How to deal with English grammar.
Antworten
edmont
Story Teller
Muttersprache: English

Question on German adverb strings

Beitrag von edmont »

Here's the problem sentence:
Das Wirtschaftsleben schließlich werde sich unabhängig vom Staat opportunistisch gesund entwickeln -- entsprechend den geographischen Gegebenheiten und ökonomischen Interessen.

My question is with "opportunistisch gesund entwickeln" -- Is there a grammar rule that tells me that opportunistisch modifies entwickeln, not gesund?

Just looking at the word meanings, I assume opportunistisch modifies entwickeln, but in terms of grammar alone, how does one know whether opportunistisch modifies gesund or entwickeln?  In general, if you have a string of adverbs followed by a verb, how do you know if an adverb modifies the next adverb, or modifies the verb at the end of the string?

Thank you for any assistance.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: Question on German adverb strings

Beitrag von tiorthan »

edmont hat geschrieben: My question is with "opportunistisch gesund entwickeln" -- Is there a grammar rule that tells me that opportunistisch modifies entwickeln, not gesund?
I don't think it does. I would expect there to be a comma otherwise.

But, to be honest, I'm not the best candidate to ask about comma rules in German.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

tiorthan,
So you would say that opportunistisch modifies gesund, not entwickeln -- okay, and the lack of a comma might be why ...
Thank you, that takes me a step closer to understanding this. I looked around the internet some for rules about strings of adverbs and how to know whether an adverb in a string modifies the next adverb, or instead modifies the verb at the end of the string, but so far have not found anything on this specific question ...

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Generally adverbs modify the word that follows unless they are part of an enumeration of modifiers for a word following later. You'd mark that through intonation in spoken German and as far as I know with commas in writing.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

edmont
Story Teller

Beitrag von edmont »

Tiorthan, thank you very much for the explanation.

Antworten