Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

help with a referent of "selbst" in a sentence

Beitrag von edmont »

Below I give two alternative English translations of the last sentence of the German statement below.

The German grammar I guess points to my #1 translation.

But the content of the German statement suggests to me that #2 might be right -- and that if #2 is grammatically wrong, it might still be what the speaker meant to say. 

What do you think?

Das andere ist, daß es sich nicht darum handeln kann, daß, wie Herr Müller auch sagte, die Betriebsräteschaft nicht bloß eine beratende Stimme haben soll. Nein, sie soll sogar nicht bloß eine beschließende Stimme haben, sondern sie soll der eigentliche Verwalter des Betriebes sein. Sie soll einfach im Auftrag der gesamten Arbeiterschaft die Betriebe selbst verwalten.

1) She/It [die Betriebsräteschaft] should simply on behalf of the entire workforce manage the companies themselves.

2) She/It [die Betriebsräteschaft] should herself/itself simply on behalf of the entire workforce manage the companies.

Thank you for any assistance.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: help with a referent of "selbst" in a sentence

Beitrag von tiorthan »

The first translation is correct. Not only would "selbst" be in a different position otherwise but it's also the only meaning that actually fits with the sentence directly before it.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Re: help with a referent of "selbst" in a sentence

Beitrag von edmont »

Thank you, tiorthan!

Antworten