Holiday - Memories

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
Hildegard
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Holiday - Memories

Beitrag von Hildegard »

This year I spent a week of my summer holidays in Dresden.

What a city! :big_thumb: It is worth a trip.Those who think about going there one day I would like to encourge to do so:

What did I like most about Dresden?

I liked cycling along the Elbe in the evenings.
I was really impressed by the Semper Opera inside. Although there are no performances at the moment, the baroque ornaments with many antique figures on the ceilings and on the walls were very very beautiful to look at.

I enjoyed listening to the Dresden Philarmonic Orchestra.

I visited the famous Dresdener Frauenkirche. I was a bit surprised how small this church is.

There is a lot of building and restoration work going on in Dresden. I saw beautiful gardens and nice Palais, I heard amazing stories about August the Strong and I also saw gardens where probably “Sleeping Beauty “ still sleeps because no gardener nor a Prince has come along for "more than a thousand years".

The Saxon dialect has been quite a challenge for me and although this is also German it seems to be more difficult for me than the English language, sometimes.

What is the meaning of “No” I am afraid I haven’t got the complete meaning of this nice little Saxon word.

The Saxons, however, helped my out of any occuring language problems, sometimes nicely and sometimes quite determined.

Have you ever been to Dresden? Did you like the city?

I think why go to Greece if you can sweat in Saxony! Last week was really really really warm in Dresden.

Maybe anybody else likes to share holiday memories with us here in the forum no matter where you spent your holiday. That would be nice.

Have a nice weekend and nice holidays!!!

Hildegard

P.S. By the way the book "Als ich ein kleiner Junge war " by Erich Kästner gives you a very special idea about Dresden at the time when Kästner lived in Dresden as a small boy.

Kasu
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von Kasu »

Hildegard schreibt: Maybe anybody else likes to share holiday memories with us here in the forum no matter where you spent your holiday. That would be nice.

Da könnt ich tatsächlich viel schreiben vom Urlaub. Aber leider nur deutsch.

LG Kasu

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Oh I thought she was referring to holidays in Dresden :roll: .
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Delfino
Anglo Veteran
Muttersprache: German

Re: Holiday - Memories

Beitrag von Delfino »

Keswick hat geschrieben:Oh I thought she was referring to holidays in Dresden.
No, she said:
Hildegard hat geschrieben:Maybe anybody else likes to share holiday memories with us here in the forum no matter where you spent your holiday. That would be nice.
Btw. I didn't travel anywhere this year - so I've not much to talk about either...

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Ah right :).

I spent one week in Scotland in May. In a beautiful little town called Oban. Oban is in the Western Highlands. We actually stayed on one of the islands near Oban. There are only 200 people living on the island we stayed on, not including cattle :spin: . At the very top of the hills you can find an old cursed graveyard which was interesting to look at. There is a tombstone which looks like it had been cut off. And people say cutting off a tombstone is a very evil curse. So once back at home I got in touch with the National Trust and asked them about the "cursed" tombstone. Well the answer was, that the tombstone had not been cut off. It is a storm damage they said. But you know, I don't really believe them. But that's just the superstitious cultural anthropologist living inside of me :wink: .

My husband and I are going back to the island next May (for a week) for some more investigation and examination :D .

That was my only proper holiday this year. We went to a music festival in August, near Derby and my father visited us last week. I might make a short trip to Germany over Christmas, but I have not made any plans yet.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

fburges
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von fburges »

i spent one week in portugal this summer! in a village called luz, which is sadly famous for the dissapearance of little maddie.
i first got to know that shortly before our holidays were over!
it shocked me, because i really didn't know and i couldn't believe it!
its so quiet and nice there, the people are friendly and the good weather makes you thinking about anything but hurting a little girl (or whatever happend to her!).
yeah, but besides this fact i really can advice this place to everyone!
its a small paradise! the beach isnt really crouded and its full of nice flowers and that typical white houses.

greetings

Antworten