i'm new here! ;)

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
asg_chris
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: german

i'm new here! ;)

Beitrag von asg_chris »

Hello,

i'm a new member and i hope you can help me to improve my english. Now i stay in England (birmingham) until 24.May and its very well. On the beginning i unstood nothing and my Gramma & my vocabulary was very bad. This is the result for 2 months stay in England.

When you want know something about the project make a post.

And please help me to improve my english. Its really important for my future. Perhabs anyone can tell me which mistakes i made in this Post. I hope this Forum can help me.

regards from Birmingham

Chris

LivingInAmerika
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Englisch

Re: i'm new here! ;)

Beitrag von LivingInAmerika »

asg_chris hat geschrieben:Hello,

I'm a new member and i hope you can help me to improve my English. At the moment, I'm staying in England (Birmingham) until May 24th and it's going very well. In the beginning, I understood nothing and my grammar as well as my vocabulary was very bad. This post is the result of staying in England for two months. (If you only say "This is the result of...", then an English speaker could be unsure if you mean to say that your bad grammar and vocabulary is the result of staying in England, ooorrr that your ability to write this post with relatively good English is the result.)

If you want know something about the project make a post. (What exactly is "the project"?)

And please help me to improve my English. It's really important for my future. Perhaps someone can tell me any mistakes I made in this post. I hope this Forum can help me.
Hey, Chris! Your English isn't too bad considering that you've only been learning for 2 months!:D Keep it up!

As you know by now, we don't capitalize every noun in English the way you do in German, but remember that cities, countries, and languages are always capitalized.

zum Beispiel: "I am traveling to America, where I will visit New York and Los Angeles, and I hope to learn English while I'm there! My native language is German, and my hometown is the city of Berlin, which is the capital of Germany."

Erin
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Erin »

Hey Chris,

nice to meet you! May I ask what you are doing in Birmingham? Do you like it?

Regards from Dublin
Erin

asg_chris
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: german

Beitrag von asg_chris »

Hello Erin,

I'm there with the "Leonardo Da Vinci Project". It is a project from the government and it's really very good to improve your english. I arrived England with a very bad english now I can write a sentence. The gramma is anymore not relly good, but I think for 2 months and 2 weeks I learned a lot of the language. I learned a lot about other cultures too. What you think about my english? Are you in Dublin with the same organisation?

best regards

Chris

(Please correct my text, if it's to bad! ;) )
"Hockey players make incredible love. Their strong hip flexors and tight..." - Playboy

BFM
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von BFM »

I'm a new member and i hope you can help me toimprove my English
And please help me to improve my English
Hmmm... LivingInAmerica ... this is your correction of that text. You crossed out the *to* once and then later you didn't.

i think both are right. Right ?

LivingInAmerika
Slow Speller

BFM hat geschrieben:
I'm a new member and i hope you can help me toimprove my English
And please help me to improve my English
Hmmm... LivingInAmerica ... this is your correction of that text. You crossed out the *to* once and then later you didn't.

i think both are right. Right ?
Oops, I guess I missed that second "to" at the end.

While the usage of "to" in both those sentences isn't a very big mistake, it does sound a little unnatural, in the sense that I would rarely see an English speaker use a "to" there, instead simply saying "...help me improve my English."

It's like saying in German, "Ich habe keine Zeit lesen" instead of the usual "Ich habe keine Zeit zu lesen". I'm sure any German would understand that both sentences mean "I learn to read/I'm learning to read", but the first one sounds a bit "funny" without the "zu". In this case, Chris used a "zu"('to') when he didn't need to, so to speak. Like I said, that's not a very big mistake, but he asked for corrections so I gave them.:) Learning German myself, I've found it's often corrections of the smaller and more subtle things about a language that can really help a learner express themselves better in that language.

Does that make sense?

LivingInAmerika
Slow Speller

asg_chris hat geschrieben:Hello Erin,

I'm here with the "Leonardo Da Vinci Project". It is a project from the government and it's really very good for improving your English. I arrived in England with a very bad English, but now I can write a sentence. My grammar is not much better, but I think for 2 months and 2 weeks I have learned a lot of the language. (Saying just "I learned a lot..." could mean that you learned a lot of English, but are no longer learning any. If you want to mean that you learned a lot of English during your stay in England, and that you are still learning more today, then you would use the "have learned" form of the past tense.) I learned a lot about other cultures too.(I assume you mean to use the "have learned" form of the past tense here also, for the same reason as the previous sentence.) What do you think about my English? Are you in Dublin with the same organisation?

best regards

Chris

(Please correct my text, if it's too bad! ;) )
Your English is good for only a couple of months, and you seem to be at the same level I was when I had been learning German for only a couple of months myself. Keep it up!:D

LivingInAmerika
Slow Speller

Sommerset hat geschrieben: You need the "to" here to be correct.
Hmm, I assume you mean in the sense of a shortened version of "help me in order to learn...", which would make sense. I guess you're technically right about the grammar there, though I hardly ever see anyone say/write "in order to" or a shortened version, except with a business letter or something more formal like that. For example, I think most people would say, "Can you help me finish this homework assignment?", rather than "Can you help me to finish this..." in everyday speech/writing.

Erin
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Erin »

asg_chris hat geschrieben:Hello Erin,

I'm there with the "Leonardo Da Vinci Project". It is a project from the government and it's really very good to improve your english. I arrived England with a very bad english now I can write a sentence. The gramma is anymore not relly good, but I think for 2 months and 2 weeks I learned a lot of the language. I learned a lot about other cultures too. What you think about my english? Are you in Dublin with the same organisation?

best regards

Chris

(Please correct my text, if it's to bad! ;) )
Hey Chris,

I absolutely think that for this short time your English is amazing! Did you study other languages before?
I'm in Dublin for a Secondary School year. I'm living with a Irish family and attend school here in Dublin. It's great fun, but also a lot of work.
And after nine month I'm going back to Germany to study for my Abitur.

Erin

Hildegard
Tongue Twister

Beitrag von Hildegard »

Hello everybody,

I am also new here, thank God I don't have to go to school any more.
I am interested in the English language and it used to be one of my favourite subjects at school.
I am here to refresh my English and learn something new.

If I can, I will help you with your English.

Have a nice evening,

Hildegard :)

Antworten