Antworten
jess31
Bilingual Newbie
Muttersprache: Deutsch

English pronunciation

Beitrag von jess31 »

Hi, 
my big dream is it to study abroad :D
In general is my English not bad, but I really have to work on my oral English.
I´m watching so many movies in English, but there is still no progress!
Can you give me any advice how I can improve it? 

Thank you in advance! ;D

Keswick
English Legend
Muttersprache: Deutsch

Re: English pronunciation

Beitrag von Keswick »

Hi Jess,

I am not sure whether you're already attending university? If you are, have a look out for language meetings, also sometimes referred to as "Sprachstammtisch". Alternatively I'd suggest trying to find an English speaking fellow student for a language tandem?

BR
Keswick
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Re: English pronunciation

Beitrag von tiorthan »

Just study abroad!

Honestly that's the best advice I have for you. Don't delay studying abroad just because you're not comfortable with your pronunciation. Who even gives a fig? NOBODY!

All an English speaker expects of your pronunciation is that it is understandable. You have an accent? English speakers will find that cute .. really they do. I mean, have you ever heard a Scot talk to a Texan? That's two different worlds! Nobody cares!

So you want to study in a foreign country?

Learn about their culture! And I don't mean stereotypes. I mean learn to not be surprised too much, once you're there. You'll still be surprised by a lot of things that nobody told you. But at least you won't freak out as much as some people do when they realize just how different two first world countries can be.

Learn vocabulary and learn to really understand things! That will be your most important language skill. The more vocabulary you know and more intuitive each word's meaning seems to you the better you'll be able to understand your new neighbors and the better you'll be able to beg for food, or buy it. And no matter how hard you'll try, you'll most likely end up in an area where you will not understand half of what people say to you, because you've just never heard how real people on the street talk. Learn to guess!

Be confident! That's a language skill! It is surprising how much better people can speak foreign languages when they are drunk. Why? Because they don't care if it's present perfect continuous passive they just say what they want to say. Now, I don't want to say: Drink! I want to say: TALK! Just pick a random victim and talk to them in English. It's fun! Speak English with your friends. Speak with yourself, you'll never find anyone who can listen as patiently as yourself. Also talking to yourself is good for your mental health (I'm not kidding, there've been studies). Go to language meetings, if there are some in your area. Annoy your friends by dubbing over a movie. Generally, just get a "feel" for how the language is formed in your mouth.

If, among all that, you still find that your pronunciation is lacking, you'll eventually notice yourself and then you'll be able to actually address that problem on your own. But my advice is: Don't waste your time on a skill that is not useful for 99.9% of foreign language learners.

Who are the remaining 0.01%? Actors and language coaches and some people who are just nut-cases like me who do that for fun. Really, If you want to learn how to pronounce English without an accent, do it for fun. Don't try doing it because of shame for your accent, that's useless.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Antworten