Hey, how's it going...

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
Redfrettchen
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: German

Hey, how's it going...

Beitrag von Redfrettchen »

... I'm Thomas from Berlin, Germany. :)
I've just finished my Abitur this year and I'll start studying mathematics in October. I've been studying English since third grade or so, I've always been interested in learning this language. Didn't have the Leistungskurs (because I'm more of a computer science/math geek ^^), but I kinda ruled the Grundkurs :D

Now I'm trying to maintain and improve my English, mostly by internet communication, i.e. reading and writing in forums, watching videos and vlogs on YouTube, reading English Wikipedia articles etc.
Perhaps I can help someone on here, or more likely be corrected when trying to do so ^^

One day, I'm planning to live in Nea Zealand or Canada, at least temporarily.

So yeah, that's all,
see you 'round,
Thomas

Silent Observer
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von Silent Observer »

Hi Thomas!!
Any particular reason for Canada or New Zealand? (Not the UK or America?) With me, someday I hope to live in Berlin or somewhere in NRW. (Though my German is non-existent at the moment since my high school didn't offer German.... But college starts in less than 2 weeks! Can't wait! :mrgreen: )
What are Leistungskurs and Grundkurs? (I'm not too familiar with how the German schools work)
Wikipedia's great; I love reading random articles.
And this site is for helping each other!
Hope you do stick around, since people tend to post just once and then disappear. :lol:

BTW: I sent you a PM...

Redfrettchen
Tongue Twister

Hello,
hmm, I know cool people in all of these countries, but I got a better overall impression of Canada than of the US. I think it also has political reasons. It's kind of the same with Australia versus New Zealand. New Zealand just seems to be more chilled, haha ^^
I don't mind the UK though, but it's too close - even though some of the Brits deny it, they're still Europeans ;) - Not that I don't like Europe, but if I was leaving Germany, I would rather travel a bit further away.

Ah, Leistungskurs translates to special subject, I think. So you have a few Grundkurse, basic subjects each semester, with 3 lessons a week (2 lessons of PE), and then you have your two special subjects, 5 lessons a week each.

Yeah, the forum doesn't seem to be that active (ok, most people are on holidays now, I think). What I don't like so far, is that it's more like a solution machine. But I don't know, whether this is intended...

Silent Observer
Slow Speller

Ahh, I know what you mean.... America's not too popular anymore... :lol:

Yeah, I've heard the Brits denying their European-ness just because they're not attached to the continent. :lol: And New Zealand is pretty cool too, but it's obviously overshadowed by Australia. (NZ has a special place in my heart because Peter Jackson was born there and he filmed the Lord of the Rings there! Hehe, yes, I'm such a nerd) A lot of my friends want to get out of America and go to Europe! It's Germany for me, Russia for one friend, Spain for another, Sweden for another, and France for another... (Not in Europe, but others have the Japanese dream)

Oh you mean like how (some) people post "correct this!" and that's it? I'm not sure either, but if I can, I'll answer their question or help them out. I know it sounds kinda lame, but I guess it's because sometimes, I didn't get help when I really needed it, so I don't want others to feel like that. (Do I sound like a teacher? lol) I know you said you wanted to improve your English, but I think it's pretty good already! Were you looking to improve your vocabulary/grammar/something else?

Redfrettchen
Tongue Twister

Silent Observer hat geschrieben:Oh you mean like how (some) people post "correct this!" and that's it?
Yeah, exactly, or "translate this!". It appears to me, as if the inquirer doesn't really care about the mistakes, as if they are only interested in the solution of the task. And if someone posts a corrected version, he will come back next time, expecting a complete solution again. It's not really sustainable.
And I don't really feel backed up by the forum rules, if I said "We don't post complete solutions here."
Silent Observer hat geschrieben:I know you said you wanted to improve your English, but I think it's pretty good already!
Silent Observer hat geschrieben:Were you looking to improve your vocabulary/grammar/something else?
Hmm, I think I'm struggeling with prepositions sometimes. Other than that, perhaps just some fine touches, I think.
Check out The Daily English Show on YouTube!

maureencc
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: bilingual British English / German

Beitrag von maureencc »

Hi, you two,

I agree with you that there are far too many people who just post a text and expect people to correct it.

It's a real cheek sometimes when people want us to do a translation for them or do their homework for them.

I think sometimes we have to read "between the lines" and try to find out if they are just lazy good-for-nothings or people who are truly looking for help and hoping to learn something from us. Whatever, we are not under an obligation to answer everyone! As much as anything, it's also a question of our time and energy.

If I have the feeling that someone can learn something from me then I'm pleased to help them. I just don't like being "used".

As a "Brit" I would agree about the Brits very often not feeling particularly European. And I too would be very interested in visiting both Canada and New Zealand.

Thomas, your English is pretty good for a Grundkurs - how many points did you get?

Bye for now
Maureencc
Carpe diem - nutze den Tag

Redfrettchen
Tongue Twister

Hello Maureencc,
I got 14 points in the last two semesters, and 13 points in the (written) Abiturprüfung. But I think my course was the least motivated of all - and we had a discouraging schedule: the first two lessons on Monday and the last lesson on Friday -.-
Check out The Daily English Show on YouTube!

Silent Observer
Slow Speller

Hi Maureencc! I'm assuming that's you in your avatar, right...? :)
Like with any language, you still learn things/words everyday, but how many years did it take you to become fluent in German?

maureencc
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: bilingual British English / German

Beitrag von maureencc »

Hello Thomas,

13 and 14 points are excellent. Congratulations. And keep it up! Whatever anyone does in life, they're going to need English at some point, so it's important to keep working at it.

Hello Silent Observer,

I started to learn German when I went to Grammar School in England and did my A Levels in German, Russian and French. I then went on to Bradford University, Yorkshire, England to study German and Russian, spending 12 months on placement, part Frankfurt and part Leningrad (now St.Petersburg). My languages became as fluent as possible during this time. Six months in the country, totally immersed in the language, certainly gave me the "icing on the cake". Obviously I had an excellent foundation from my studies. I'm also lucky in that I have a perfect German accent - I can easily pick up accents but I shall be eternally grateful to my German teacher who, although also English, spoke German perfectly . I couldn't have asked for a better teacher.

The best way to become fluent fast is to live in the country and not use one's own mother tongue!

Maureen
(and yes, that is me!)
Carpe diem - nutze den Tag

Antworten