend, going out or staying in, talking, watching TV. The weather is too cold now for going out much. But if we do, we go and visit friends, go to pubs or as we're both very interested in history and culture, we go to museums, churches, historical sites like stone circles etc. We also like camping, going to music festivals.

A weekend is always too short :( . What do you do in your leisure time?

Antworten