Let's speak English here.
Antworten
GC German
Slow Speller
Muttersprache: Deutsch

The Reluctant Fundamentalist

Beitrag von GC German »

Hello,

Did you know the book or the film "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" by Mohsin Hamid? The book ist so special and very booooooooring but the film is really good. We have to read it for the "A-Level".

What about you?
I am to appreciate, if you will correct any post of me.

Keswick
English Legend

Re: The Reluctant Fundamentalist

Beitrag von Keswick »

GC German hat geschrieben:Hello,

Do you know the book or the film "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" by Mohsin Hamid? The book ist so special and very booooooooring but the film is really good. We have to read it for the "A-Level".

What about you?
Hello,

I have never heard of the book or the film. What is it all about?
Bitte keine Korrektur- / Erklärungsanfragen per PN.
British English (BE) Sprecher.

GC German
Slow Speller

Beitrag von GC German »

It's about a very clever Islamist, which have study at Princeton. He lives and works in the USA and have a normal live until the 11 September attacks. Then he gets hated by all the Americans, just because he's an Islamist, although he has nothing to do with the attacks.

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

GC German hat geschrieben:It's about a very clever moslem, who studied at Princeton. He lives and works in the USA and leads a normal life until the September 11 (those attacks are called September 11, it is like a name) attacks. Then he gets hated by all the Americans, just because he's a moslem, although he had nothing to do with the attacks.
The man is a moslem, right? I am asking because the word "islamist" is being used in a negative way and refers to the violent moslems. Anyway, the story does sound interesting! You said the book is boring though. Why is that?

tiorthan
Lingo Whiz
Muttersprache: de, (pl)

Beitrag von tiorthan »

@Keswick: You missed to adjust the article in front of moslem.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.
MistakeSuggestionYou sure that's right?

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Thank you, tiorthan! :) That's sorted now!

GC German
Slow Speller

Beitrag von GC German »

Oh sorry, I don't know, that there's a difference between "moslem" an "islamist". So he isn't a violent moslem and so not a "islamist".

In the whole book there is a framestory, so the moslem (called Changez) sitting in a restaurant and tells a foreign American his story of life. We never know, why he tells him that "shi*" and who the American is. By this, we don't suffer the answers of the American, so it's just like a endless, useless monologue.

In the film, the story, which is the same in the meaning, is made more exciting, because there is a kidnapping at the beginning and the CIA just know, that the kidnappers are islamistic people. So the foreign American was a agent in the film, which is masks as an journalist. In front of this, he talks in the restaurant to Changez, to get information about his life and how Changez become a professor at the Lahore university, because he wants to write an article about this academe.
The real reason why he wants to get the information is to find the kidnapper(s).
So in the film are more action and the conversation of Changez and the American makes more sence.

GC German
Slow Speller

Beitrag von GC German »

Hey, can anyone please correct my last post? I would be obliged. :wink:

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

GC German hat geschrieben:Oh sorry, I didn't know, that there's a difference between "moslem" and "islamist". So he isn't a violent moslem and therefore he is not an "islamist".

In the whole book there is a framestory, so the moslem (called Changez) sitting in a restaurant and tells a foreign American his life story. We never know, why he tells him that "shi*" (oh VERY bad choice of word!) and who the American is. Because of this we don't have to cope with the answers of the American, and the whole story is just like an endless, useless monologue.

In the film, the story, which is the same as in the book, is made more exciting, because there is a kidnapping at the beginning and all the CIA knows is that the kidnappers are islamists. So the foreign American in the film is an agent, who disguises himself as a journalist. In front of this (what do you mean??), he talks to Changez in the restaurant to obtain information about his life and how Changez became a professor at the Lahore university, because he wants to write an article about the university. The real reason why he wants to get the information is to find the kidnapper(s).
So there is more action and conversation between Changez and the American in the film which provides more information and sense.

GC German
Slow Speller

Beitrag von GC German »

Thank you!! :)

With "In front of this" I mean, that the journalist are to get this information under the circumstance, that he disguises himself as a journalist.

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

GC German hat geschrieben:Thank you!! :)

With "In front of this" I mean, that the journalist is attempting to get the information by disguising himself as a journalist.
Sorry, love, but I still don't understand. What do you want to say in German, please? :wink:

GC German
Slow Speller

Beitrag von GC German »

Gerne. :wink1: Also ich wollte damit sagen, dass der CIA Agent sich unter dem Umstand, dass Changez denkt, er sei ein Journalist, zu Nutzen macht, Informationen von ihm zu bekommen.

Mit "In front of this" meinte ich dann so etwas wie: "Mit diesem Hintergrund [dass Changez denkt, er sein Journalist]..."

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

Ah, okay, verstehe :) . Ich wuerde das jedoch viel einfacher schreiben:

Using this disguise for his benefit, he talksto Changez in the restaurant toobtain information about his life and how Changezbecamea professor at the Lahore university, because he wants to write an article aboutthe university.

Er nutzt diese Verkleidung zu seinem Vorteil und spricht mit Changez. Wie findest du das?

GC German
Slow Speller

Beitrag von GC German »

Oh, okay, thanks! :)

I'll try to answer in English:

In my opinion, this procedure is basically okay, because that's a good way to arrest criminals. No offender will talk about its life, if they know, that the conversation partner is an CIA Agent. :lol:
On the other hand, it is very disrespectful to imply Changez, that he is maybe one of the kidnapper, because the CIA hasn't any evidence, they just know, that Changez is a moslem! That's the only reason, why the CIA questioned Changez.

At the end of the film, we find out, that Changez hasn't anything to do with the kidnapping, just as he hasn't anything to do with the September 11.

All in all, we make the experience, that Changez has a difficult life in America. Just because he is a moslem. That is a very bad prejudice.

Keswick
English Legend

Beitrag von Keswick »

GC German hat geschrieben:Oh, okay, thanks! :)

I'll try to answer in English:

In my opinion this procedure is basically okay, because it is a good way to arrest criminals. No offender would talk about their life, if they knew that their conversation partner is a CIA agent. :lol:
On the other hand, it is very disrespectful to imply that Changez might be one of the kidnappers because the CIA hasn't got any evidence, all they know is that Changez is a moslem! That's the only reason, why the CIA questions Changez.

At the end of the film, we find out, that Changez hasn't anything to do with the kidnapping, just as he hasn't anything to do with the September 11 attacks.

All in all, we experience that Changez has a difficult life in America. Just because he is a moslem. That is a very bad prejudice.

Antworten