Now really posting in this forum for the very first time.

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
Culturist
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: German.

Now really posting in this forum for the very first time.

Beitrag von Culturist »

Good evening,

I have been an English junkie as long as I can remember, but unfortunately I have not got the opportunity to visit any English-speaking country yet, because of financial reasons -- most are just expensive to travel to. Although nearly all of my English teachers at school were exceptionally motivated to make their lessons both interesting and informative, I often felt bored nevertheless.

No matter where attending English lessons in the past, I have always been among the best or the best or even once more competent than my English teacher was. The reason for this could be that I have always felt myself more sensitive to English than to any other modern foreign languages I learnt, but also perhaps a far greater deal to it than many of my fellow students or men might have. Even before I had any knowledge of English, whenever seeing it written or listening to it spoken or sung, I felt as if I had vaguely understood what had been said contextually.

And then, after I had turned into a metalhead on discovering the hard-rock music of the 1970s and 1980s, by translating my favourite bands´ lyrics into German and listening to their music thoroughly, I improved my English, as I see it today, easily. It was also then and by my passion for that sort of music that I began reading in English. First, I read articles and other texts on every aspect of heavy metal and its bands, and then, still prior to any English dictionaries or grammars, I bought my first book, Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. Inspired by Iron Maiden´s musical version of Colridge´s the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, I then ventured on English and later on American literature, which I still enjoy reading :big_thumb:.

As for English literature, I like authors from the 16th to the early 20th centuries best, while avidly reading those great Americans from the 19th and from the Pulp era. Another favourite reading matter of mine is almost every kind of product reviews from the English-speaking Amazons.

Having discovered this English forum which by the way seems to me to be great, I hope this to be the right place to refine my English skills, just by posting in English and being corrected, if need be. In turn, I will, of course, be glad to help you if I can.

Anyhow, I am proud of speaking English rather fluently even if I am likely never to be as good as a native would :( . But what if I did not speak it? Not only would I possibly be barred from world communication, but a good deal of inforamtion would also be unattainable for me. Therefore, I feel pitty for all those who do not have/have not had the chance to learn English (properly), just because it is arguably one of the easiest-to-learn languages in the world.
Zuletzt geändert von Culturist am 25. Apr 2007 06:21, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

sade

Beitrag von sade »

That reminds me of someone I know...Hmm, me. :)
Looks like we have some things in common. I've loved english ever since I had it for the first time in school. The reason could be my father, who's an english teacher, but I think I would have came to the english language without this circumstance, too. So, I started quite early with reading novels, I would guess it's 2 years ago since I read my first one. History novels are great, "The Pillars of Earth" for example.
Ok, what did I do before I found my way to books... Same as you I translated most of my favorite songs into german. What else...? If I played pc-games, I playde them in english. Some months ago our class had the luck to get some finnish exchange partners to Berlin. That's luck cause the're all excellent english speakers. For sure, we're holding our contacts up.
Hmm, a bit about two years being in school left... and I'm totally bored of the english lessons *sigh*

We'll see us on this board for sure, as I'm quite active since my registration here some days ago ;)

Regards,
Piet ~ sade

Gartentyrann
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: German

Beitrag von Gartentyrann »

hehehehe "Jurassic Park" was also one of the first "real" novels that I read in English. Closely followed by "Dracula" :mrgreen:
What part of Germany do you come from?

Antworten