Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

question about an instance of "aber"

Beitrag von edmont »

I'm not clear on how "aber" is functioning in the below German sentence, which begins a chapter in a book. I guess it's possible that "aber" in this instance functions to indicate a qualification or contrast with the end of the preceding chapter, though when I consider the preceding chapter conclusion, I don't quite see how. So maybe aber here functions not to indicate a contrast with the preceding chapter but only as a conjunction with the preceding chapter.  Or perhaps "aber" here is somehow related only to the sentence it is part of. 

Is the meaning of aber in this instance obvious to native German speakers? Or would there have to be more context? Thank you for any assistance with this. 

Gleichsam im Schnittpunkt von Sozial- und Kulturimpuls aber stand am Ende der "Stuttgarter Wochen" die Begründung der Waldorfschule.

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: question about an instance of "aber"

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Hi edmont, :uppy:

I'd translate it with "however".

At the point of intersection (as it were) of the Sozial- und Kulturimpuls, however, the end of the "Stuttgarter Wochen" saw the foundation of the Waldorfschule.

Cheers,
Duckduck
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

Hi Duckduck!  Thank you!
Does it seem usual to start a chapter with a "however"? 

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Hi edmont,

I'm not really sure what you mean.
The first sentence of the chapter doesn't necessarily have to begin with a "however", but it could, e.g. if the preceding chapter listed all kinds of differences and arguments between the adherers of the two different sides (Sozialimpuls and Kulturimpuls) and now the result is to be shown. ( A little like Hegels Dialektik, isn't it... These - Antithese = Synthese).

Philosopherduck :chief:
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

Got it.  Thanks philosopher duck!

Antworten