Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

question about an instance of "als sinnvoll"

Beitrag von edmont »

Wondering which, if either, of my two translations of als sinnvoll is correct. Thank you for any assistance.

Da sich sowohl die Regierung wie führende Industrielle ablehnend verhielten und damit der in den "Kernpunkten" von Johnson als sinnvoll skizzierte Weg über systemüberwindende Formen versperrt war, stand die anwachsende Bewegung nun vor der Herausforderung, eine andere politische Strategie zu entwickeln.

Because both the government and leading industrialists reacted negatively, thus blocking the path to system-changing forms as [those forms were] rationally outlined by Johnson in the [book] "Central Points", the growing movement stood now before the challenge of developing another political strategy.

Because both the government and leading industrialists reacted negatively, thus blocking the path to system-changing forms outlined as rational by Johnson in the [book] "Central Points", the growing movement stood now before the challenge of developing another political strategy.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: question about an instance of "als sinnvoll"

Beitrag von tiorthan »

It's the second one. To get the meaning of the first version you'd have to have "wie" and not "als" in German (and a lot of other changes as well).
I'm not sure about "system-changing" though. "Systemüberwindend", without knowing any context, would seem to me like something that can overcome a system or limitations of a system but would not necessarily have to change the system itself.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Re: question about an instance of "als sinnvoll"

Beitrag von edmont »

tiorthan, thanks very much.   One thing I don't understand. Sinnvoll is thus translated as an adjective, but in the German sentence it has no ending, unlike most other German adjectives. Why in this example does sinnvoll have no ending? Would a literal English translation be an adverb? Again, thank you for your help.

As far as I have been able to find out, systemüberwindend is defined in opposition to systemimmanent. The latter seems to mean changes within a system, while the former seems to mean changes to the system itself.

Antworten