Internet Relationships

Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Sabby
Bilingual Newbie

Internet Relationships

Beitrag von Sabby »

Hi folk!

Why not talking about friendships/relationships on the internet? Nowadays more and more couples meet on the net and probably get married in the end. What do you think about that new "trend"? Do you think it is ok to start a relationship? What are your experiences? Worries? Doubts? Nice stories to this topic? You are all very welcome to share your feelings and experiences with me and all the other forum users.

Never us a knife on the wrong end!

Sabby

Kid A
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Kid A »

Well, nice topic. Welcome to the forum.
I made some experiences with the internet as regards friendships. I've made one of my best friends there and we've known each other for roughly 3 years now. In two weeks I will visit her. Luckily she lives not unreachable far away from me and I can take the train.

Every now and then I've met other people in the internet, but I wouldn't call them "friends". I'm just happy to know that there are such people who like the same things like I'm given the possibility to talk to them.

Relationships is a different thing. I know exactly that it is possible to find people you love in some ways via the internet. But I personally want to find my husband not like that. You wanna know the reason? I believe in a thing called "love at the first SIGHT". :lol:

But keep on rockin'
Isabel
-Life is for living-

Gast

Friendship

Beitrag von Gast »

Hi Isabel,

I also "know" people from Japan, Saudi Arabia, the US, the UK, France, Mexico and even China via English language boards. Besides their questions you get in touch with them and talk about their customs, one has invited me to Mexico :lol: , others want to know all about the German food.

That's the world on the internet, my real life is here. But every now and then there will be a real friendship, why not?

Wish you all the best meeting your internet friend. :wink:

CU Ulrike

Rehpotsirhcj
Bilingual Newbie

internet relationships

Beitrag von Rehpotsirhcj »

Hi Sabby.
Great topic :wink:
Myself, I think one of the best things about meeting people on the Internet is the ability to meet people with similar interests. I have a number of interests and hobbies that differ from those of the people around the small town where I live. The Internet allows me get much needed input from others. On the downside however, It seems as though Internet friendships, at least in my experience, tend to dissolve much more readily than those in the real world. I had an Internet friend that I enjoyed talking to for a number of years. At some point that friend just drifted away. Chat and email, which is essentially just letter writing, has its limitations and there comes a point where friendships need to be grounded in the physical world.
My two cents.
-Chris

Gast

Internet

Beitrag von Gast »

Hi Chris,

I completely agree with your opinion.

The internet is good for small talk but not for expecting friendships and businesses.

CU Ulrike

Sabby
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Sabby »

Woah! Thanks a bunch for all your nice messages!
Well, I always thought I wound never find "Mr Right" for me but I did so on the internet. It is really amazing that we both were at the right place at the same time. Strange where love can starts. I was a bit scared of the very fist meeting as my mum told me about a story where a man killed a woman on their first meeting after they got to know each other on the internet. I think she gave him a wrong impression of her or so. Maybe she just wanted to put me off this meeting but deep in my heart I felt it was the right thing and dear, I have never done something more right than this. The net offers you the key to any doors which is really amazing and dangerous at the same time I would say. Any bad experiences?

Carpe Diem

Sabby

Gast

Internet

Beitrag von Gast »

Hi Sabby,
I can understand your Mom because I also had heard of this story.
But why not? In former times women and men tried to get in touch via
an advert in a local paper or magazine which was the similar way.

You have to be cautious when things become closer however give love a chance. :wink:

Wishing you all the best.

CU Ulrike

Baschtel
Topic Talker

Beitrag von Baschtel »

Well, admittedly I fairly unable to produce (long) texts, but I think it to be the best way to advance his language skills :? - if one doesn't intends travelling abroad.
Anyway I persevere to draw a text up even though it is strange - at least as to the form ... :roll:
First of all, I further had had the so-called "Inet-Buddies / Friends)" you mention already. After perceiving that the most of them dismiss me and my demands of a kind of serious relation and friendship respectively, I forsook that "cyber-world" called gaming or something like that. ( I am admittedly averse to remembering that time. )
That example certainly is one of the best instances for this unhuman behaviour to my mind - for there barely are topics dealing with the family, hobbies and other things which belongs actually to real life themes...
Thus I dare state the genuine relation develops only in the environment...
By the way, I think the circle of friends to be more essential than a bunch of utter idiots which are underhanded or verdant frequently.
A couple of the humans surely rejoice when they establish a clan and play together via LAN or so, but oftentimes such relations are very superficial in my point of view.

Unless getting few experiences from that "Inet-dates", I am capable to saying just the trustful people have to be cautious about meeting with partners she or he confides in due to a certain empathy, an immense politeness or even generally nice words.
Some human falls for such aspects - I dare say women primarily are pertained.
Therefore I have relative declining attitude as to the so called modern meeting and furthermore I have seen on television - I don't know if this has been the same report - a documentation showing how perverts organise a meeting with very young girls being 12 - 14 years old.
Otherwise it has pointed at people who put upon his partner to satisfy his so called sexual needs or to ravish them even.
Albeit such reports act as a deterrent, I would like to advise everybody to be hesitant to trust somebody.

bye

Sabby
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Sabby »

Thanks guys!

Very interesting aspects but as far as I am concerned I expected more of this forum. I can't say that my Enlgish has improved at all. On the contrary. The last text was so difficult to read for me so either I am a complete English fool or someone used a form of an English nobody would understand anyway. I am depressed but not only for that reason. Some people live in a kind of a well "bubble" although that is a too nice word to describe the situation I would say. Well, are we just writting meaningless words on the net or do they have a serious thinking behind? Some ppl say you cannot take anything serious here. So how far can a person be trusted you got to know here? Are we just wasting our time while we are on the net talking with people? Should we go on the "street" and make friends there again?

Live's not easy.

Sabby

Sabby
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Sabby »

Sorry for my mistakes!

LIFE'S NOT EASY!!!

Anachronist
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von Anachronist »

Hmmm...nice topic :)

I`ve played online-rpgs for some time and have been a member of several guilds (as they are called in some of these games). In one of these guilds the guild leaders were a married couple. They had met each other in the game first and married just a half year later. For all I know they are beeing happy ever since. So, it seems to be possible to fall in love at the internet (in the internet...on the internet...at the internet...hmmm...well :) ).

I personally can`t imagine, that this could be happening to me. It`s really difficult for me to get in touch with someone at the internet. The only way to communicate is through typing and i think it difficult to get a impression of the personality someone has. There`s no voice, no...uhm...expressions of the face...uhem...and so on. Usually the topics are related to the "place" you`re visiting at the moment (for example a game or some forum) and I`m not good in getting to the personal stuff without knowing or even seeing people. Short: I don`t easily get emotional ties to people at the internet.

The few times I met with people I met online first were really strange. They never were like I imagined - Well, I had guessed that before the meetings took place but still...the surprises were very big sometimes. I would be still interested in meeting "online-people", if I "know" them for a while but I keep my hopes low (And I`m speaking of friendship at the moment :) ).

Again: I hope I was able to write without too many mistakes (Especially since I have no time for correction).

So far

Jörg

Sabby
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Sabby »

Thanks Jörg!

That was a really nice text you wrote but you should not be too negative. Wonderful things just happen at a time you expect them at least. I am sure you have made some of these experiences already. I don't want to sound too much of a snob but nowadays you can exchange lots of emotions via the net you know. The simplest things are words. They can make you cry, laugh, happy, sad, ... Then someone clever invented emoticons ;-) :wink: and so on but hey, if you want to see your sister's baby in Australia -> just buy a web cam and you will feel how much emotions will overcome you! You can get and give so much mental love on the net Jörg, you would never have guessed. Just don't let us forget how wonderful it is to hug a person we love. Let this part of life never be neglected. I hope although you seem to be a busy person you will not miss to give a little kiss each day.

Make love not war!

Sabby

Anachronist
Frequent Typer

Beitrag von Anachronist »

:) I hope I didn`t sound too negative or like i`m having a problem with the internet. I do like it and I do like to talk to people in it a lot. In fact it is a part of my daily life. But the topic is "relationship in the internet" and all I wanted to say is, that I don`t get emotianally connected to people at the internet easily. This does not mean, that the people I meet at the net are completly meaningless to me or something. It`s just that they are far more distant to me, than my friends in the so called real life. And I really like it this way. I think it is unlikely something like a relationship will come to me via the internet, but in my view that`s no problem or sad thing. There are plenty of ways meeting people.

Maybe I should take into account it is a great difference where at the internet you meet people. I do not like chats, because they do not suite my writing stile. In them you have to react and write fast and it's impossible to make long sentences. The way you can possibly speak is very limited. And not only the sentences are short. It is nearly impossible to follow a certain line of thought more than five minutes or to express a complicated thought too. Maybe it would be possible but in the most cases people write a "subject verb object-stile" in chats.

Forums are quite antoher thing. It is possible to select your words with care and to write in a way you like it. The "environment" doesn`t enforce a certain kind of writing stile on you like it is the case in chats.

I hope I got my point straight. My possibilities to express myself in English are very limited at the moment.

Jörg

PS: Is it

"Maybe I should take into account it is a great difference... "

or

"Maybe I should take into account, that it is a great difference..."?

I can`t tell ;(

belle17_87
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von belle17_87 »

Hi Everyone,
Its great to know how everyone thinks about this topic, and I need some help.. me and my boyfriend have been fighting about relationships on the internet, and if they are in fact real or not. In my oppion, I dont see how it can be real, how you can say you have a realationship with someone who youve never spent tim e with in real life, or even met them for that matter, But my boyfriend dont see it that way. See hes had many online "relationships", which he calls relationships for god knows what reason.. hes never met them before, he only types to them.. how is that a real realationship?! Sure its a friendship, but to my boyfriend he thinks friendship and realationship means the same, I think differently. What should I do? Im scared that if we keep fighting over this, we wont have a realationship of our own for much longer.
Thank you for your time!
Love Cole

Gast

Boyfriend

Beitrag von Gast »

Hi,

you're from Newfoundland? Great. Many years ago I used to babysit for a Canadian family living next door who were from your part of country.

BTW internet relations: Just let your boyfriend his opion and don't discuss anymore, I'm sure one day he will make his own expierence. Your real friendship shouldn't suffer because of that. :idea: :wink:

CU Ulrike

Antworten