English slang??

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
Auraya
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

English slang??

Beitrag von Auraya »

Hi,

I'm new here and this sub-forum's description is 'Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.'.
So, what is slang?
I can't imagine an american speaking slang?? I know they do, but I have no ideas how this could sound.
Could you help me please? I always wanted to know, how English slang sounds! :D

lg
Auraya

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Slang are certain colloquial words or if you write the way the people in your area would speak.

So where Ah live, pet, the slang wud be summit like that like. Ah divven't knaa tha it is considered slang but some syah so.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Mra
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Mra »

http://www.urbandictionary.com

Da sind fast alle Slang-Begriffe erklärt, die man braucht. ;)

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Yes, pet, mint idea, the problem is, that good ald urbandic doesn't put any slang into context :wink: .

Jme
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von Jme »

Haha Keswick, if i'm not mistaken thats Newcastle or perhaps Sunderland?
Just wondering, I know English isn't your native language but do you have the accent of where you live?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

:freu: Brilliant, Jme, I live near Sunderland, but work in Newcastle so you got it right.

I don't think I have a Northeast accent at all but some of my friends from the down South tell me I sound like a "Gerdie" (not a Geordie), who is a German Geordie :mrgreen: . My partner's from near Durham so I think I adapted some of his accent, too.

Where are you from?

Jme
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Jme »

Gerdie lol.

Its quite difficult for me to answer that. I can say without a question I'm from Scotland but that's the best i can do, I've never lived there as my dads in the army so i move from place to place every 3 years. I was born in Germany and lived here for 9 years along with Northern Ireland for 4 and York for 2ish. Although I'm from Scotland I'd call Northern Ireland home. My accent however is even more stranger, I've absorbed little bits of where I've lived into my accent along with aspects of what i hear at school, so I've ended up with a Scottish base to my accent with a bit of Northern Irish and general English. Mostly English though.

Sadly my German is very basic, something I'm keen on improving.

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

I think it is quite interesting to grow up in so many different parts of the world (or rather Europe) but isn't it difficult as well? I mean you said you consider Northern Ireland your home, but I think many people - especially children of soldiers - find it difficult to call a specific country their home. Don't you think?

But apart from that, which country is your favourite?

Jme
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Jme »

Yeah i think its really difficult to define 'home', most people around here name a country or a county, i feel sorry for how hard it would be for the people who are half German to say somewhere except of course somewhere in Germany but usually they just say 'England/Wales'/Wherever. My favourite country though is Germany by far. I think the people are better than the rest of the UK, everythings cheaper, especially when your parents are on a UK wage, we also get tax off. Also being over here theres a great school, they get money from the government like every school but also get money from the MOD, ministry of defence, and plus as army personnel move around every 3 years we are classed as gypsies by the government so the school gets even more money, so basically its like being in an excellent private school, which is good. Another thing i like about living here is the community, its been described as the UK in the 70's without the crime, its just so different to back in the UK and i prefer it like this and i've got lots of friends who are like i am in the sense of being an army child, when i was back in the UK it was quite different. The foods not bad here either :P.

Being an army child has disadvantages and advantages, i couldn't ever think of living in one place for more than 3 years without wanting to move but now i suppose that i probably have better social skills than most people in the UK as i'm used to moving around and meeting new people. Also i guess i'm more aware of different cultures than most people my age back in the UK. A disadvantage is while i might get an excellent education i'm not 'street smart' if i went back to the UK i'd have to adapt quickly, especially at my age when i move back. I'm quite looking forward to moving to Scotland though.

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Thanks for liking Germany :). I am afraid won't be cheaper for much longer when looking at the stock exchange. But maybe things will improve soon, who knows?

Whereabouts in Scotland do you want to live?

Jme
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Jme »

Germanys amazing, if i could i'd claim German citizenship and i'd consider moving back when i'm older if my Germans good enough.

If we move to Scotland it will be Glasgow, which is good as this is where i want to do college and university.

Antworten