Alles zur englischen Grammatik.
How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

help with the structure of um...zu sentence

Beitrag von edmont »

I am not clear whether "um...zu" below means "in order to." My translation tries to make that work. Have I got the basic logical structure right?

Um die inneren Angelegenheiten der Betriebe zu ordnen, die Arbeitsverhältnisse, insbesondere die Entlassun und Einstellung von Arbeitern zu regeln, ist in den Betrieben zur Wahl of Betriebsräten zu schreiten.

Striding toward the election of works councils in the enterprise is [done] in order to organize the inner affairs of the company and to regulate the work relationships, especially the firing and hiring of employees.

Thank you for any assistance.

edmont
Story Teller

Re: help with the structure of um...zu sentence

Beitrag von edmont »

edmont hat geschrieben: I am not clear whether "um...zu" below means "in order to." My translation tries to make that work. Have I got the basic logical structure right [ in translation (1) or translation (2) ] ?

Um die inneren Angelegenheiten der Betriebe zu ordnen, die Arbeitsverhältnisse, insbesondere die Entlassun und Einstellung von Arbeitern zu regeln, ist in den Betrieben zur Wahl of Betriebsräten zu schreiten.

(1) Striding toward the election of works councils in the enterprise is [done] in order to organize the inner affairs of the company and to regulate the work relationships, especially the firing and hiring of employees.

Thank you for any assistance.
A second translation attempt:

(2) In order to organize the internal affairs of the company, and to regulate the work relationships, particularly the firing and hiring of employees, steps are to be taken toward the election of works councils in the company.

Duckduck
Anglo Master
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Beitrag von Duckduck »

Hi edmont,

Dein zweiter Vorschlag ist der Richtige.

Grüße
Duckduck :prost:
Mein Farbcode für Korrekturen:
Fehler / Stil/Ausdruck / Anmerkung

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

Thanks Duckduck! :prost:

Antworten