Britain´s new view of Germany

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
fifu
Bilingual Newbie

Britain´s new view of Germany

Beitrag von fifu »

Hi,

In the past the knowledge of Germany from many British people is still restricted to the Second World War and the Nazi past and they knowvery little else about the country. Moreover the feeling of hostility and unease towards everything German was a long cherished tradition the british really seemed fond of. But during the World Cup, the whole British nation learnt its lesson and recognized that the old stereotypes and prejudices have to be overthrown for good.

And now my question:
Do you think this change of attitude towards the Germans will have a lasting effect??? Give reasons for your opinion.

Thank you!!!
Bye

confused
Slow Speller

Beitrag von confused »

I'm not willing to do your homework for you...

but nevertheless it's an interesting topic, we should talk about. I was in Great Britain not long ago (in march I think but I'm not sure) and to be honest, I really was ready and prepared to face prejudices and that sort of things. But in fact no one cared about where we were from... maybe there are still groups or parties which don't trust the Germans, but we have the same problem in our country (as you probably know, there are still Nazis around). So I wouldn't say that this perception of yours concerning the "different" British behaviour towards us is new or was all about the World Cup... hopefully my impression is right.

By the way: Despite the fact that the people over there "accepted" us I don't want to go there again... the landscape and the big cities (I stayed in London during my visit) are ugly (in my opinion) and the weather just sucks :)

best regards
confused

/e
Zuletzt geändert von confused am 7. Sep 2006 14:07, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
oO

boert

Beitrag von boert »

Without the last sentence, I'd have given an answer :o

confused
Slow Speller

Beitrag von confused »

Are you referring to my post, boert?

If so... I'm sorry, but it wasn't my intention to offend you or anyone else. It's just the impression I got from visiting the country and has nothing to do with my general view of Great Britain or the people who live there.

Besides, I'm interested in what you have to say... even if it just keeps the conversation going.
oO

boert

Beitrag von boert »

Hehe. I'm sorry if you got that wrong.

Without fifus last sentence I'd haven given an answer, because apparently it was a normal question and not a "hidden homework".

confused
Slow Speller

Beitrag von confused »

Alright. I thought so but I wasn't sure...
oO

Antworten