interpretation

Alles zu Liedern, Filmen und anderen "netten" Sachen.
All about songs, films etc.
Antworten
inmyhead
Bilingual Newbie

interpretation

Beitrag von inmyhead »

Well, okay, since I recognized I have to post in English here's what I want: We have to interpret a poem and this is the one I chose but I don't understand the bold text passage in the context of the rest... so who can help me??
Walls of Jericho - All hail the dead

All hail the ones that take from life without giving back.
What's ours is ours.
Control is all you crave, a fucking paycheck is all you are.

Our world is crashing down before our fucking eyes.
We strive to be perfect in this imperfect world, so watch her starve herself.
Struggle to fit the mold, as she makes her self sick, it should make us all sick.
We can't go on like this, we can't go on like this.
Know your fucking role they say, as they die fighting beauty.
but they never knew that they were truly beautiful.
And we can't go on like this.
With our brainwashed minds, as they die fighting beauty.
because we're slaves to the system
We can't go on like this, let the dead be dead.
You corporate :censored:, it's time to fight this.
The status quo, it's time to fight this.
Our broken families, it's time to fight this.
Your billboard barbie, it's time to fight this.
Let the dead be dead, all hail the dead.

The last sentence doesn't make sense to me, too... Since I think it's a text against a society that builds beauty-ideals for women, I don't understand the rest...

well, thx for your help...
so long...
Vincent

Curie
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Curie »

Welcome!! :freu:

First of all, I don't think that there is a need to post in English, but maybe I haven't recognized that until now.
However, I write back in English in order to practise.

In my opinion, the author wants to say in the bold paragraph that everyone welcomes those who always want to get the best from life. They expect society to do everything for them, but they won't ever do anything for the others espcecially if it would be a kind of action that is not for pleasure.
"What's ours is ours," means " All I have is mine and if the whole world would suffer it would not be my problem".

"Control is all you crave," maybe it says that all that taking from life inevitebly leads to the fact that you get controlled by the system. Taking from life also means to do and to accept nearly everything without asking for the reasons or consequences. Those who behave like this don't realise that they are only asking for control.

"a fucking paycheck is all you are," for those who control the system you are not something special or even a person, but a need to earn their money.

I hope that my interpretation is right, I'm not sure, but I have tried my best. I also hope that there are not too many mistakes in my "dissertation", and that I was / am (I don't know!) able to help you a little bit.
Concerning the last sentence of the poem it doesn't make sense to me either. Who are the dead.
Maybe it has something to do with the walls of Jericho the first part of the title. It could be possible that there exists a metapher similar to the building of the Babylon tower.

LG :wink:

inmyhead
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von inmyhead »

Ok, first of all, thanks a lot for your help, Curie!!
I think it's pretty hard to interpret this text, because it has to fit the ideals of the -scene as well.

So I don't think that the author SERIOUSLY wants to welcome people who won't give back when they take. I don't think you listen much Punk/HC so you can't know and it's not your fault :)
I talked about the text with a classmate and I think it's pretty certain that the first line is meant ironic... Who would welcome people who behave like this??
When they say "What's ours is ours" they could mean that their body is their's and not the body of some people who can tell them how to look like and they are speaking for themselves, against the people who "take from life..."
Well, since caiptalists or however you want to call the oppressors are the enemy it is certain as well, that they want control, but that they can not offer more than money (nothing beyond that, no feelings, no intelligent words... "a fucking paycheck is all you are").

Then the song goes on and the singer (she is female, by the way:) ) explains the situation more detailed... so when she says "let the dead be dead" it could mean that she wants people to leave girls, who have problems with eating, alone, since they have suffered enough from the oppression...

Oh, before I forget: Walls of Jericho is the name of the band, I'm sorry! :)
Maybe I should support my question with a little bit more information, I think.. But thanks a lot, anywas, I'll think about what you wrote 2-3 times, I promise! :wink:

Regards
Vincent

Curie
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Curie »

Oh, sorry I havn't known that your text is from a song, though I should have, because of the caption "Songs, Jokes". :oops: :oops:

You are right, I don't listen to Punk (what does HC mean) very often.

Maybe, I couldn't find the right words in my previous posting, but I didn't mean that the author welcomes those who always take from life.
I supposed that he makes just a general statement of what society does.
Society cheers for the celebrities that's what he criticises.

Walls of Jericho- oh, I'm so embarrassed :oops:

Have a nice day!

inmyhead
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von inmyhead »

Hey, no problem, I didn't expect anyone to know this band, or what HC means.. it's just a short form of by the way :)

Thanks again...
Vincent :lol:

Antworten