Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

question about "was alles" in a sentence

Beitrag von edmont »

Have I translated "was alles" correctly below?

Und es ist kein Ruhmesblatt für unsere heutige Zeit, was alles auf solche Heilsbotschaften hereinfällt, wenn sie nur von einem Doktor mit dem notwendigen Selbstbewußtsein vertreten werden.

And it is no glorious chapter of our present time, a time when everyone falls for [is fooled by] such messages of salvation, provided only that they [the messages] are represented by a doctor with the necessary aplomb/self-possession/self-confidence.

Thank you for any assistance.

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: question about "was alles" in a sentence

Beitrag von Duckduck »

edmont hat geschrieben:
Have I translated "was alles" correctly below?

Und es ist kein Ruhmesblatt für unsere heutige Zeit, was alles auf solche Heilsbotschaften hereinfällt, wenn sie nur von einem Doktor mit dem notwendigen Selbstbewußtsein vertreten werden.

And it is no glorious chapter of our present time to see what ( e.g. institutions, parties etc) (and who, i.e. persons) falls for [is fooled by] such messages of salvation, provided only that they [the messages] are represented by a doctor with the necessary aplomb/self-possession/self-confidence.

Thank you for any assistance.
Nearly, but not quite! :)
Not sure that the English is wonderful but this is what is meant...

Duckduck :zpop:
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Re: question about "was alles" in a sentence

Beitrag von edmont »

Duckduck, thanks! :prost: 

I think I might understand exactly now. Let me see if I do. 

Where you have placed "to see what falls for..." could I substitute "to see all that falls for..." ?

Because if I can make that substitution, perhaps then I can get from there directly back to "was alles" -- I just turn it around in my head to get "alles was," and then I'm basically at "all that" -- the "all" being what you inserted: ( e.g. institutions, parties etc) (and who, i.e. persons)

Thus results, "to see all/everything/everyone that falls for ..."

Is "was alles" essentially "all that," as I've explained?  (I'm not concerned with perfect English at this stage, only with the meaning of the German...)

Thanks in advance for any comments!
:zpop:

Antworten