Student exchanges

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Student exchanges

Beitrag von Keswick »

Less and less students seem to be interested in getting to know other countries.. is that true? And if it is, why is that so?

When I was in school we did not get the chance to go to England (Suffolk at that time) because there were only 11 students interested in going to Germany. A friend of mine who is a teacher in Germany told me that there have not been any students exchanges to Germany and vise versa for the last 4 years! Because nobody is interested. That honestly is a shame.

What do you think? Would you participate in such an exchange if you had the chance to? Why? Why not? Where would you go to? Where would you not go?
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Delfino »

During my childhood I did not get the chance to go to England either
because our school had no contacts to schools in other countries.

When I was in university I was in the first group of 26 students
who took part in the summer school at a partner university in Canada.
We stayed at a hall of residence and were not integrated in any families
of local students.
Although I would have welcomed the opportunity to get to know some peoples more personally.
A direct exchange would have not be possible for me (and others)
because my family could not have taken in an exchange student (due to our living situation) and
especially because I don't study in my home town, where my parents are still living.

Btw. in the later years only a very small group of undergraduate students came to Germany.
All their lectures here are tought in English. So I guess the German language,
which none of them spoke and the rather high costs reduce the interest for many of them
to come here.

I think the number of German students who are interested in an student exchange is growing,
but the financial situation of quite a lot of them limits their options.
(rent, bills and tuition fees need to be paid...)
...is supplied without liability.
IELTS 7 Good user: operational command, occasional inaccuracies

boert

Beitrag von boert »

Delfino hat geschrieben: I think the number of German students who are interested in an student exchange is growing,
but the financial situation of quite a lot of them limits their options.
(rent, bills and tuition fees need to be paid...)
But on the other hand there are scholarships, Bafög, etc.
I know it's hard to work yourself through these papers, it takes time and much effort. But it's worth it.

My university for example "forces" me to study abroad for at least six months.
But it's well organized, they support you with language courses and the HS is part of a exchange-network with partners all over the world - it's a very comfortable situation here.

Asection2
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Bis zum 5. Lebensjahr Englisch

Beitrag von Asection2 »

Our teachers always tried to explain, why there was no chance of going
to an english speaking country.
They said it's because they aren't really interested in that.

Don't know why, but there are many french students, who want to come to Germany
though it is always said, that they don't like Germany.

Sounds weird, but that's just the way it is.
Oh Captain, My Captain...

Eagleeye
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: german

Beitrag von Eagleeye »

I have hat the opportunity to be an exchangestudent. Not in England, bit in th e US. It was a great time and I wouldn't want to miss it, but not everyone can afford it.
I did this pivately, not with the help of a school. Schoolsupported exchanges are mostly only for two weeks or so. It's a nice thing, especially if the other students visit you in your home country.
Ans, like it was said before, there are a lot of french people interested in exchange with Germany. I had guests fom France myself when I was in 9th grade. And of course I visited them in France/Lile. That was really nice.
I don't know on which factors it depends that more or less students want to visit other countries, but I thing in general the number should be growing. The world is growing togehter morge and more and it is very important for young people to know not only foreign languages but also other countries and cultures. It would be stupid not to grab every opportunity you get to travel!!!!

Muffy
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Muffy »

My school was very interested in exchange programs with Brazil, England and America.... but I never made use of it (because of our living situation)... and now I regret, that I never take part of it.
Now I'm a student and I wanted to take part in an exchange program, but now I didn't have the time to do it because of my stressful study. And another problem is, that I didn't get Bafög (Federal Law on Support in Education). But I hope that I can make a traineeship in America or England, where I can earn some money to pick up a livelihood.

Never give up your dreams :-) (I should believe in this quote *g*)

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

It is a bit difficult to get a work experience position or traineeship in the UK at the moment. It depends on what you want to do.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Muffy
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Muffy »

I hope to get something about biology....because I want to improve my application for employment and first for my Master of biology.
Can you tell me why it is so difficult to get a job? Because of the financial crisis?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Yes mainly because of the financial crisis.

The employers are quite picky at the moment. Many companies don't hire at all and if they do, they are looking for people with lots of work experience, special skills and they have to be fluent in English.

It depends on where you are trying to find a job though. You said you are looking for a job in the biological environment. I know for sure that the Northeast is mainly steel work, nuclear work, car industry. London is all about finances. There might be a chance that you could find a job in the biological sector down in the Midlands, that means the Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool area.

Maybe it might be worth getting in touch with some universities. Every big city has at least one.

Muffy
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Muffy »

Thank you for your advice. Hope I will find such a work when I have abandoned my Bachelor of Science.

Kliapatra
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: American English

Beitrag von Kliapatra »

I would love to be an exchange student now, and it has always interested me, but I was never very aware of the opportunities available to me in grades 9-12. I had no idea how it worked or how one came to be allowed to enter into such programs. I was also very shy, and the idea of leaving home for so long to go to a place that was so foreign to me, alone, was a little overwhelming.

Now that I'm in college, I would love to go abroad, but I have a very rigorous course plan that might not allow me to study elsewhere, since the classes I am required to take for my major are not offered every semester, and it takes careful planning to fit in all the courses that I want to take. It's a similar situation to Muffy's. Maybe a summer trip? Haha, I need a job, first! And with the way the economy is going, that doesn't seem likely.
Bitte korrigiert mein Deutsch. Ich bin noch Anfänger. (:

Antworten