Hello from shady Florida.

Write something about yourself (who you are and where you come from).
Antworten
quorn
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: English

Hello from shady Florida.

Beitrag von quorn »

Yes, I know that Florida has a reputation for being sunny. It's the 'Sunshine State' after all. But I live in northern Florida, in a house surrounded by trees that keep their leaves year-round. Direct sunlight is a rare visitor.

Anyway, I'd like to offer my help to anyone trying to learn English. I can read and write a little German, but all my knowledge comes from textbooks.

Nia
Frequent Typer
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Nia »

So, quorn.
What are doing year-round? Working, hobbies etc?
"quorn"? A name?
The knack to fly lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
D. Adams

quorn
Slow Speller

Beitrag von quorn »

Nia:

I'm a part-time web-designer and a part-time chef, but I'm actually just waiting for my girlfriend to finish her studies so I can start mine. I hope to begin graduate school in 2007.

My hobbies include hiking, music, thrift-store shopping, and caring for my cactus garden. I also enjoy travelling when I can afford it.

"Quorn" is a name I picked out at random to identify myself online. It comes from a type of vegetarian "protein mush" (I don't know what else to call it). My real name is Malcolm.

Nia
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von Nia »

I just thougth I heard "quorn" ones before. Who knows?!

Interesting hobbies you have. Unfortunately, I can't even keep cactus plants alive. But music is great. Do you make music by yourself or do you only listen to?

I can't imagine to have two jobs at one time, not even in part-time. Must be hard, waiting for to start your studies and hoping that your girlfriend gets a job after finishing her studies. Suggested it is so or am I wrong?
I myself started a second apprenticeship this week. It's a home-study-course (does this word exist?), so I don't have to quit working. It's going to take 4 years and I can't afford to lose my job during this time. Not only cause of the money, but I wouldn't be allowed to make the exam.
Hope...
D. Adams

quorn
Slow Speller

Beitrag von quorn »

As far as music goes, I used to play in bands. Most of all I enjoyed recording my own songs. I was the type of musician who believes one can overcome a lack of talent through sheer volume. I now confine my love of music to consumerism. In other words, I only play the stereo now.
I just thougth I heard "quorn" ones before. Who knows?!
Maybe I blew you up once in an online game. :)
Unfortunately, I can't even keep cactus plants alive
The secret: Water cacti only when it rains in an arid part of the world. I use Tucson, Arizona. When it rains there, I water my garden.
I can't imagine to have two jobs at one time, not even in part-time.
I work from home as a web-designer, and I only work three days a week as a chef. The chef job is a guaranteed paycheck, whereas my workload as a web designer fluctuates. It's somewhat common in the US for people to have multiple part-time jobs instead of a single, full-time job. Many people will take a part-time job doing something they like in the hope of securing a full-time job in that field. The second job is just for the bills. A funny term for that second job is "McJob," meaning "disposable employment one takes for convienence's sake." "McDonald's" + "job" = McJob.
I myself started a second apprenticeship this week. It's a home-study-course (does this word exist?)
Yes, home-study-course exists as a word. English and German are similar in this respect: we love our compound words. What are you studying? And, if you don't mind my asking, in which part of Germany do you live? Maybe I've been there.
One last thing:
I can't imagine to have two jobs
You need a gerund here, not an infinitive. I can't imagine having two jobs at one time.

Nia
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von Nia »

quorn hat geschrieben:I was the type of musician who believes one can overcome a lack of talent through sheer volume.
I do know...
Maybe I blew you up once in an online game.
Impossible, I only can get online with my mobile and with this I can't play online games. Sad enough.
Many people will take a part-time job doing something they like in the hope of securing a full-time job in that field. The second job is just for the bills.
I've never heard that before, but it's really clever. I can't stop thinking about this method. I extremely like that way.
What are you studying?
I want to become a computer scientist.
And, if you don't mind my asking, in which part of Germany do you live?
It's allright. I work in Frankfurt/Main and live in a smaler town near it.
I was born in the middle of Germany in Thuringia, went to Saxonia for apprenticeship and then to Hessen for working.
You need a gerund here, not an infinitive. I can't imagine having two jobs at one time.
Many thanks!
D. Adams

Kuli
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Kuli »

Hi quorn,

nice to live in Florida ? I have spent my vacation last May in Cape Coral. We have rented a house for about two and a half weeks. The last 10 years there was no need in using english in my job.
But now I want to change the job and now I need it more and more.

I´m an 39 female and perhaps you can teach me english ( I can teach you german) through
email contact.

Think about it and let me know.

Sunny regards, Germany weather is currently 37 Degr. Celsius is overr 100 Degreas Fahrenheit

Kuli

Antworten