Let's speak English here.
Antworten
retsiwt
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

How to improve my English skills?

Beitrag von retsiwt »

Hello,
I just want to ask whether you have any tips for me how I can improve my English skills and get more used to the language. Sometimes I feel like that my writing style isn't really English-like. Furthermore, I would really like it when I don't have to think much about what I want to write and how to do it someday.

Do you have any tips for improving my feeling for the language? For example, sometimes I can't decide whether I have to use "when" or "if". Although I know that there are three forms of a conditional clause, I sometimes see an "if" that doesn't match one of them. 

I really appreciate your help.

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: How to improve my English skills?

Beitrag von Keswick »

Good morning,

I am afraid when it comes to grammar you simply have to learn the rules, i.e. you have to learn when to use "when" and when to use "if". There is no way around this. I know learning grammar can be a bit of a tedious task but it's worth it.

In terms of getting a feel for the language I tend to recommend "Sprachstammtische" which can normally be found in universities or language colleges. They're normally free, just a group of people practising English. You could give meetup a go, however since I don't use it myself I can't really say much about it. 
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Slawek_eng
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Polish

Beitrag von Slawek_eng »

Hello
I personally use English lessons via Skype.
A chat with English tutor is giving the sense of self confidence when you see that you can successfully communicate in English.
It costs but has a lot of advantages.
Besides every time I can I watch a English TV programs available by satellite.
It is also possible, to choose English language while watching a movie on some internet platform.

If you want to know all grammar rules, you have to do exercises and write a lot to practice your skills.
I have no more advices.
Regards

Torsten64
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von Torsten64 »

I’d be glad to help. I’m a native English speaker myself, but I also speak German. I enjoy helping people anyway I can. Feel free to ask any question. 

Torsten64
Tongue Twister
Muttersprache: Englisch

Beitrag von Torsten64 »

The best way to improve your English skills is by speaking with a native U.S. or UK speakers.  If not possible, written chat is the next best thing. You still need to keep the grammar study going if you’re not a C1/C2 level student, but the more written or verbal interaction you have with a native speaker the faster you’ll learn. 

Antworten