Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

seeking help to determine referent of "Anspruch" in a passage

Beitrag von edmont »

In the passage below, I am trying to make sure I know which claim "Anspruch" refers to. I have highlighted one claim in red, the other claim in purple. 

English translation #1 assumes Anspruch means the red-highlighted claim.  English translation #2 assumes Anspruch means the purple-highlighted claim.

Man "bekommt keine Sozialerkenntnis, ohne vorher Geisteswissenschaft zu haben". Diese lapidare Aussage Steiners, ...hebt die Notwendigkeit ins Bewußtsein, ein lebendiges, innerlich konstruierendes Denken zu entwickeln, um das richtige Ineinanderwirken der drei Glieder des sozialen Organismus jeweils neu zu realisieren.
    Es ist in diesem Zusammenhang wesentlich anzumerken, daß Steiner die Anthroposophie nicht mit dem Anspruch vorstellt, die allein seligmachende Strömung kultureller Erneuerung zu sein.

It is in this connection essential to note, that Steiner with the claim does not suggest that Anthroposophy is the only saving stream of cultural renewal.

It is in this connection essential to note, that Steiner does not introduce anthroposophy with the claim that it is the only saving stream of cultural renewal.

Are both #1 and #2 possible?  Thank you for any assistance.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: seeking help to determine referent of "Anspruch" in a passage

Beitrag von tiorthan »

It's #2.

For #1 it would have to be "diesem Anspruch"  and then the relative clause wouldn't make any sense.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Re: seeking help to determine referent of "Anspruch" in a passage

Beitrag von edmont »

Thank you very much, tiorthan.  #2 felt right to me as a pattern I'd seen before, but I wasn't sure #1 was ruled out.

Antworten