Searching for a good book!

Where everybody can talk about anything. Slang is welcome and even encouraged.
Antworten
Sweetie
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: German

Searching for a good book!

Beitrag von Sweetie »

Hey,

I am looking for an English book, which is easy to read and interesting/funny/thrilling etc...Something what I will like to read! It doesn't matter, if it is a drama, a thriller or a lovestory!

Waiting for your proposals!!!

MLS
Story Teller
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von MLS »

We had that question several times before.
Try this: ftopic2080.html

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

Ken Follett is a brilliant author! Grippng stories! Not too hard to read ( on his homepage he says "My aim in constructing sentences is to make the sentence utterly easy to understand, writing what I call transparent prose. I've failed dreadfully if you have to read a sentence twice to figure out what I meant.")

shorty1208
Slow Speller

Beitrag von shorty1208 »

Hi,

I´m reading "Harry Potter" (the english version)
It is better than the german version (my opinion) and it is easy to read.

Sweetie
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Sweetie »

Hey

first of all thank you for your tips! I also like Ken Follet, I read a few books which he wrote, but I never tried to read it in English!
I have already read all the bands of Harry Potter in English and I liked it very much.

I think I will look at your link, thx MLS!!!

CID
Linguistic Guru

Beitrag von CID »

You should always read something you like. If you like Follett in German, you will love it in English :jo:

davie
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: deutsch

Beitrag von davie »

I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU " BLEACHERS" WRITTEN BY JOHN GRISHAM!!! it´s easy to read and easy to undestand!!! the book is also not as long as the bible :D so you will finish reading after a short time!!!

kind regards

dave

MLS
Story Teller

Beitrag von MLS »

davie hat geschrieben:... WRITTEN BY JOHN GRISHAM!!!
I love him :mrgreen:

Sweetie
Slow Speller

Beitrag von Sweetie »

I also like his books, but I only read twoof his books: The Jury and The Firm! I only read them in German, but I like them very much!!!

travelgirl
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von travelgirl »

Try "The Time Traveler´s Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger!!! It´s really an amazing book. I normally don´t like fantasy and stuff like that, but this is different.
I also read "desert flower" by Waris Dirie. It´s quite easy to read an a great thing as well. You don´t want to lay it aside :read:

so have fun reading!

Tobias
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Tobias »

I can really recommend Dan Brown, for example I've read "Angels & Demons" and The Da Vinci Code" and they're brilliant works!

StrinG-SorcereR
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von StrinG-SorcereR »

Good evening,

"The Catcher In The Rye" (J.D. Salinger) is one helluva book! It is written in a very astonishing style and has touched me deep inside like no other work since I've read it. By the way, this book is said to have been the encouragement of Mark David Chapman to kill John Lennon. Since then it was bannend in the United States for I don't know how many years, because policemen have found the work in Chapmans apartment and proclaimed that Salinger's masterpiece was the reason for his deed.

It was also said that its "vulgar" language is badly influencing kids' education (actually this is just s*** ). I just recommend it to everybody who likes to read a goddam (just one of J.D. Salinger's favourite words)
book that, well I don't know how to say, however, maybe "a peep into a frustrated teen, who swims in a hopeless sea of school/:censored:/family/problems without any clue what to do" might be a suitable expression. Well...go for it, I can't express it by using simple words...=)

p.s.: "The Last Unicorn" (Peter S. Beagle) is my new reading, anybody awreddy made some "experiences" with it ?

Yours, SR
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ! -Aleister Crowley-

Ali S.
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Ali S. »

Hello!
My farorite English books are: Freche Mädchen, Freche Bücher in English, Harry Potter (its not so difficult)...
Alina

Rinoa89
Topic Talker
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von Rinoa89 »

My favorite book of all time is definetly jurrasic park. It was a movie quite a while back, but the book was so much better. If you want to read any book that is a science thriller, read jurrasic park. I read it all the time, over and over again. But, soon, maybe today or tommorow, I'll be getting a new book which I have high hopes for called parasite eve. It was orginally japanese, but they translated it into english.

raincat
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von raincat »

Rinoa89 hat geschrieben:My favorite book of all time is definetly jurrasic park. It was a movie quite a while back, but the book was so much better. If you want to read any book that is a science thriller, read jurrasic park. I read it all the time, over and over again. But, soon, maybe today or tommorow, I'll be getting a new book which I have high hopes for called parasite eve. It was orginally japanese, but they translated it into english.

If you are so keen on science thrillers you might get all enthusiastic about Frank Schätzing’s (a German author) The swarm, A Novel of the Deep. I read the German original and was totally fascinated even if I’m not science fiction freak in general.

One of my favoured English books is "Of mice and men" written by John Steinbeck. I was so caught by the story and the characters of the acting persons that its end really filled me with sadness.
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling. Margaret Lee Runbeck

Antworten