Let's speak English here.
Antworten
Leonidas80
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

I need some advice

Beitrag von Leonidas80 »

Good evening,
I am very often in London and I have to refresh my English. I studied at home for many months. But when I am in London I am very nervous that's why I always do the same mistakes. I can remember the best time to talk in English was in 2014. I was very self-confident and altough I said some words wrong, it was okay. 
Last year was horrified. It was difficult to understand the people or started a small-talk. I was very disappointed about me. I do hope, I'll be better this time.
Do you have some advice for me how can I use my English in London? I guess, I don't to think too much about the grammar and just talk...
Thank you very much for your time and for your answers.

Warm regards
Leonidas

Keswick
English Legend

Re: I need some advice

Beitrag von Keswick »

Good morning,

The best advice I can give you is to talk. I know it's a bit of a silly advice considering the circumstances, but the reason you are scared of talking is that you don't want to make mistakes. Don't worry about mistakes though. We all make them, even native speakers make them. British people appreciate the fact that you attempt to speak their language, so just do it. Don't try to be perfect, don't think about making mistakes. Just talk. And if someone doesn't understand what you are trying to say, then they will ask. OK? Don't worry :) .

And as for smalltalk, just ask them politely to slow down a tat for you. And I am sure they will.
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

Leonidas80
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Leonidas80 »

Hello keswick,
Thank you. You are right - it is really the best way. Okay, I'll say to myself: Don't think, just talk  :wink:

Duckduck
Anglo Master

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Or even better - according to some quite horrible pop song - Don't talk just kiss ... :band:

No, seriously, I'm sure you'll find that mistakes don't matter all that much and will be getting fewer and fewer after some time.
Best of luck and I envy you a little, :prost:
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

Leonidas80
Bilingual Newbie

Beitrag von Leonidas80 »

Hi duckduck,
Actually, I thought exactly of this song yesterday :lol:
You envy me? Why? Because I am very often in London? My time is only for leisure when we are on holiday. 
Meanwhile just once in a year. But in compare to other people it is often. I think, we can envy business people who have to travel many times a week to London  :wink:

Kyle Connor
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: English

Beitrag von Kyle Connor »

The main purpose of speaking any language it to make sure the other person understands what you want to say and you understand what the other person wants to say.
To be honest, speaking with an accent makes you unique and your tone sexier. So learn the language but don't lose your accent.

kvilmos
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Hungarian

Beitrag von kvilmos »

Best thing you can do for good speaking is to find and use every day quality input materials for lisening, watching sometimes reading.
From guys, teachers, english courses etc. Effortless English is one good example but there are very of them. Maybe put focus on listening .mp3 files or youtoube videos then to memorise grammar. (except if you need a paper for job). If you have need speak how you can without stress but not to force yourself if it is to hard, difficult. A big part is on your speaking partner how patient he/she is. 

Antworten